Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1

Welcome to the Teasing Master Takagi-san Book Club!

Summary

Middle school students Nishikata and Takagi sit next to each other in class. Takagi, who is in love with Nishikata, enjoys teasing him with embarrassing pranks and jokes. In response, Nishikata creates plans to get his revenge, but they always fail when she identifies his weaknesses and capitalizes on them.

Who should join

We’re reading this as the Absolute Beginner Book Club. This book club aims to help readers who are new to native Japanese content successfully read their first book. It helps if you have finished Genki 1, but don’t be put off if you haven’t yet. You might need to look up more vocab and grammar if you haven’t, but we try to help each other by compiling a shared vocab list and answering each other’s questions. So in short, everyone is most welcome to join!

How it all works

We create a new discussion thread for each chapter. In those threads we discuss everything from vocab and grammar to the characters and story. We try to help each other by contributing to the shared vocab list, by answering each other’s questions and by keeping each other motivated :muscle:

Where to buy

Physical: Amazon JPCD Japan
Digital: Amazon JPKoboBookwalker

We will start reading on 1 May, so if you want a physical copy it’s best to order it as soon as possible.

Schedule

Start date Chapter Page numbers Page count
1 May 1: 消しゴム 4-18 15
8 May 2: プール 20-34 15
15 May 3: 変顔 36-50 15
22 May 4: 筋トレ 52-66 15
29 May 5: 空き缶 69-84 16
5 June 6: 日直 86-100 15
12 June 7: 傘 102-116 15
19 June 8: 風邪 118-132 15
26 June 9: 本屋さん 134-148 15

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Anki deck
Kitsune deck

Participants

Are you planning on reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Nope

0 voters

70 Likes

I actually have this book, so I’ll try to read along

6 Likes

Hello, 4th attempt at doing a book club!

14 Likes

I’m interested if I revisit the book-off near me and find it, but I think the chances would be low. :stuck_out_tongue:

But who knows!

Looking forward to reading this. A bit surprised that it’s ABBC, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

I will try to join, if life permits it. Genki 1 should arrive shortly, so I have some time to study.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen of the first few chapters, it feels like this series is sort of between ABBC and BBC. Chapters are a bit long for ABBC, but a bit short for BBC. (That’s the reason I haven’t nominated 三ツ星カラーズ yet. It’s sort of an in-between as well.)

Hopefully we have a good crop of first/second-time readers who’re ready to see how far their grammar gets them, and to start learning more.

1 Like

Not only are the chapters shorter, I also find that the text density is quite low.

So excited to join this group! Book has been bought from Amazon JP (my bank was not happy about that purchase and temporarily cancelled my card haha!) and can’t wait to start reading - the story sounds so sweet too.

7 Likes

I should clarify: By “chapters are a bit long for ABBC”, I mean compared with some earlier ABBC manga picks. The spareness of text on many pages definitely helps to offset this.

How about a threat to…encourage you :wink:

8 Likes

I’ve ordered my copy, my first ever Manga :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Mine too!! It feels like a milestone!

2 Likes

What do ABBC, BBC etc mean?

3 Likes

Absolute Beginners Book Club
Beginners Book Club

There’s also Intermediate and Advanced! Check out the master list :slight_smile:

We should definitely do a poll after week 1 to see if the tempo is fine for people, it can be hard to judge in advance :confused: But it’s kind of awkward to cut the chapters in half, which is why I went with whole chapters for now.

6 Likes

Hi everyone! :smile: This is my very first time joining the reading club and I can’t wait to start :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

Thank you for asking, I had been wondering but was, apparently, overcome with idleness :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This seems fun! Going to try and finish Genki 1 by may in preparation

4 Likes

I chickened out of the ハイキュウ book club, but I’ll have another go with this. Can’t wait!

4 Likes

My favorite anime, so how could I not join the manga book club? :smile_cat: I’m gonna sort of cheat and start on the からかい上手の(元)高木さん* series in the mean time :stuck_out_tongue:

*spin-off where they’re adults

7 Likes