ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 8 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 8 of the Horimiya book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

Week 8 October 14 2023
Pages 70 - 80 (68 - 78)
Chapter 3
Last Week Week 7
Next week Week 9
Home Thread ホリミヤ・Horimiya
The final panel(s) for this week

Vocabulary

ホリミヤ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous)

Just remember that the club is always here! Even if you decide it’s too much right now, you can always come back later and review the threads/ask more questions if they weren’t answered! If there’s anything I can do as the organizer to make things easier for you guys, just let me know as well!

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

Handwritten text this week

Note: Physical book pages are listed in parentheses.

Pg. 71 (69)

おおおっありがと堀い

Pg. 72 (70)

堀: 珍しい二人ねー
由紀: 堀いーそろそろ着替えに行かないと

天然

無神経

Pg. 74 (72)

思いつきだったのに…っ

無神経パラメータ

Pg. 75 (73)

サボりかー?

うわーあつそー

だたらごめん

Pg. 77 (75)

大丈夫

Pg. 78 (76)

そろそろ行こうか

髪ウゼーけど

Pg. 80 (78)

はい次ーっ

4 Likes

The vocab wasn’t too difficult this session but what really threw me for a loop was the amount of times I couldn’t tell who was freaking talking, especially on the rooftop. I actually had to check against my Eng version. Hint: Toru uses way rougher language than Miyamura.

6 Likes

I went through and tweaked bits of the vocab sheet, noticed someone was making notes in the margins. Be bold! Commit! Add them to the sheet proper!

4 Likes

And… caught back up again after the holiday.

2 Likes

By the way, I don’t recall how this was in the anime (even though I watched it like a week ago) but Miyamura deliberately baiting Toru into asking more about what was going on with his whole jersey situation by mentioning Hori so he could reveal his tattoos to someone makes way more sense than my initial interpretation, which was that Miyamura was a complete airhead who mentioned it for no reason.

1 Like

Yeah, but Miyamura is also a complete airhead. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes
p79

気づいたら彫っちゃう時ってあるじゃん。。。?
I know the basic gist of what Miyamura is saying is like “You know how sometimes you just sort of realise you’ve gotten a tattoo?” but I don’t quite get the grammar on 気づいたら。I thought it was the basic conditional ~たら but that doesn’t seem completely right?

p80

The bubbles in the top row are all Miyamura’s damnit! Completely misinterpreted this on the first read.

1 Like

It’s the “when” version of it.

2 Likes
page 71

石川君だ。。。あんまり話したことないのにめずたしい。。。

What’s with the noni here ? I read that as “We never talked much, but it is unexpected” ? The sentence doesn’t make sense… is my reading of the first part wrong ?

1 Like

I feel like 珍しい is a completely separate clause altogether. “It’s Ishikawa-kun… [he’s talking to me] even though we’ve never really talked much, how unusual”, sort of thing.

1 Like
p79

I like to think of this as “By the time [subject] realized”
気づいたらもう19時

2 Likes
Page 77

俺ぶっちゃけお前のこと少し変で暗いオタク野郎と思ってたけど誤解だったんだな。。。
This took a while to unpack, but my only question is why the “のこと”? If “you” is just お前, then this looks more like “you-thing” …

2 Likes
page 72

What is that じゃ that Ishikawa is using twice in that page ?

1 Like

It’s something of a softener. Bit less direct. “Things about you” sort of thing.

Abbreviation for では.

5 Likes

Welp. While this week didn’t contain super hard vocab, there was a lot of text and way too many なんで。

With the always tricky “who’s talking” game, I think it didn’t manage to actually understand what happened in time for next week :frowning:

1 Like

Are there any specific panels we might be able to help you clear up?

1 Like

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be a specific panel. More like small details / limited understanding that add up until I lose track.

I gave it another try during commute this morning, trying to focus on what I thought would be the most important parts.

I read until page 75 of the physical book (that’s when Miya zips his sweater back on). My overall comprehension is this:

So this boy Ishikawa is interested in Hori. He goes to Miya because he realized that the two of them have been getting closer…
Miya denies going out with Hori, and naively asks Ishi if he likes her. Ishi reaction tells him that it’s the case. Both get a bit embarrassed (tho they don’t react to embarrassment in the same way) and they agree to keep this whole conversation a secret.
In the locker room, Ishi asks Miya why the hell he’s always wearing jackets in the summer. Miya initially tries to come up with excuses, but Ishi is not buying it.
Eventually, Miya (probably feeling like he can share another secret with Ishi now) shows his tattoo. But he also says that Hori is the only person who ever saw those. Which of course raises a lot of questions… Anyway, just like Hori, Ishi is quite surprised by the tattoos and by the fact that Miya is not just a weirdo.
Miya also asks him to keep it a secret.

I still have the last three pages to read. In my account above, I have the feeling I’m missing something in the conversation in the locker room. Is there a specific panel I should spend more time on ? Or maybe I’m just plain wrong about everything. :sweat_smile:

Thanks !

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s about it, I don’t think you missed anything

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s naively, I think it’s more… accidentally insenstive.

It’s mostly what’s going unsaid, in that Miyamura is deliberately phrasing things such that Ishikawa comes to the conclusion that Hori has seen Miyamura naked. And possibly more than that.

2 Likes

Ahah, I was looking for a better word but couldn’t find one.

Now I wonder whether Miya is just being candid or if it’s all calculated.

2 Likes