Pages 62 - 68

Story 2: うなぎ病院 実験

Start Date: 1st March
Last Week: Case part 1
Next Week: Case part 3

Doggy Detectives 2

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

1 Like

Just finished the reading for this week. Story spoiler below:

Looks like the gang is all assembled. We have Hanae Spitz, Kuroboshii, and all the dogs in the vicinity of the criminal. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next week.

As a whole, I think this weeks reading has been on the easier side. There were a couple tricky parts, I think i’ll add some posts below to start discussion, but nothing so difficult it detracted from the story :slight_smile:

5 Likes

On page 66, there was one conditional, that i’m not 100% on, i’ll put my translation below and see what others think.

人になつかないはずなのに、へんだと思ったら、おかしをいっぱいもらっている。

人になつかないはずなのに へんだ- its strange (edward) shouldn’t be attached to people
と思ったら - if/when I thought
おかしをいっぱいもらっている - lots of snacks are being given (to edward)

overall: When I thought it was strange, Edward shouldn’t be attached to people, lots of snacks were being given to him.

If i’m translating that sentence correctly, the meaning is clear to me, but the grammar feels weird (at least in translation). Is the verb of Spitz “noticing” that snacks are being given just implied in the 2nd half?

4 Likes

Here’s how I view it:

• 「人に懐かないはずなのに、変だ」と思ったら、お菓子を一杯もらっている。

• If you’re thinking, “That’s odd, because he shouldn’t take to people,” it’s because he’s receiving a lot of treats.

Can’t say whether I have it right or wrong, but it’s what sounds correct to me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the question and answers - this was the trickiest passage for me in the Week 7 reading.