10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 3 (さるじぞう)

Join the Absolute Beginner Book Club here!

10分で読める物語 二年生 Home thread

Welcome to the thread for the second Story named さるじぞう from the book 10分で読める物語 二年生!

Start Date: 16.09.2019

Previous thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Story 2 (半日村)

Next thread: 10分で読める物語 二年生 Stories 4 (お月よ) & 5 (パンのかけらと小さなあくま)

Reading schedule:

• 16.09.2019 Page 37
  • 17.09.2019 Page 38
  • 18.09.2019 Page 39
  • 19.09.2019 Page 41

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events on the current page and any content in future pages.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I will join a future story

0 voters

Psst - the OP still has last story’s blurb and start date.

But getting started, then:

さるじぞう

The Monkey Jizo

むかし あったと。

Once upon a time.

となりの 村の となり村に、じっさまと ばっさまが なかよく くらして とったそうな。

Next to the neighbouring village, there lived an old man and an old woman who were very close.

Was the village 半日村? :stuck_out_tongue:

ある とき、じっさまが うら山へ はたけの 草とりに 出かけた。

One day, the old man went out to the mountain behind his house to weed his field.

ばっさまは、そばの こなを こねて、うまそうな そばもちを こしらえ、こんがりと やいて じっさまに もたせた。

The old woman kneaded some soba flour, made some delicious-looking soba mochi, cooked them well, and gave them to the old man.

7 Likes

I hear they go by 一日村 these days :sun_with_face: :laughing:

4 Likes

じっさまが そばもちを つつんだ ふろしきを はたけの わきの きの えだに かけて,

The old man took the sobamochi wrapped in furoshiki (wrapping cloth) and hung it on a tree near the field,

草とりを やっておると、

and continued weeding

うら山の さるどもが わいわいわいわいと やって きおってそ ばもちを 見つけ、

Ura Mountain Monkeys came over very noisily and found the sobamochi

「うんまい、うんまい」と 食べ始めた.

“Delicious, Delicious” they said and began eating.

「こらあーっ」

”Hey!"

4 Likes

I’m superbusy this week… let’s see if I can find some time to read pages 2 and 3 of the story

Page 39:

と、どなろうと したが、さるどもが あんまり うまそうに 食べて おるので、何も 言わず、はたけの すみに 引っくりかえって ねて おった。

… he tried to shout in anger, but because the monkeys seemed to be eating with great relish, without saying anything, he tumbled over in the corner of the field and went to sleep.

…Why? I feel like I’ve missed something here. Or is it a cunning plan? Let’s move on and see…

すると、さるどもは、じっさまを じぞうさまと まちがえて しまうた。

And thereupon, the monkeys mistook the old man for Jizo-sama.

Specifically a statue of him, I presume.

「あんりゃ、こんげな ところに じぞうさまが ころげて いなさる。

"What’s this? Where did this Jizo-sama roll down from?

もったいない。むこう山の おどうに おまつりして あげようじゃねえか。」

“It can’t be helped. Why don’t we take it to the temple on the mountain opposite and have a festival?”

と 言うて、さるどもは、手と 手を 組んで 手車を 作り、その 上に じっさまを すわらせ、じょいやせ、じょいやせと、おみこしを かつぐみたいに して、はこんで いった。

… they said, and the monkeys linked hand to hand to make a hand-car, sat the old man down on top of it, and with a “heave-ho! heave-ho!” they carried him on their shoulders like a portable shrine.

Ok, I know precisely what they’re doing with their hands, because it’s in the image on the next page, but none of the definitions on Jisho for 手車 really describe it…

2 Likes

This story has been a been difficult for me. I keep getting the feeling I’m missing something.
First thing I looked up is “who’s this Jizo-sama?”
Wikipedia says:

Something that took a while to work out:
食べて おる and ねて おった (humble form of いる)
ころげて いなさる (honorific form of する)
Is the whole story being told in very polite manner? Maybe cus it mentions Jizo-sama?

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/honorific

Next is:
こんげな no luck finding what this is… within the context, it sounds like it might be “this sort of (lowly) place” こんげな ところに ??

also:
Is おどう → お堂(public chamber, hall)?

finally:
じょいやせ??? :dizzy_face: is there a dictionary for onomatopoeia? Thanks @Belthazar for the translations.:+1:

3 Likes

Sounds like another gruff grandpa who’s actually a big softy. He saw how much they were enjoying the food and thought it best to let them enjoy it. (A nice person, much like Jizo-sama?) Opted to take a nap break instead of a meal break.

2 Likes

If you visit Japan, you’ll run into statues of Jizo at practically every temple, and almost every second street corner. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’ll also learn the word on Wanikani, in level 33.

Ah yeah, I should have mentioned the style. I’m not sure why the formal language. Perhaps it’s just the manner in which the story is being told.

