10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 8 to 13

Welcome to the thread for stories 8 to 13 from the book 10分で読める物語 二年生!

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

Previous thread (Story 7)

Reading schedule

Independent reading. In other words: no fixed schedule, read when it suits you :slight_smile:

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events on the current page and any content in future pages.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to read later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

You created the thread just to read the book later? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

By the time I had created the thread it was bedtime :joy:

1 Like
Story 9

The cheekiness of the wind makes me think of the Santa Ana Winds song from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend :grin:

1 Like
Story 10

The minister speaking to the king on p. 133 is doing my head in:

少しのもみと、宝石を、いただきとうございます。宝石とて、たねがなければめを出しません。もみは宝石をうえる前に、かみさまにおいのりしますさい、ささげものとしてつかいとうございます。

That 〜とうございます business, it that basically 〜たいです but with this thrown in?

め would appear to be 芽. And based on the rest of the story, もみ would appear to be 籾. But what さい do we have here?

1 Like

Not the foggiest idea. Perhaps some manner of archaic or keigo conjunction?

I am not sure, and it’s the first time I see it used after ます, but my best guess would be that it’s 際 (さい) that can be used formally to say “at the time of” or “when”, in this case “when praying to the gods”.

Similar examples:

https://takoboto.jp/bunpo/256

1 Like

I think that makes perfect sense, thanks!

'Story' 11 (haiku)

For anyone not familiar with haiku conventions (like me), here’s some more information about the やs we see in these three haiku.

And here is some more information about these haiku. Knowing more about the background makes me appreciate them even more :grin:

閑さや岩にしみ入る蝉の声
古池や蛙飛び込む水の音
夏草や兵どもが夢の跡

2 Likes
Story 12

This was the easiest story yet! The repetition makes it very suitable for beginning readers, I think. If only the book had started with this one!

Does anyone have any idea what チャランポ コロンポ might mean?

1 Like

So, uh, for those of us playing at home, where in the story might that be?

Google suggests this: :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoops, could’ve given a page number! Page 156.

Though I am happy I didn’t, or I would’ve missed out on that gem of a video :joy:

Story 13

Had some trouble with the wall of kana on page 167-168. Perhaps someone else can benefit from my sleuthing:

ね = 根
きく = 茎
白玉の みの ➝ のみ (‘only’)

Though I am not sure why it would be のなって. Perhaps I parsed it wrong :thinking:

Also, there’s a Netflix production of story 13: The Tale of Princess Kaguya :grin:

The story says what’s making the noise, no? お城のチャイムが鳴りました

Unless we’re thinking of different productions, that would be a Studio Ghibli production, and Neflix just so happens to have the Ghibli library.

Ah, I guess it didn’t register with me because I had the Big Ben chime in my head. Which チャランポ コロンポ doesn’t seem to match.

You’re quite right, it doesn’t say Netflix Original.

Aye, but I reckon I’d descibe this sound as チャランポ コロンポ:

1 Like