10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 6 (カンガルーの 赤ちゃん)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

Welcome to the thread for the science story called カンガルーの 赤ちゃん from the book 10分で読める物語 二年生!

Start Date: 06.11.2019

Previous thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 4 (お月よ) & 5 (パンのかけらと小さなあくま)

Next thread:

Reading schedule:

• 06.11.2019: page 73
  • 07.11.2019: page 74
  • 08.11.2019: page 75
  • 09.11.2019: page 76
  • 10.11.2019: page 77
  • 11.11.2019: page 78 & 79
  • 12.11.2019: page 80
  • 13.11.2019: page 81 & 82

Vocabulary List

10分で読める物語 二年生 Vocab

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events on the current page and any content in future pages.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I will join a future story

0 voters

Page 73

生まれたばかり の カンガルーの 赤ちゃんの ようすは 、どんなでしょうね ?Wonder what a kangaroo’s newborn baby’s appearance is like? (or more naturally) Have you ever wondered what a newborn kangaroo looks like?

Comments

ばかり 3. just (finished, etc.)​ Usually written using kana alone, after the -ta form of a verb
きみ君はそれをお終えたか」「とんでもないはじ 始めたばかり だ」 * “Have you finished it?” “On the contrary, I’ve just begun.”

I wrote 生まれたばかり as newborn because it sounds better than just born.

でしょう Expression 1. it seems; I think; I guess; I wonder ​ More polite than だろう which appears in a later sentence.
だろう Expression sometimes is omitted

1. seems; I think; I guess; I wonder; I hope

https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/jlpt-n5-grammar-だろう-darou/

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/だろう-darou/

ここは、動物園 です。 This is a zoo.

Fun Facts

https://www.punipunijapan.com/vocab-lesson-5-the-zoo/

カンガルーの ナナの ようすが、へんです。The look of the kangaroo, Nana is strange. (or more naturally) Nana, the kangaroo looks weird.

おなかの ふくろの 中を、しきりに なめて います。She is repeatedly licking the inside of her stomach’s pouch.

「どう したんだろう 。」“I wonder what she is doing.”

しいくがかり の 吉野さんが 近づいて みる と、ナナの おなかの 下の ほうで、何か うごいて います。When Mr. 吉野, the keeper, gets closer, he sees that there is something moving at the bottom of Nana’s belly.

Comments

飼育係の

domesticate, raise, keep, feed

bring up, grow up, raise, rear

person in charge, connection, duty, concern oneself

の nominalize=== Keeper ?// zookeeper?//breeder

みる This word seems obvious but since it is written in hiragana, it could have one of several similar meanings; it’s not terribly important but could lead to a loss of subtle details. I chose the first meaning because it does not seem like he is doing an in depth exam.

見るto see that…; to find that…​Usually written using kana alone, usu. after the -te form of a verb

診るto examine (medically)​

看るto look after (often medically); to take care of​

By the way, does everyone get nominalization of verbs? e.g. 生まれたばかり の and しいくがかり の
I wonder if any verb can be made into a noun this way even if there is already a separate noun that does the job.
Let’s say I did not know the word for a walk as in “good day for a walk in the park” Would I be understood if I nominalized the verb?
ある (歩く) to walk さんぽ (散歩) a walk vs. 歩くの a walk??
Just for grins how would you say: “Fear the walking dead.”?
As for nominalizing adjectives: how would you say “Orange is the new black.”?

1 Like

I think it’s written in hiragana because it looks like the てみる grammar, usually written in hiragana.

Both of these aren’t verbs. ばかり is a particle, and しいくがかり is a noun. The の is for connecting these to the noun they are describing (カンガルー and 吉野さん).

歩くの is more like “(the act of) walking”
I like walking = 歩くのが好き
I like walks = 散歩が好き

I think you would need の for both these sentences in your example:
公園を散歩するのにいい日 (a good day for doing a walk in the park)
公園を歩くのにいい日 (a good day for walking in the park)

1 Like

Let’s see, I read 生まれたばかり の as 生まれた i.e. the past tense of the verb to be born + ばかり i.e a particle that follows the -ta form of a verb + の to nominalize the verb
Rereading my translation though, it looks like newborn is used as an adjective. This tracks with what you said… confusing.

