10分で読める物語 二年生 Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

Welcome to 10分で読める物語 二年生

Where To Buy

Physical: CDJapan | Amazon JP | OMG Japan

eBook: as far as I’m aware, there’s no digital copy available

Discussion Threads

First story: きつねのしゃしん
Second Story: 半日村
Third Story: さるじぞう
Fourth and Fifth Stories: 月よ - and - パンのかけらと小さなあくま
Sixth Story: カンガルーの 赤ちゃん
Seventh Story: 夏休み、ぼくは おばあちゃんに 行った
Eighth to Thirteenth Stories

Reading Schedule

17.08.2019 - 30.08.2019 → First Story: きつねのしゃしん
-1 day break
01.09.2019 - 14.09.2019 → Second Story: 半日村
-1 day break
|
|
06.11.2019 - 13.11.2019 → Sixth Story: カンガルーの 赤ちゃん

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :two_hearts:

Member List

Set your participation status here

11 Likes

Are you planning to read 10分で読める物語 二年生 with us?

• Yes
  • No
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure

0 voters

reserved for Polls and Stuff

1 Like

Okay, so we have a thread for the upcoming reading group of 10分で読める物語 二年生 :smiley:
I have no Idea how to set up those Google drive excel tables, so if somebody can help with that … Would be appreciated.

I will set up a poll for a starting date and schedule later. So wait for it :wink:

for the schedule … I don’t have the book yet. But if it’s like the year one book of the same brand, then I believe 1 story a week might be not enough for some. So maybe we will go for pages per day or pages per week. We will see.

Also don’t forget about 結婚しても恋してる! which will be read at the same time as this book.

4 Likes

I think it is also available on amazon.com. Search for the title in English.

Product details

• Tankobon Hardcover
  • Publisher: Gakken Marketing
  • Language: Japanese
  • ISBN-10: 405203225X
  • ISBN-13: 978-4052032257
  • Package Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.8 x 0.6 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 12.6 ounces
2 Likes

There you go! I believe this link let’s anyone edit the list. (it should be ok now)

1 Like

Thanks a lot, but are you sure it’s the right file and not the one from 結婚しても愛してる ? :thinking:

1 Like

I messed up… just gimme a second here :joy:

Alright it’s live now. I would make a copy just in case anything goes bad. :high_touch:

It’s all fine now. Figured out how to save a copy , too XD Thanks again for the help :+1:

1 Like

Hahaha whoops it’s ok now (it has to be)

glad to help!:+1:t4:

1 Like

First few stories seem to be 15 pages, and looks like there are stories that are more than 20 pages too (and one only 3 it seems =P )

Though I like to read a story in a sitting, to get a more coherent understanding, I think for the absolute beginner group that would be too hard. So guess a page or two per day and turn at midnight like we did on Naze would be best (start at 1, poll to see if we want to increase speed later? )

2 Likes

I don’t really like the idea of setting specific pages for specific days. It seems like it would be enough to do seven pages per week (or whatever pace) and just let it be discussed as a whole.

I guess I haven’t done a club where a one-page per day schedule was used, but it just seems like it would get pretty annoying if you did all the reading on day one, then had to wait six days to ask a question you had about the last page, etc.

(Not to mention the matter of what “midnight” to do the rollover on.)

2 Likes

Japanese midnight :wink:

But we did it for the oposite reason; if we say 7 pages in a week, and people who are fast start asking about page 7 on day two people who needs more time will fall off.

It worked well with Naze. Though honestly I read them in bouts myself, I still saw the benefit for those who did do them daily.

Personally I’d prefer a whole story a week. But that would be too hard for others.

3 Likes

My copy has just arrived and it is a beautiful book.

Sadly, I’m going to be off-line for a month from August to September, so won’t be able to read along at the start, but, considering just how much text there is (more than なぜどして I’d say), I’d definitely suggest we work at a one-page-per-day pace. Any faster and it will be much too fast.

There are 183 pages, meaning we’d take six months to finish the book. That looks right to me.

As for whether there should be a strict page turn as in なぜ, it certainly worked well for that book (it was also very flexible), but we don’t have to duplicate what happened there.

There are 13 stories in the book, so if we did one story per fortnight, that comes out at about the same, right? (Maths, like Japanese, is not my strong point!).

2 Likes

Plus, I was thinking, if people wanted to break the book up into separate threads, then one thread per story, each lasting two weeks, makes sense. The only spanner in the works is the poem on page 106, which is just four or five pages long.

4 Likes

What? No. I planned to do daily threads with this :triumph:

Just kidding. One thread for each story should be fine.

I‘m not sure about the reading schedule yet. Maybe it would even make sense to decide on a new schedule for each story depending on the number of pages. :thinking: but we will figure that out. Still some time until this bookclub is starting

2 Likes

When are we aiming to start? I’m trying to get the book from a friend of a friend that is now in Japan, but I’m not sure if he will get it

1 Like

At the same time as the Manga. So around 10th or 17th of August

2 Likes

So in a month… let’s see if I can get the book by then

2 Likes