[Request] I REALLY need this

You could just… slow down and read what it’s asking for? 

I’m actually not even that fast

niu said... I'm actually not even that fast
 Then slow down more.

Lol yep ^. What a ridiculous request. Just relax and pay attention. Also you’re wasting your money by paying before the free levels are up.

override script is your way to go. For me, even with that script on, I tend to pres enter twice too fast and I still get those mistakes… and its not " sometimes" 

ok you have two different problems right now. entering reading in the place of the meaning is separate from wk shaking for wrong reading only sometimes.

1) slow down when you do your reviews. you don’t want to get into the zone, you want to be actively engaging with wanikani and paying attention. that will fix your meaning/reading issue.

2) wanikani shakes if you give a different reading for a kanji review, the pink items. that’s because kanji have multiple possible readings, and technically they’re all correct, just not necessarily the one wk is looking for. however, for vocab reviews, the purple items, there’s usually only one correct reading. even if the item is only a single kanji, as a vocab item it has only 1 correct way to read it (most of the time). putting in the on’yomi is wrong because you can’t read it like that as a vocab item. it shouldn’t shake and ask you to try again because you have given it an incorrect answer.

if you really want to, you can use an ignore script, but really not the best idea.
tutorial on scripts: /t/How-to-Install-Userscripts/8319/1
ignore script 1: /t/Wanikani-Override-Userscript-112-Ignore-Answer-Button-No-longer-supported/2846/1
script 1 for firefox: /t/WK-Override-fixed-for-Greasemonkey/7428/1
script 2: /t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/1

edit: so many ninjas

There are several different visual differences between the two as well.

- Above the answer bar, it says “reading” or “meaning”
- Background color above the answer bar is white vs. black
- The prompt in the answer bar is English vs. Japanese
- Typing in the answer bar produces English or Japanese text

As it says in the FAQ, it’s a conscious decision on the part of the site creators to make you check which one the program is looking for rather than entering “review hypnosis” where you’re typing answers without first checking mentally which one the site wants. It’s a strategy to keep you sharp and focused even during long batches of reviews. As Shotty said, you can use an ignore script, but they’re really easy to abuse and they end up getting a lot of people in trouble. Slowing down and trying to pay closer attention to the system is the better strategy.

mahum said...
 Then slow down more.
Typing fast is not the problem, maybe lack of concentration is. After a few reviews I get really focus on an item to remember the mnemonic and that may take a while. After I found the answer I type it in, but by then I completely forgot the request. It's a reflex.
drhoges said... Lol yep ^. What a ridiculous request. Just relax and pay attention. Also you're wasting your money by paying before the free levels are up.
 I don't think that trying to avoid wasting time and money is a ridiculous request. Cos if my request is ridiculous, then they should remove the "on'yomi/kun'yomi" message from Wanikani.

I am aware that the first 3 levels are free. It was a mistake, but there's a reason why I paid in advance. Kinda long to explain, but thanks for your comment.
Skirmitch said... override script is your way to go. For me, even with that script on, I tend to pres enter twice too fast and I still get those mistakes... and its not " sometimes" 
 Oh I saw that one, but I probably misunderstood the way it works. Thanks!

Ignore script is love, ignore script is life. Don’t listen to the people who say it’s a bad thing, I actually think it’s kind of dumb that it’s not built it but the wonderful API/plugin functionality solves most of your woes. I absolutely swear by it and would have quit WK very early on if it weren’t for it. Just five minutes ago I said the correct reading out loud as I fat fingered something. Hit ~, type it correctly. Bam, nothing lost.

That said, maybe 1/1000 times I mess up reading/definition. I think that’s really on you. Just notice that you’re seeing latin characters and not hiragana and your brain should pick up on it.

I also acted hastily and bought a couple days before I got lvl 4, doesn’t matter a whole lot in the long run.

The on and kun readings are part of learning and they become very important later on. Trying not to waste time by entering the incorrect answer too quickly is completely contradictory. You wanting the website to change because you’re too hasty is ridiculous. Like someone said earlier, it is intentional and helpful for the learning experience. Slow down and pay attention.

niu said...
mahum said...
 Then slow down more.
Typing fast is not the problem, maybe lack of concentration is. After a few reviews I get really focus on an item to remember the mnemonic and that may take a while. After I found the answer I type it in, but by then I completely forgot the request. It's a reflex.
I'm not saying your typing is fast. It's just that you're not taking the time to really see what they're even asking. When you start typing the meaning for the reading, the letters change into hiragana. That should be an indicator that you're typing the incorrect one. Or when you're typing the reading into the meaning, the word itself looks weird. 