As for しいくがかり の, I just pieced it together from its parts (verb+verb+noun) + の. In this case, I do think it is a noun ( a person who keeps/raises/breeds).

Page 74

子どもの 小指の 先 くらい しか ない ピンク色の 小さな かたまり です。

It is a small pink (colored) lump that is only about the size of the tip of a child’s pinky finger.

今度は ナナは、おなかの 下の ほうから、ふくろの 入口までの 毛を すっかり ぬらし 、細い 一本の 道を 作って います。

Now, Nana is thoroughly wetting all the hair from the bottom of her stomach to her pouch’s entrance, creating a narrow, single path.

その 道を ビンク 色の かたまりが、 いっしょうけんめい 上ろうと しているでは ありませんか。Isn’t there a pink lump trying hard to climb up that path?

Grammar

上ろうと
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/try#To_attempt_to_do_something

Change the verb to the volitional form and add 「とする」.
Examples
見る → 見よう → 見ようとする
行く → 行こう → 行こうとする

「あっ 、赤ちゃんだ。」Oh! It’s a baby

Body parts

https://www.punipunijapan.com/fingers/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UanghlP7uFQ

1 Like

Page 75

吉野さんは、思わず 心の中 で さけびました 。

吉野さん exclaimed involuntary to himself. (in his mind)

まるで 、トカゲ か ヘビ の ように、からだを くねらせ ながら 、ゆっくりと 、それでも しっかりと 上って いくのは、 カンガルーの 赤ちゃんだった のです。

It was the baby kangaroo, wiggling its body quite like a lizard or snake while slowly but surely climbing up it.

「がんばれよ。がんばれよ。」Go for it! Do your best!

吉野さんは、手を にぎりしめて おうえんしました 。 吉野さん clenched his hand and cheered.

生まれたばかりの カンガルーの 赤ちゃんは、自分の 力で おかあさんの ふくろの 中に 入ろうと して いろのです。 The newborn baby kangaroo is trying to enter its mother’s pouch by its own power.

EDIT I am unable to post more than 3 replies in a row so page 76 is attached here. This will be my last post unless someone else stops by with a comment.

Page 76

ふくろの 入口まで、 十センチぐらいですが、わずか -センチほどの 大きさの 赤ちゃん にとって は、 たいへんです。 The entrance to the pouch is about 10 cm (away) but that is immense, as far as a baby that is only one cm is concerned .

その間に も ナナは、赤ちゃんの 上る 道すじ を ていねいに ぬらして やっています 。

Meanwhile, Nana is also carefully wetting the baby’s route up. (upward route).

生まれたばかりの 赤ちゃんが、上る とき の じゃまに なるので、立っている 毛を ぬらして、ねかせているのです。She is soaking the standing (guard) hairs and laying them down because they get in the way of the newborn baby when it climbs.

やっと 赤ちゃんが、ふくろの 入り口まで きました。

Finally、 the baby reached the entrance of the pouch.

2 Likes

Ah, kangaroos. It’s like a taste of home.

Though, this thread needs a parental advisory warning. Some of those pictures later on…

Ok, I think I’ll be able to start story 7, and the. Slowly read from 3 to 6

I’m a bit confused on how this works - do you guys translate the whole book?

Yes, we do. One page a day!
You can find the home thread here: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

2 Likes

Page 77

その とき ふしぎな ことが おこりました。 (その時不思議な ことが 起こりました) That’s when a strange thing happened.

いつも は、 チャツクを かたく とじて いるような おなかの ふくろが、ひとりでに そっと ひらいた のです。The home??? that usually seems to stay closed, softly opened by itself.

ななが ふくろの 入口を ゆるめた のでしょう。Nana’s pouch entrance must have relaxed.

するっと 赤ちゃんは ふくろの 中に 入りました。 The baby smoothly entered the pouch.

凡そ 、四分間ぐらい かかって 、ふくろに はいったのです。Altogether, it took about 4 minutes to enter the pouch.

