🐶 わんわん探偵団・おかわり 🕵 Doggy Detectives 2!

I thought I’d do some cheeky reconnaissance but there isn’t a spreadsheet for me to add vocab to yet :eyes:

3 Likes

I like to know the author’s name when I’m reading a book. However, it always reminds me how Japanese names in kanji are so difficult!

The author of this series is called Akira Sugiyama. In kanji that’s 杉山 亮.

The Sugiyama is actually not too bad. 杉 comes up in level 35 meaning cedar, and the only reading Wanikani teaches you is すぎ.

山 is nice and easy :mountain_snow: :slight_smile:

亮 is one of those annoying late kanji for which Wanikani teaches you no vocabulary! Wanikani teaches the meaning as “clear” with an onyomi reading of りょう. Jisho lists 14 different readings for its use as a single character for a given name, of which あきら is second from the top.

At least now I’ve seen it in the wild I might be a little less miffed next time I get 亮 wrong in one my reviews…

6 Likes

I just bought the ebook from bookwalker. This is my first japanese book. Hopefully I can keep up. (^_^)

5 Likes

Looking forward to it!! :blush:

4 Likes

Haha, thank you :grin: I’ll try to get one up in a few days - I’ve found in the past that sometimes people get confused about how it works if it’s accessible ahead of time.

@Kekuro and @jules1406 - welcome to WaniKani! :crabigator: :sparkles: Awesome to have you with us.

4 Likes

Now how did I not notice…

From the first pages of the author’s Detective Milky series:

4 Likes

Just bought the book from bookwalker. I hope it is not too hard for me. Anyways looking forward to join you all :grinning:

7 Likes

This seems wonderful, thanks for taking the time to organize @Radish8

5 Likes

Looking forward to getting started! Thanks for organizing @Radish8!

5 Likes

I think I’ll join along since the last one was pretty good. I’m interested to see how I’ve improved since then too. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We will all be here to help you out :slight_smile:

Also, @TVojjj - welcome to WaniKani! :crabigator:

5 Likes

WK book club Attempt 2. I started book 1 and dropped out around page 30 or so. I’ve managed to catch up to page 80 or so (half wayish) and plan to finish it in parallel with the book club.

Excited to be participating again.

6 Likes

I also couldn’t quite manage to keep up with the first couple of book clubs I joined, but as my kanji/vocabulary/grammar improved, I was able to do better. I even noticed during my first full book that I was seeing newly-learned items most weeks, and it was thrilling.

Good to have you back with us :dog:

2 Likes

Going to buy my copy today!

7 Likes

What about illustrator, 寬川沙映子 - would it be Hirogawa Saeko?

Jisho entry for name 沙映子

3 Likes

So close!

かわ vs がわ is tricky.

4 Likes

Week 1 is here!

If this is your first book club, please consider setting this thread to “watching”, so that you are notified when I post the weekly discussion threads.

There’s a little bell icon with a drop-down menu below the main reply button for the thread. Click that to open and select “Watching”.

7 Likes

Thanks so much for all your work setting this up; the reading schedule, the intro to the first week, everything!

(P.S. How are you doing with Tier 5?)

2 Likes

My pleasaure :blush:

It’s okay - a bit of a depressing turn of events after the feeling that we were on the home stretch with the vaccine early in December (not that I thought we’d avoid a January lockdown even so), but it’s not really materially different from tier 4 or 3 for us. It’s a terrible time of year for meeting up with people outside even if we were allowed to :confused:

2 Likes

I’ve been delighted (though not entirely surprised) to learn that the subtitle for this book, おかわり, is a pun involving dogs:

7 Likes