On a side note, there’s a difference between levels of politeness and levels of formality. For example, なさる is the plain form of the formal verb, while なさいます is the polite form of the formal verb. (And yeah, for some reason, the honorific verbs conjugate ~る > ~います, for example いらっしゃる > いらっしゃいます)

According to Weblio (second half of the page), it’s a fancy-schmancy way of saying このように. Possibly this line should be more like “Why’s Jizo-sama rolled over in a place like this.” Maybe?

That’s how I read it.

Yes there is, though that particular one doesn’t contain じょいやせ. However, you start to recognise the shape of festival-style “heave-ho” chants after a while, like わっしょい (probably the most common) or よいやさー

Moving on to page 41:

じっさまは、みょうな ことに なったわいと 思うたが、だまって じっと 目を つぶって おった。

The old man thought himself in a very strange situation, but he remained silent, and kept his eyes shut.

Not at all sure what わい is doing

川を わたりはじめると、 さるどもは、

おさるの しりは ぬらすとも
じぞうの しりは ぬらすまい

と 歌った。

As the monkeys began to cross a river, they sang,
Even if monkeys’ butts get wet,
Jizo’s butt does not

まい is a negative-forming auxiliary verb.

2 Likes

Page 42:

じっさま おかくして おかくして しょうが なかったが、さるどもが せっかく よろこんで いるのに がっかりさせては 気のどくだと 思うて、やっぱり だまった まま じいっと 目を つぶって おった。

The old man found it extremely amusing, and it couldn’t be helped, but even though the monkeys were enjoying themselves greatly, he was afraid that they would be disappointed, but still he remained silent, and kept his eye shut.

すると、一ぴきの さるが 川ぞこの 石ころに けっつまずいて よろけたもんだから、じっさまは がっくりと とこに かしいで* しまうた。

Thereupon, one monkey stumbled on the rocks on the riverbed, and the old man accidentally drooped to one side.

*かしいで……かたむいて。(over on page 43.)

Basically says “to lean over = to lean over”. Different forms of the same verb - かたむく vs かし

だけんど、それでも じっさまは じっと こらえて かしいだ まんま、目を つぶって おった。

But even so, the old man held his position, and kept his eyes shut.

Not massively confident of some of the nuances on this page.

2 Likes

thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

Welp, on to the next page, I guess…

Are we still doing the running translation?

Page 43:

さるどもは どこからか 千両箱を* かかえて きて、じっさまを だきおこし、かしがぬように おてがった。

The monkeys brought a thousand-ryo box, and sat the old man down on it so that he wouldn’t lean over.

*千両箱……むかしの お金の、一両と いう 小ばんを 入れる 箱。

Thousand-ryo box - A box which holds an old-money coin called a “ryo”.

川を わたると、さるどもは むこう山の おどうに じっさまを まつり、かきやら ぶどうやら おさいせんやら、どっさり もって きて、おそなえした。

Once they’d crossed the river, they enshrined the old man at the temple on the mountain opposite, then brought heaps of things like oysters, grapes, and monetary offerings, and offered them.

I may have made a mistranslation a few pages ago - まつる is a verb…

さるどもが いなく なると、じっさまは 千両箱や おそなえものを もらって、うちへ 帰った。

When the monkeys had gone, the old man took the thousand-ryo box and all the offerings, and went home.

ひらいて、大ばん 小ばんを チャラーン、チャラーンと 数えて おると、となりの ばっさまが、「火だねを 一つ くださらんか。」と 言うて、入って きた。

He opened it, and was counting the oban and koban with a “clink, clink” noise, when the old woman who lived next door came in, and said “would you please let me borrow a coal?”.

3 Likes

I want to. It’s just the fast levels are killing me. And I started to run a again…

2 Likes

Page 44:

そして、たからの 山に こしを ぬかして、「いったい、これは どう した わけだ。」と きいたから、じっさまは、「これこれ、こう いう わけだ」と、語って 聞かせた。

Then, she fell down in shock at the treasure from the mountain. “What on Earth? How did this happen?” she asked, and the old man said “This and that happened” and narrated the story to her.

となりの ばっさまは、「おらとこの じっさまにも じぞさまに なって もらおう。」と 言うて、火だね もらうのも わすれて 帰って いった。

The old woman from next door said “My old man can become Jizo-sama too”, and, forgetting to get a coal, returned home.

2 Likes

Aaand it’s been four days, so moving on to page 45:

となりの ばっさまは いいかげんに そばこを こね、それを いいかげんに やいて、おそまつな そばもちを こしらえ、じっさまに もたせて、うら山へ やった。

The neighbouring old lady half-heartedly kneaded some soba flour, half-heartedly cooked them, made some badly-made soba mochi, gave them to [her] old man, sent him out to the mountain behind.

となりの じっさまが、その もちの つつみを 木の えだに かけて おくと、また さるどもが やって きて、その そばもちを 食べはじめたが、あんまり まずいので、ぺっぺっと はいて おると、じっさまは 知らん顔を して、はたけの すみに ねころがって おった。

The neighbouring old man hung the bundle of mochi from a tree branch, and again the monkeys came, and began to each the mochi, but because they tasted bad, they spat them out. The old man, feigning ignorance, lay down in the corner of the field.