Fun unverified Facts:
https://www.echidnawalkabout.com.au/kangaroo-joey-facts/

Welcome back. I saw that picture when the book first arrived and thought: oh my! this is for children??
Do you have any personal experience with kangaroos?

1 Like

It’s チャック rather than チャツク, though not entirely sure what it’s doing here. I figure that かたく is the adverbial form of 固い, though.

Unverified by whom? Because those look correct to me.

I’ve seen them, fed them, patted them and so forth. Never watched a new-born joey crawl into the pouch aside from on TV, though (not entirely sure I’d want to see it in real life… :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Page 78

つぎの 日 吉野さんは 赤ちゃんの ことが 心配で、ナナの ところへ いきました。The next day, Mr. 吉野 was worried about the baby and went to Nana’s space (enclosure).

「なな、ちょっとだけ 赤ちゃんを 見せて おくれ。」Nana, show me the baby for just a moment おくれ???..

吉野さんは、ななの おなかの ふくろの 入口を、そっと ひらいて みました。 Mr. 吉野 gently opened the entrance to the pouch and observed.

吉野さんに よく なついて いる ななは、じっと して います 。 Nana is fond of Mr. 吉野, she becomes still. (Since she is familiar with him, she does not resist)

吉野さんが のぞきこむ と、ふくろの 中は、 じっとりと あせばんで いました。When Mr. 吉野 looked into the pouch, it was damp and sweaty (not sure about sweaty).

目を こすって よう 見ると、会う、います、います。If you rub (squint?) your eyes and look, you will see (it), there it is , there it is.

The parts about genders and diet are interesting. I am looking for words to describe groups of animals e.g. what do you call a bunch of kangaroos in japanese? herd, mob, troop, or court ?

2 Likes

汗ばむ = to be sweaty.

Dunno about Japanese, but it’s “mob” in English.

Page 80

ふくろの そこ の ほうに、ちょこんと 赤ちゃんが います。There is a small and quiet baby at the bottom of the pouch.

赤ちゃんは、ふくろの 中で、自分で ちくび を さがし 、それを くわえ たに、 らがい ありません。 The baby must have looked for the nipple in the pouch by itself then put it in its mouth.

comment

さがし typo in the book leaving out the past tense???
探す Godan verb with su ending, Transitive verb

1. to search (for something desired, needed); to look for​, grope

discovered this word まちがいさがし spot the difference (puzzle)

らがい ありません

https://www.japaneseforbeginners.info/2018/12/ni-chigai-nai.html

一週間も すると、赤ちゃんは、おかさんの ふくろの 中に ある ちくびを しっかり くわえ、ごくん ごくんと おささを のむように なります。 In a week, the baby is able to find the nipple in its mother’s pouch and gulp down a drink.

「どうも ありがとう。」Thank you very much.

吉野さんは、そっと ふうろから 手を はなしあした。 Mr. 吉野 gently removed his hand from the pouch.

Nah, it’s an alternate continuative form (i.e. the same meaning as さがして)

2 Likes

Page 81:

赤ちゃんカンガルーは、半年ぐらい ふくろの 中に いて、どんどん 大きく なります。

The baby kangaroo lives in the pouch for about half a year, growing gradually larger.

そして、ふくろから 出たり 入ったりしながら、外の くらしに なれ、一年も すると、もう ふくろの もどる ことも なくなります。

Then, while hopping in and out of the pouch, it becomes accustomed to life outside for as much as a year, while still returning to the pouch.

「こんな 大きな カンガルーのに、生まれたての 赤ちゃんは、子どもの 小指の 先ぐらいだなんで、まるで まほうのようだな。」

“Even though kangaroos are this big, a just-born baby is only the size of the tip of a child’s little finger - it’s just like magic.”

吉野さんは、びっくりして しまいました。

Yoshino-san was completely surprised.

1 Like

When are we expecting to start story 7? I think I’ll be able to join

As we just finished this story, we can start even today :wink:
You can create the topic if you want!

Thanks for the last page. I thought I had finished the story.
Just out of curiosity, do you think people are under the impression that only one person translates a story a a time? Would it be less onerous for folks to sign up to translate one page rather than feel obligated to keep up with every page?

1 Like