My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

Oh just to clarify. the “368 days” ACTUALLY LINKS TO THIS THREAD, it did’nt carry over the hyperlink when i copied into here.

2 Likes

Like @dasding I originally found this guide through WaniKani’s welcome email, thinking 368 days? no waaayyy that’s awesome! and promptly clicked and binge read it like five times while waiting for my first reviews haha.

It’s been invaluable for helping me get started, figure my way around, and integrate WK into my new schedule over the past two weeks :sparkles: That workload graph in particular helped me get over that why are the first few levels so sloooww mentality as I realized I’d be adequately crushed by reviews in a few months lol.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this @jprspereira! It’s super useful - and inspiring - for beginners like me. And I appreciate that you, and so many other level 60s, stick around to help us newbies learn the ropes (and read all of our introduction posts ;~;).

9 Likes

The fact that people are coming from WK’s welcome email to here still blows my mind xD I very much appreciate the time you took to read the guide haha :grin: And I’m glad it has been helping you!

Yup! Don’t get me wrong, you also get pretty good at doing reviews! I remember thinking that 20 reviews were too much to handle in one go, but now it’s painless :slight_smile: But being aware that Japanese in general and WK in particular are quite a task is always a plus. It gives you the opportunity to prepare before the storm :wink:

:heart:

5 Likes

I’m glad it got the recognition it deserved!

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement!

It’s so nice that all my senpais are so supportive of me selling my soul to the Crabigator :heart:

6 Likes

Wow it’s already been a month since I read this !

And what’s the number one thing that helped me in this guide ?
Mhhh, I want to say the whole guide, but that doesn’t count !

I’d say getting a schedule down, without one, I would probably struggle more, since I used to do lessons whenever.
Having one made me want to plan ahead, and understand how to plan ahead (I keep a log (pun intended) of my journey and stats now) and it also helped having a good level-up speed.
Then obviouly everything else, whether it’s the awesome scripts or just your own experience doing things.
Anyway, thank you again for this ultimate guide !

2 Likes

Wow, you remembered to come back! Niceeee :durtle_love:

Yup, having a better control of what you’re doing makes it a lot less stressful. I’m using the same schedule concept on my SRS outside of WK and I can’t get tired of it ^^

No, thank you for taking the time :grin: Means a lot.

2 Likes

Schedule and get some sleep! This is where I really gain. I have started saving lesson for mornings when I have lunch free, and this seem to be a solid improvement for me.

1 Like

If I go full-speed from the minute I level up (in 40 hours) til April 6th ish, I’d be level 60. That’s crazy!

できない、 but crazy!

2 Likes

Sleeeeep, so true. I stopped going to bed past 2am recently and it only has done me wonders :ok_hand: though I might need to stop having that coffee after lunch D:

Yeah, the last 10 levels were definitely an adventure xD But you don’t even need to increase intensity if you want. The last levels have less items, which means that even if you maintain the same level of lessons a day, you’ll still level up quicker :wink: That, or start figuring out your next step after lvl 60 :smiling_face:

1 Like

(I have also considered not putting on a can of coffee when I get home from work… and yet, somehow it is now brewing. It is 18:50, btw. I’m not strong enough to resist just yet. D: Habits are quite hard to break!)

1 Like

Both to break and create D:: I have quite some free time every day, but I’m struggling on a daily basis to create some of the habits I want. Aaaaa it never ends xD

Maybe give tea a try instead! :grin:

Sorry that it took me this long to reply back :pray:

2 Likes

It’s step by step, day by day :muscle: :triumph: :3

2 Likes

February is a short month, but it still counts as a month right? :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve had your post bookmarked from only a couple of days after I signed up to WK, and it has been an invaluable resource both for advice and motivation. I’ve now hit level 5 and I’m signed up for at least this next year, hoping to reach at least level 30 by the end of it and hopefully go even further.

The information about how leveling works and your script recommendations are my favourite sections - I now have a setup of about ~20 scripts that I use to enhance WK, and I honestly think that double-check is the main reason I’m sticking with WK after all this time. Gamified learning is fantastic, but I get extremely annoyed when a misspelling or a misreading means a massive setback in the game, and it could easily have killed my focus on learning if I didn’t have that script. Now I understand how the levels are set up, so I can make sure I’m pacing my learning for each level, and I can choose to mark myself as wrong or correct as needed, so I can enjoy all of the benefits of the setup without getting carried away from the true goal of learning. Massive thanks to rfindley too, your code is my lifeline :stuck_out_tongue:

Up next is trying kaniwani again - I need an equivalent of the double check script for it too, but I think it will be a great resource once I have it. Grammar and language focus I’ll need to start working on soon, and I’m hoping the しろくまカフエ book club starting in a few days will drive that exploration in the coming months.

Thank you again for writing this guide, and I’m so glad to see that it is in the new starter emails, as it’s a fantastic guide for everyone and an amazing source of motivation. Glad to know you’ll be sticking around with us a while longer! I’ll be keeping this bookmarked, and hopefully I’ll be joining you for some cake soon enough :slight_smile: ありがとうございます!

4 Likes

Of course it does :green_heart:

Yuuup. Very much the same. What’s important is being aware that we shouldn’t use it for answers that were actually wrong :slight_smile: Knowing that, it’s a pretty cool weapon vs typos/other things ^^

This :point_up:

I believe that if you backspace after a wrong review, you can nullify your answer ^^

Yup, stick to the book clubs and I’m sure you’ll only get lovely results from it ^^ The book clubs have been going for a while, have a great organization and lovely members behind all that effort. It has everything a beginner needs to get that reading fired up :grin:

Thank you for the kind words and for letting me know where you came from! It’s still mindblowing that this guide is added to the welcome emails :sweat_smile:

Thank you once again! :slight_smile: And let me know if there’s something I can help you with!

2 Likes

Hi!

Thanks so much for your guide. I am at level four of Wanikani and this is helping me so much. I am trying to access KameSame but I logged in and then everything is blank. Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks,

Ana

1 Like

Hey, glad it has been useful to you :slight_smile:

I’d suggest leaving a post reporting that on the KameSame’s thread. That’s where the creator of KS can help you out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry you’re having an issue! Send me your OS and browser version. The most common cause for something like this is an older or unsupported browser

1 Like

Hi Searls,

I have chrome in Windows 10. I opened it in Opera and it works there but it is not a browser I normally use.

1 Like

Ok. I just verified the latest Chrome and Windows builds work for me. If you could open developer tools with ctrl-shift-I and click the console tab, it may tell you what the error is.

1 Like

Everyone, I’m in the process of rewriting some parts of the Guide.

I’ve been thinking of removing the reorder script, due to it being easy to be abused. The Guide is being listed in the welcome emails from the behalf of the team, so I think it’s smart to protect the beginners from abuse.

Instead, I’ll be recommending these scripts:

• Lesson Filter
  • SRS Reorder Button (Still not sure about this one - the only thing I find important is reordering by SRS level as it’s less damaging and more productive from a schedule pov to users).

I’ll be also adding the following scripts:

Do you have default settings for this one @rfindley? If so, which ones? A solid default settings would pretty much remove the need to even play with them in the first place (for the average user).

I’m probably forgetting some relevant scripts right now, so feel free to throw suggestions at me. This is just about the script chapter, but I intend to make a much significant change to the Guide. Vacation mode, full speed, schedule chapter, how to handle WK’s intensity, what to look for, etc… everything needs some sort of improvement :slight_smile:

4 Likes