先生
If I typed 'sensei' doesn't that look weird? same with てあちぇr. 
You need to take a breath, slow down, see what they're asking and concentrate. If it is happening frequently you need to definitely work on it. 
BreadstickNinja said...- The prompt in the answer bar is English vs. Japanese
 I've never noticed this. I'll try to pay more attention to the answer bar then, maybe it'll help.

Also, I've read the FAQ before starting to use WaniKani and I remember that part. Although, to be honest, I think it's in their interest to not giving you that option. The more mistakes you make, the longer your subscription is likely going to last.
If the WaniKani team and the community give you the option to use the Override script (which is WAY more dangerous of what I'm asking), then I think that an user should also have the option to re-type an answer if he wrote the reading instead of the meaning.
niu said...
 I've never noticed this. I'll try to pay more attention to the answer bar then, maybe it'll help.

Also, I've read the FAQ before starting to use WaniKani and I remember that part. Although, to be honest, I think it's in their interest to not giving you that option. The more mistakes you make, the longer your subscription is likely going to last.
If the WaniKani team and the community give you the option to use the Override script (which is WAY more dangerous of what I'm asking), then I think that an user should also have the option to re-type an answer if he wrote the reading instead of the meaning.
 they want you to learn, not make mistakes. also, a couple mistakes doesn't really extend your time on wanikani by much, not enough to really matter to them. also, the first override userscript i linked doesn't mark the answer as correct. it tells wk that you haven't answered it yet and sends it back into the review queue for you to try again.
niu said...

If you're botching items it really does come down to needing to pay a bit more attention when you're entering them in. I used to make a lot of those kinds of mistakes in the early levels XD It took me a bit to pay attention to that answer bar. Eventually it does get easier, and you'll end up getting more used to it :)  I do understand where you're coming from though. I agree that what you're wanting is different from the override script and what it allows for.

I don't use any sort of ignore script or override script. When I make typo mistakes or anything like that I let them happen. For me I essentially think I should've been paying more attention. I don't mind letting them go back into the srs since it's not that many anymore.

Sometimes the mistakes will mean I level a little slower but doesn't usually have a huge effect. I've still been able to go relatively quickly. It took me a little over a year to hit level 50 and I'll hit level 60 sometime in December, so around a year and two-ish months. Hang in there! 
drhoges said... I also acted hastily and bought a couple days before I got lvl 4, doesn't matter a whole lot in the long run. 
 I didn't act hastily, mine was a conscious choice because I thought that I unlocked some lvl 4 items and couldn't see them because I wasn't subscribed. It was a mistake, but yeah a few days won't make a big difference.

drhoges said...The on and kun readings are part of learning and they become very important later on.
Precisely. Therefore it should be ok with you if they get rid of that kun/on warning, right? Because every user should pay more attention to the reading that they have learned during lessons, so it's ok if they fail typing the wrong one,

drhoges said...Trying not to waste time by entering the incorrect answer too quickly is completely contradictory. You wanting the website to change because you're too hasty is ridiculous.
 That is not what I said at all ... have you read anything of what I wrote? Maybe you should start paying more attention too.
sirvorn said...
niu said...

If you're botching items it really does come down to needing to pay a bit more attention when you're entering them in. I used to make a lot of those kinds of mistakes in the early levels XD It took me a bit to pay attention to that answer bar. Eventually it does get easier, and you'll end up getting more used to it :)  I do understand where you're coming from though. I agree that what you're wanting is different from the override script and what it allows for.

I don't use any sort of ignore script or override script. When I make typo mistakes or anything like that I let them happen. For me I essentially think I should've been paying more attention. I don't mind letting them go back into the srs since it's not that many anymore.

Sometimes the mistakes will mean I level a little slower but doesn't usually have a huge effect. I've still been able to go relatively quickly. It took me a little over a year to hit level 50 and I'll hit level 60 sometime in December, so around a year and two months. Hang in there! 
And I totally agree! Typos are actual mistakes and I don't complain about them. If you're chatting with somebody, writing an email or even a book, typos can't be justified.
But when you're reading something you can't confuse the meaning with the reading, therefore I don't think it's fair to be "punished" for that kind of mistakes. That's all I'm trying to say.
niu said... I didn't act hastily, mine was a conscious choice because I thought that I unlocked some lvl 4 items and couldn't see them because I wasn't subscribed. It was a mistake, but yeah a few days won't make a big difference.
I want some of whatever you smoked that day.
ShotgunLagoon said...
niu said...

they want you to learn, not make mistakes. also, a couple mistakes doesn't really extend your time on wanikani by much, not enough to really matter to them. also, the first override userscript i linked doesn't mark the answer as correct. it tells wk that you haven't answered it yet and sends it back into the review queue for you to try again.
 I've just installed it and I'll try it during the next batch of reviews. Thank you!