[Userscript] WaniKani Part-Of-Speech

Hey guys,

There have been heaps of discussions lately complaining about the lack of POS information (which I agree with, as it is super useful). So,

WaniKani Part-Of-Speech (Beta)

I have written a userscript which will annotate items with:
  1. Additional definitions,
  2. parts-of-speech,
  3. additional notes (“usually written in kana”, etc.)
All of this information has been pulled from edict.

Features

1. Display additional useful information on each item page.
  2. It’s really, really fast.

Feedback

As this is a beta userscript for a beta service, please let me know what you want so I can improve it!
  1. What do you think about the current information being displayed? Should it be displayed somewhere else?
  2. What information would you like to be displayed?
  3. Should I add information about Kanji, or just restrict it to Vocab?
Write your feedback below after either installing the userscript or checking out the screenshot(s) below.

Installation

1. Install Tapermonkey (Google Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox)
  2. Install the script from here (or here, but this is often down).
  3. Make sure it is enabled, then enjoy!
I have tested it in Google Chrome and Firefox. There is no need to enter your API key or perform any configuration.

WARNING: This script is quite large (up to a maximum of 1.7MB). There should be no problems while running it, but installing it might take a bit if you have a slow connection.

Screenshots

Version History

It should now work correctly for words with the ~ prefix (mainly counters).

The edict definition will only be shown during reviews if the meaning was being entered or the ‘more information’ button is pressed.

The edict definition should now be displayed during lessons too.

It works! It should display most of the useful POS + misc notes. It will now show the data for any level (on the vocab page) and during lessons (on the meaning pane) and reviews (on the more-information pane).

Re-designed the placement of the information and processed some additional misc information. The fact that many words have multiple definitions was the main cause of this change (in particular, the word 猫).

Initial version. Only included basic (unprocessed) POS information for all possible glosses.

8 Likes

Looks great!  Just wait until Breadstickninja gets a peep at this.

This looks like it’s gonna be amazing! I’mma install it once I get home. So far it looks great. :slight_smile: Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!

Awesome idea - I’m excited to see it in action!

Thank you! Can’t wait to use it!

I like

Working like a charm!  Thanks so much for making this.  The only thing that I noticed is that the Edict Definitions also appear when WK is only looking for the reading of the Kanji/vocab.  So, when you get a word wrong or when you look at the information for a word you might accidentally see the meaning when you were only looking for the reading.  I can imagine that fixing this would be quite complicated.  Just my thoughts.

Other than that, great work!  It will make a lot of people happy.

This is great. I don’t suppose there’s any way to integrate it with WaniKani Improve, is there?

pushindawood said... Working like a charm!  Thanks so much for making this.  The only thing that I noticed is that the Edict Definitions also appear when WK is only looking for the reading of the Kanji/vocab.  So, when you get a word wrong or when you look at the information for a word you might accidentally see the meaning when you were only looking for the reading.  I can imagine that fixing this would be quite complicated.  Just my thoughts.

Other than that, great work!  It will make a lot of people happy.
This.

And good job ;)

Btw: It seems to work on Firefox during reviews and on the item detail page. There is nothing added during lessons, though i don't know if it is supposed to. If it isn't that would be great too, since it is where we actually learn the word.

Naryoril said...Btw: It seems to work on Firefox during reviews and on the item detail page. There is nothing added during lessons, though i don't know if it is supposed to. If it isn't that would be great too, since it is where we actually learn the word.
 I haven't had any lessons to test it with yet :( I should get some soon, though.

pushindawood said...The only thing that I noticed is that the Edict Definitions also appear when WK is only looking for the reading of the Kanji/vocab.  So, when you get a word wrong or when you look at the information for a word you might accidentally see the meaning when you were only looking for the reading.  I can imagine that fixing this would be quite complicated.  Just my thoughts.
 I did not even think of this. I'll try and implement this later this afternoon.

This looks great. Once you fix the problem that pushindawood mentioned, I’ll certainly install it. I’m using Firefox, so I hope that it works!

jeshuamorrissey said...
The only thing that I noticed is that the Edict Definitions also appear when WK is only looking for the reading of the Kanji/vocab.  So, when you get a word wrong or when you look at the information for a word you might accidentally see the meaning when you were only looking for the reading.  I can imagine that fixing this would be quite complicated.  Just my thoughts.
 Awesome!  Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

Thank you very much. You sir are a legend, always helping out fellow crabigators in need.

Thank you Jeshua you legend!

pushindawood said...
jeshuamorrissey said...
The only thing that I noticed is that the Edict Definitions also appear when WK is only looking for the reading of the Kanji/vocab.  So, when you get a word wrong or when you look at the information for a word you might accidentally see the meaning when you were only looking for the reading.  I can imagine that fixing this would be quite complicated.  Just my thoughts.
 Awesome!  Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
 Just uploaded a new version with the fix. The meaning information will only be displayed if you are currently entering the meaning (it will also display when you click the 'show more information' button).

Edit: I've also tested it on Firefox and it seems to work fine :)

Not sure how you could make this any better.  Excellent work, good sir.  Thanks again.

Oooh, this is great!

Amazing job mate, thanks a lot for this.

And i haven’t encountered any issues on firefox with this so far.

Thanks for the feedback guys :slight_smile:

If you have any other ideas related to this (showing more information, maybe showing inflections of verbs and such, including sample sentences) let me know, I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

TOTAL AWESOMENESS!!!

I have been doing this manually for every vocab and kanji up till now.  I
Perhaps I will sometimes enter my own Meaning notes, but this is so nice to have readily available.

Have many levels does it cover? All 50?

/Goran