2 Likes

Page 46:

すると、さるどもが じっさまを 見つけて、この じぞうさまも むこう山の おどうに おまつりして さしあげようと いうので、じっさまは しめしめと よろこんで おった。

Thereupon, the monkeys discovered the old man, and said “let’s enshrine this Jizo-sama ay the temple on the mountain opposite and make offerings to it as well”, so the old man was delighted - so far, so good.

さるどもは、前の ときのように、手車を 作り、それに じっさまを のせ、川を わたるながら、

おさるの しりは ぬらすとも
じぞうの しりは ぬらすまい

と 歌った。

Just as the last time, the monkeys made a hand-car, put the old man on it, and while they crossed the river, they sang,
Even if monkeys’ butts get wet,
Jizo’s butt does not.

Edit: I’m not allowed more than three consecutive replies, so I’m gonna have to add further translations to this post.

Page 47:

じっさまは、ばかな さるどもだと 思うたが、ここで わらっては たからものを もらいそこねると 思うて、だまって おった。

The old man thought “what fools these mortals monkeys be”, but thought that if he laughed here, he’d miss out on receiving the treasure, so he kept quiet.

そして、さるが つまずきも しないのに、わざと がっくり よこに かしいだ。

Thereupon, in order that the monkey not stumble, he leaned to one side on purpose.

さるどもは あわてて どこからか 千両箱を かかえて きて、じっさまの よこに あてがった。

The monkeys were flustered, and brought a thousand-ryo box, and fastened it to the old man’s side.

Not entirely sure here.

じっさまは また がっくりと 後ろへ かしいだ。

[But] the old man still leaned to the back.

Page 48:

さるどもは また あわてて、千両箱を もって きて、後ろへ あてがった。

The monkeys were again flustered, fetched a thousand-ryo box, and fastened it to his back.

じっさまは、しめたとばかり、またまた、がっくりと 今度は 前へ かしいだ。

The old man thought (?) “I’ve got it!”, and once again leaned over, this time to the front.

さるどもは、大あわてに あわてて、千両箱を じっさまの 前に あてがった。

The monkeys, in a great panicked rush, fastened a thousand-ryo box to the old man’s front.

ところが、おもい おもい 千両箱を 三つも あっというまに、手車が くずれ、千両箱も じっさまも 川の まん中で、ぶくぶくっと しずんで しもうた。

Whereupon, with as many as three super-heavy thousand-yen boxes, in the twinkling of an eye, the hand-car collapsed, and the thousand-yen boxes and the old man all sank with a “blub, blub” in the middle of the river.

May as well finish off, because I’m gonna be busy tomorrow.

さて、となりの ばっさまは じっさまが たからものを かついで、帰って くると 思うて、じっさまの きものも、ばっさまの きものも みんな 火に くべて、いまかいまかと まって おると、帰って きたのは、なんと びしょびしょに なった ぬれねずみの じっさまだった。

Well, the neighbouring old woman, thinking that (her) old man would be returning home bearing treasures, threw his kimono and her kimono onto the fire, and waited eagerly, but when he got home, he was just dripping wet, and soaked to the skin.

人の ものまねなんて、つまらんと いう 話じゃそうな。

It seems like this is just a boring story about people imitating.

… What?

とっぴんぱらりのぷう

This is a standard way of ending fairy tales in Akita Prefecture, apparently - basically like “and they lived happily ever after” in English fairy tales (though these characters, of course, did not live happily ever after). If it does come from Akita, it may explain the slightly non-standard word choices.

https://career-find.jp/archives/170802

おしまい

While researching some of the words in this story, I came across an alternate telling of it, with some small differences. For starters, the old man is eating kinako mochi at the beginning when the wind blows the kinako all over him, which is why he looks like a statue. Second, instead of the monkeys slipping over in the river, he farts, though that still somehow fails to give him away. Lastly, the neighbouring old man bursts out laughing at the song, which is what gives him away (but he still gets dropped in the river).

(Anyone still reading? At the very least, I need someone to proof-read. :stuck_out_tongue: @cybershark @emucat @Thud @codefarmer @Bloomoon520 @TMetevier @Harupopo)

4 Likes

Well… I’ll eventually catch up. A lot of things going on in my life and I’m trying to finish WaniKani ASAP. I should be level 60 in around a month…

I’ll try to start with the new story and read this one when I have a moment

1 Like

The next story is the poem. There’s, like, six words per page. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though, analysis of themes and meanings and such may take longer.

1 Like

Same, things kinda got in the way.

I was hoping to catch up last weekend, but oops.

1 Like

Can somebody please open the next thread for the poem? I‘m away till sunday and forgot to bring the book with me :fearful:

And I would say the poem sbould take only one day :thinking: