ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 12 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 12 of the Horimiya book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

Week 12 November 11 2023
Pages 122 - 131 (120 - 129)
Chapter 5
Last Week Week 11
Next week Week 13
Home Thread ホリミヤ・Horimiya
The final panel(s) for this week

Vocabulary

ホリミヤ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous)

Just remember that the club is always here! Even if you decide it’s too much right now, you can always come back later and review the threads/ask more questions if they weren’t answered! If there’s anything I can do as the organizer to make things easier for you guys, just let me know as well!

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

Handwritten text this week

Note: Physical book pages are listed in parentheses.

Pg. 125 (123)

困惑

由紀: え…堀今いないんですか…?

宮村: えっと…外出てて…すんまっせん…ハハハ…

あ 英語のノートだ

Pg. 126 (124)

なんで?

Pg. 127 (125)

棒読み

Pg. 128 (126)

ドクロニンジャ
コノハ
週刊シノビで連載中!
にんにん :star: :star: :star:

ついうっかい…っ

いくでゴザる!!

毎週人の目にふれてるのソレ!?

今日はもう帰ったら?

Pg. 129 (127)

次数学だっけか~?

Pg. 130 (129)

今日は家にママいるし…

ちょっと違えけど…

私だって気になるよそりゃっ

5 Likes

Oops I accidentally the whole chapter

5 Likes

Congratulations, you are now an official member of the book clubs. :joy: :tada:

4 Likes

Isn’t that when you pick up a book because you’re curious, and, hey, why is there an afterword here?

7 Likes

Just read this week’s section! Officially caught up with the club. I was a bit ambivalent about starting this manga, but it’s grown on me… I like the characters.

7 Likes

I’m also finally caught up after lagging behind for a good few weeks!

I think this was the first week where I attempted to read through by myself without the vocab list, and even though there were still quite a few words I didn’t know, I understood I reckon, 80-90% of what was going on and I even laughed at a few parts. After double checking the vocab list to clear up a few bits, I think my initial reading was still good.

It was a nice feeling! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If it’s any help, I still don’t read without a dictionary open on the side. If you want full comprehension, you kinda need it.

6 Likes

Oh definitely, I agree, and when I’m reading for studying, I would definitely look up the words I didn’t know, but sometime it’s nice to just read for fun and not stress too much about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s this official 多読 methodology I encountered at my local Japanese foundation library where they recommend not using a dictionary at all and just reading stuff and, like… guessing the idea of words from context if you don’t know it, and if you can’t read the whole text you just put it down and read another book, and… like… it might very well work for some people but I felt like I was trying to divine meaning out of the aether. Like, dawg, this N4 graded book is about seismic volcanic activity, I need to know what these words mean, I can’t just slurp that outta the air bro

10 Likes

Yeh, I’ve seen a lot about this. I think the recommendation is it’s at the right level if you are encountering aprox 1-5 new words per page I think (assuming an actual book)?
Anything more and it’s probably too hard for your level/ or like you say, is about a very specific topic!

I think whether the methodology works for a specific person probably plays a lot into what their end goals are.

3 Likes

I have read enough books to sort of have this work, but I want a solid foundation I can then build on top of, and if I make a false assumption early on, that’s not gonna pan out well. Also, without furigana, I kinda need to check at least the reading. Maybe switching over to a jp jp dictionary would be beneficial

4 Likes

I got through the chapter without too much difficulty. Theres a couple of spots where I don’t quite get the grammar or a word, but easily enough to follow the story.

Two examples where I missed a little something.

p.129

くしゅッ
I wasnt too sure what this was meant to be. The only thing I found was the onomatopoeia くしゅくしゅ for crumply or ruffled, of which this could be an abbreviated form. Is it to indicate Miyamura being miffed that Hori immediately shot him down about borrowing the manga? She “ruffled his feathers”?

p.130

あんまり大人数で行くのもアレだしね
How does this sentence break down? It says something about not going with a very large group, but the アレ part stumps me.

3 Likes
p129

It’s a sneeze, hence the “風邪” question afterwards

p132

あんまり - not very
大人数 - large number of people
で - here “with/as”
行く - going
の nominalizer for 大人数で行く, “going with a large group”
も - here it’s sort of “and”
アレ - thing, here kind of a placeholder for the situation or something
だ - copula
し - reason particle
ね - softener

Sort of “And it’s not like we are going as a large group anyways”

5 Likes

Having trouble finding where this is meant to be - can I get another clue? A panel number? More context? I’ve read the whole of the page (which, mind, is 128 in my copy, since your “130” is 129) and I’m just not spotting it.

[edit]

Oh, right, there it is. Yeah, it’s a sneeze. Which was my first thought when I saw the question, but then we started talking about borrwing manga…
[/edit]

Googling suggests it implies something like よくない or 問題, but neither of the sources I found explain precisely why.

4 Likes

Thanks, both. The sneeze is actually the second meaning in Jisho (itchy and runny nose).
I was too focused on what came before it to figure out the meaning, but rather the sneeze interrupts his thinking and leads into the next panels. I now see that the facial expression matches as well. Once you see it, it makes perfect sense. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Lol, it confused me too, until I kept reading and she asked if he had a cold. I was like ohhh it was achoo.

4 Likes

Sneezes are a recurring source of confusion, Ruri had them too, and people didn’t know what they were reading then either.

4 Likes
For the curious on the various ways sneezes are written...

In Japan, there’s a thing where if you sneeze, it means someone is talking about you. Volume 9 of 「からかい上手の高木さん」 leaned into this one chapter, showing a series of scenes of people talking about others, then cutting over to the person talked about sneezing.

From another manga:

And another:

Another:

Out in the snow:

Elsewhere:

And a scene that a few may be familiar with:

7 Likes

Yuru Camp also has a へっぷし and an utterly ridiculous ぶぇっきしょい, though I lack screenshots of the panels, and I can’t be bothered photographing my physical copies. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Week 13 is up!

4 Likes