ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

It’s easy to fall into the trap of reading in Japanese, being lost, reading in English, then saying, “Oh, I see how that’s what the Japanese means” and move on.
But you really want to force yourself to look back at the Japanese and really understand what it means and what led to that specific English translation.

Yep, that’s what I assumed. Sometimes a sentence just isn’t
parseable either due to some unknown words or grammar, so I do my best to untangle any mess I can and then confirm if I did it correctly. And I get it backwards sometimes :sweat_smile:

Thank you all for you answers! I’m glad it’s not some forbidden practice that’s detrimental to your learning.

3 Likes

The only thing actually detrimental to your learning is to quit trying to learn completely! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Beautifully short and accurate.

4 Likes

We are now on to Week 5, and the completion of the first chapter!

6 Likes

Hi, why does chapter 1 takes 5 weeks but the others only take 2 weeks?

2 Likes

Two reasons. First is that chapter one is very long, if you check the table, it’s 35 pages. The second is that we like to start slower, to get people that have never read a book before comfortably onboarded, and then the pace picks up a bit. Sometimes there’s even a faster sprint at the end, but not this time.

6 Likes

I see. I have one more question: will we continue to vol 2 or switch to another manga after final chapter?

2 Likes

If there’s interest, there will be an offshoot book club continuing on with the series, but the main ABBC will choose a new manga and read that. Voting tends to happen 6(-ish) weeks before the current one ends, so in a couple of weeks hopefully. If you check the main ABBC thread and search back quite a bit, you might find the last vote.

7 Likes

If there’s anyone here who is N5 level in grammar (and about N4 in kanji) and has finished the Japanese The Manga Way book, how much did it help in reading real manga? I can’t recognize any learn N5 grammar apart from really simple one like です, etc

2 Likes

Haven’t used that book, but that sounds normal. The very first skill you will need to develop is recognizing word boundaries. Once you have that going, it will be much much easier to intuit if something is a word or some kind of grammar point.

3 Likes

Well, I haven’t finished it… but I’m halfway through and it’s already been a big help. Id recommend it as a reference, especially since you can get used copies cheap.

2 Likes

Which is tricky when so many particles are dropped in casual/manga language :sob:

2 Likes

Week 6 is now live! Chapter 2 starts here!

7 Likes

Week 7 is live!

2 Likes

Week 8’s thread is up!

4 Likes

Week 9 is up for everyone!

3 Likes

We’ll be in the final 3rd after with Week 10! Congratulations on everyone making it this far!

9 Likes

Week 11 is posted! It’s another slightly longer week, but it will immediately be followed by another short week, so がんばって everyone!

5 Likes

Welcome to Week 12~

2 Likes

Week 13! We are fast approaching the end!

5 Likes