Week 6 5 June 2021
Chapter 6: 日直
Volume pages 86-100
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home thread Click!
ABBC Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Anki deck
Kitsune deck

Discussion guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the ‘chapter page number’. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable. The ‘chapter page numbers’ are the ones in between the panels on every page, not the ones that occasionally appear at the bottom of the page (those would be the volume page numbers).
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler].

Participants

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along this week
  • I will catch up later
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

8 Likes

That was a cute chapter and I think I got it all well enough! I even managed to get through a panel of one of Nishikata’s internal monologues without needing any lookups or needing to break it down for myself (from a mixture of vocab I already knew, and stuff I’d already looked up in the chapter)

Full chapter spoilers:

They were that close to bringing up their feelings haha. Guess it’s a well worn trope though. Oh well. Takagi talking about how it felt like they were the only two in the world was nice

5 Likes

Adorable chapter, for sure. I feel like I understood what they were saying for pretty much all of it (with at least two notable exceptions where I was having to re-read and break it down a bunch, but more on that later), so the questions I have are mostly just questioning why certain things are said the way they are… EDIT: Well, actually, this is no longer the case, since I answered my own questions for that! The only two questions I have now are the ones where I wasn’t sure of my intepretation. :sweat_smile:

Pg. 5

「危ない… 一瞬とはいえ油断して鼻歌を歌うところだった…」

I interpreted this (quite freely) to mean, “That was dangerous… Even if it was just for a moment, I was almost inattentive and began humming…”

So, this took me ages to come up with. とはいえ was listed as “nonetheless,” in the vocabulary sheet, but I couldn’t find a way that would line up in the context (perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can, though), so I spent a long while looking into to the phrase and came across some examples of it being used in conjunction with intervals of time in a similar way as I translated above, and that’s when it sort of clicked for me. Am I looking at that right?

I mean, this is N1 grammar, if Google is to be trusted, so I guess not understanding it right now is pretty well expected, but I still would like to at least get a slight grasp. Please correct me if I’m totally out of line with how I translated this sentence!

Pg. 7

「あーあ。日直の仕事めんどくさいからやらないでおこー。黒板とかふかなくてもバレないしー。」

“Aahh. Class duty is such a pain, so I’m not gonna do it. I won’t be found out even if I don’t write on the blackboard, so…(it doesn’t matter)~”

This one took me quite a while, and I am still not super positive. The kana in the final sentence is where I started to lose the plot a bit, plus し as a sentence ender, which I have seen before, but can never remember what it is until I look it up.

My breakdown:

黒板とか = the blackboard. とか is a particle with a few different meanings. I took this as the sort of “softener” meaning, but didn’t really translate it into English because I couldn’t do so in a way that made sense.

ふかなくても = even if I don’t write. This was the part of the sentence that really tripped me up. I could not figure out what it was meaning at all. I knew ても was a grammar point, so that wasn’t hard, but the ふかくなく really had me tearing my hair out until I decided to read it as 不書くなく… I am still not 100% positive though, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

バレない = negative form of to be found out/exposed, etc.

し = sentence ender that can kind of act like “because”. Sometimes it means the sentence it is attached to explains the preceding sentence, other times, it is Japanese assuming the context will give you what is intended to follow. I took the latter intepretation, and assumed “it doesn’t matter” was the intended follow-up.

Pg. 8

「さて…どこにいるんだ、高木さんのことだ。いないなんてことはないはず…」

“Now…where are you, Takagi-san? There’s no way she isn’t in here…”

I was initially going to ask for a clarification on the grammar here, since はず seemed unnecessary, but I actually found the answer after double-checking that I was making my question clear enough. Sooo, nevermind, but here is a link to what I read in case somebody else gets confusef too. It mentions はず being used as a double-negative.

How to use はず ( = hazu) – Maggie Sensei

Pg. 15

「このまま誰もこなきゃいいのにね。」

“I hope that nobody else comes.”

Okay. So, first of all. Effin’ squeee, y’all. (Sorry, cute aggression was HUUUGE here.) That’s all. I originally was going to ask for a breakdown because I knew the meaning but couldn’t place where I got “I hope” from, but when the cute aggression wore off (well, mostly), I realised it came from the 「いいの」and I was being silly. But really, you don’t have to be learning Japanese to get what this face means:

Okay. Cute aggression is coming back, so let’s move on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaand actually, that’s it. I thought I had another question, but when I re-read the last page, it didn’t come up again, so it must have been something I just missed the first time and picked up on the second. I didn’t do handwritten notes this time to reference, either, so. :man_shrugging: Must have been the cute aggression from before blocking my cognitive functions when I first read it.

As always, thanks to everyone here. You’re all fantastic!

8 Likes
Re:page7

So I think here とか is being used as listing examples (“and the like”) and ふかなくて is “to wipe/clean” (dictionary form with kanji is 拭く) so it would end up being something like “even if I don’t clean the blackboard and stuff”

8 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense. I initially thought to write because at the beginning of the chapter, he mentioned writing a log, so that’s where my brain went, plus with 不 being a negating kanji, though I have only ever seen it in specific compound words, so I was not at all confident in that being a thing. 書かない was what I was pretty sure it would have to be, to be correct. :sweat_smile: but since I hadn’t run into that word before, I filled in what I could. Eheh.

Edit: jeez, my typos are atrocious today. Forgive me.

Edit 2: oh my goodness, I’m dumb… I did run into the word once before…in this chapter. On pg. 1. In the same bloody sentence that I used to justify to myself the writing explanation. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes
Pages 1-2, did only tiny bit tonight

日直

Class duty
全く。。。面倒だなぁ日直なんて。。。
Really…This class duty is such a pain the a**… // such a trouble
なんで早く行って黒版ふいたり日誌書いたりしなきゃいけないんだ。
Why do I have to come early and do things like wipe the blackboard and write in the class journal…
。。。そうだ、どうせならこのチャンスに。。。
Oh, right…if anything, this is an opportunity…
高木さんの机にいたずらをしかけておくか。。。!
to prepare a prank on Takagi-san’ desk!

I was delighted to see なんて expression again:
面倒だなぁ日直なんて
If it will be coming at me every page, I’ll sure have it mastered.

5 Likes
that evil grinning face is adorable

It’s time to start keeping track of way her actions that hurt him

• she pinched his arm that was in pain already in previous chapters
  • she spooked him to the point he could’ve break his neck in this chapter

And that’s only from what we’ve seen.

Safe to assume his legs or feet will be her next target at some point

6 Likes
Pg 5

After a lot of thought, I agree with your translation. This sentence tripped me up quite a bit. One reason was とはいえ that I’d never seen before (this is the particle は, right? pronounced wa?), but the other was that I couldn’t figure out what humming had to do with anything. At first I thought the subject might be Takagi, because if she hummed she would be found out. But he couldn’t know whether she was about to hum or not, nor would he worry about it. Then I thought humming might be an expression meaning to be careless, but I found nothing to support this. So then I arrived at the exact same conclusion as you. I suppose it’s still sort of a metaphor for being careless.

So that comes from ばれる?? Damn that katakana. Makes sense though.

4 Likes
Pg. 5 the Third

The humming threw me for a loop too, but I had the same thought process as you and reached the same conclusion: it indicates carelessness/letting one’s guard down. It works, but it seemed a bit out of left field, so to speak.

Yes, it is the particle は. And this was my first time running into the grammar point, also. Maggie-sensei didn’t have a page on it, so I had to do a lot more digging around and reading to find something on it, which always makes me a little nervous that I’m going to find something that gives me wrong information. Regardless, it seems to be a pretty high-level grammar point, so I don’t know that it is something most of us will have seen at all. I’m hoping somebody here has, though, and can confirm our interpretation. :sweat_smile:

It sure does. The katakana made me have to look at it twice, too. I’m not sure if this is going to be a common thing in other books, or if it is just the tendency of this mangaka to use the katana at seemingly arbitrary points. Sometimes, it makes sense; other times, I don’t understand it. In this case, I wonder if maybe the ばれ is an on’yomi reading, but I suspect it’s not… It just doesn’t match with what is usually an on’yomi sound. If it’s not, though, I’m not really sure why it would be in katakana. Emphasising that part of the sentence doesn’t seem like it would be the purpose here, so I’m at a loss as to the intent behind using katakana. Maybe he says that part a bit louder? But then it would be bolded, if we go off of how other panels indicate that… soooo, yeah. Back to being at a loss. Heh. :sweat_smile:

Eep. Pardon my ranting. This turned into a much longer reply than I intended.

4 Likes

Good that you’re getting a sense for what on’yomi usually sound like. Indeed, it isn’t, as far as I know.

I’m not sure about other words (I’m not reading along; I just decided to pop in), but I can say that バレる is an extremely common way to write this word on the internet, especially as「バレた!」I think the idea is that it draws more attention to the word and accentuates the sense of shock/surprise/unease: ‘Oh no, I’ve been found out!’ Think of it as… italicising the word?

7 Likes

on page seven, what does the おこ in やらないでおこ do?
is it just some form of ておく? or something else?

4 Likes

I don’t have the book, but does interpreting it as やらないでおこう (roughly ‘let’s not do it for now’) make sense? It’s quite common to shorten the volitional 〜おう into 〜お in informal speech.

7 Likes

yeah it makes perfect sense, thanks a lot. honestly i kinda assumed it was the volitional, because that’s what it sounds like, but i don’t really have the confidence yet to just roll with it when it varies from the standard forms i see in grammar guides, so the help and clarification is much appreciated.

5 Likes

No problem. By the way, since the text is written vertically here, the vertical line you see at the end there is actually the equivalent of the katakana long vowel symbol:「やらないでおこー」That means that, while it wasn’t written in the standard way, you were in fact looking at something with the usual sound (a long O sound at the end of the word) for the volitional form.

6 Likes

that does make a lot of sense now that you mention it, i’ve only really seen or noticed it for characters laughing or extending the sound to a comically long degree, i’ll look out for this from now on instead of just glancing over those long vowel symbols.

5 Likes

Every chapters been pure delight so far, this is not something I would have read without the encouragement from this group so thank you.

9 Likes

Thank you for chiming in! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m glad that there is an explanation for this word, at the very least! Makes me feel better that the other words in the book probably have a reason for it too, and I just need to look into it a little bit more to find that out. For the most part, I have just filed it under something I’ll get a sense for, and because it hasn’t slowed me down too much in developing understanding of the text, I haven’t put the time into figuring out the “why” it’s there, figuring my time could be better spent on learning the grammar that actually trips me up, you know?

4 Likes
Pages 3-6

ふふ。。。少し眠気がとんだぞ。
Haha。。A little bit of sleepiness is nothing! // Ask about とんだ
高木さん。。。もう来てんのか。。。なんで。。。?
Takagi-san…Already came? Why?

誰もいない。
No one is here.
あれ?おかしいな。。。見間違いだったのか。。。?
Huh? Strange… Was it a mistake?

いや。。。かんじるぞ。。。
No! I feel it!
高木さんの気配を。。。
This is a sign that Takagi-san…
どこかに隠れているな。。。!!
is hiding somewhere!!
危ない。。。
That was close!
一瞬とはいえ油断して鼻歌を歌うところだった。。。
From anime: I was about to let my guard down and start humming.
どこだ。。。どこに。。。
Where…where

ふっ。。。甘い。。。甘いよ高木さん。。。
Phew, that’s naive of you Takagi-san.
すき間から上ばきが丸見えだよ。
Through this gap, your slippers are in plain view.
黒版をふこうと近寄った瞬間に驚かせる気だろう。
The moment I come close to wipe the black board, you’ll surprise me. //Grammar is tricky
けど、そうはいかないよ。
However, that’s not going to happen!

I’ve also struggled with “humming” sentence on page 5, and decided to use anime version. It is nice to rewatch anime bits after reading, since a lot of text matches manga lines exactly, and I can recognise words much better. I’ll ask simpler question :slight_smile:

Question for Page 3
ふふ。。。少し眠気がとんだぞ。
What is とんだ here? There is a word とんだ which I can’t fit. Or it is とん plus だ, in which case what とん is this?

7 Likes

I think it comes from ぶ - to fly
So, according to jisho, it has a bunch of other meanings as well, and I have never seen it be used like this… But I interpreted that as “My sleepiness flew away a little bit.”

6 Likes

So, I could be very wrong here, but, I think that is a form of 飛ぶ, taking the “to disappear/fade” meaning. Number 6 on Jisho.

So the sentence would be, “Fufu… That makes my sleepiness disappear a bit.”

The “that” being what he was scheming previously.

Again, I could be totally wrong. Somebody correct me if I am.

6 Likes