What level should i quit at?

We’ve all been there. You’re in good company.

In the beginning, I was spending over an hour each day on a four-panels of a comic.

The Absolute Beginner Book Club helps by presenting a book or manga for reading at a slow pace, with a large community of fellow readers asking and answering questions.

It’s possible this may be true, but I will always recommend to consider trying one of the following Absolute Beginner Book Club former reads (whatever looks interesting) to see how it goes:

Worst case scenario, you need to spend more time on hiragana, katakana, and basic grammar, as well as learning more basic vocabulary, then you give it another try in a month and see if you’re ready. Just don’t keep putting it off too much. Remember that it’s going to be a struggle early on no matter how long you wait!

Note that not everyone does well with the “decipher as you go” method, so if you try it and find it’s not for you (at least not yet), that’s okay. The books @candus1 suggested, as well as graded readers, are a great way to get that initial confidence boost with material designed for learners.

3 Likes