ホリミヤ ・ Horimiya 🎀 👓 Week 11 Discussion Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 11 of the Horimiya book club!

We are reading as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club!

Week 11 November 4 2023
Pages 107 - 121 (105 - 119)
Chapter 4
Last Week Week 10
Next week Week 12
Home Thread ホリミヤ・Horimiya
The final panel(s) for this week

Vocabulary

ホリミヤ Volume 1 Vocabulary List - Google Sheets

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Please note that this was auto-generated and might need some additional editing, but it should serve as a solid starting point. If you have any questions/doubts, please post them in this thread!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us this week?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this after the book club is already finished
0 voters

For our newer readers

How are you doing so far?
  • It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option
0 voters

(This poll is anonymous)

Just remember that the club is always here! Even if you decide it’s too much right now, you can always come back later and review the threads/ask more questions if they weren’t answered! If there’s anything I can do as the organizer to make things easier for you guys, just let me know as well!

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching if you want to receive notifications for discussion!

Handwritten text this week

Note: Physical book pages are listed in parentheses.

Pg. 107 (105)

さっきからスプーンをちょいちょいとー

もー

Pg. 108 (106)

創太にんじんも食べなさい

あーっ おにいちゃん!

Pg. 109 (107)

初めて会った…っ

宮村: あとコレ家でが作ってるケーキです

堀母: あらーっ ケーキ屋さんっ

Pg. 110 (108)

創太: たーっくる

宮村: うおっ

ヤダーッ

Pg. 112 (110)

宮村: ケーキどれにする?

創太: いちごのーっ

買い物行けって言ったのはこの為か…っ

照れるね

お母さん若いよねー

Pg. 113 (111)

堀: あーもー…っ

創太: うまーっ

Pg. 114 (112)

創太: ねえちゃんダッセーダッセーっ

堀: 創太このヤロー…っ

Pg. 115 (113)

かして

Pg. 116 (114)

やっぱ宮村でいいや

Pg. 117 (115)

笑うのをたえてる

言葉に出来ない

Pg. 118 (116)

自主規制

Pg. 119 (117)

堀ってサインしておくよっ

はいはーいっ

It’s another slightly longer week, but as last time, it is followed by a short week!

5 Likes

It’s quite the coincidence that this and the next ABBC selection are both high school rom-coms that started on twitter with male leads named Izumi :thinking:

Granted, the kanji used in the spelling are different, but I still find the parallels funny.

2 Likes

Apparently, I have a motif with my nominations. :joy:

5 Likes

Mostly pretty chill this ep, but a note about the third last page (loc 120/page 119 i think)

馴染んできる

てか堀ってサインしとくって。。。 なんだか堀家に馴染んできた気が あんたは宮村なのに。。。
I had to check against the eng version, but this bit means ‘the feeling of becoming familiar’ (in this case with the Hori household). I didn’t realise it on a first go but it references the bit of handwritten text in the top left where Miyamora says 堀ってサインしておくよ? or ‘I’ll sign it as if I’m 堀’ (I guess more correctly in English ‘I’ll sign as if I’m a Hori’)

姉ちゃんだーせ!

4 Likes

If I had a nickel for every time the Absolute Beginner club read a high school rom-com which started life on Twitter before getting an official tankobon release, had a male lead named Izumi and a female lead whose family name ended in -ori, and was nominated by @MrGeneric

I’d have two nickels. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it’s happened twice.

10 Likes

I’m caught up. Yay!

I’m really enjoying the story so far. I’m not doing full translations, but would like someone to check my understanding of the last couple of pages here. Both of our main characters can get up to some pretty strange thoughts and ideas, so sometimes I’m not sure if I’m getting the wrong impression.

Spoilers from p. 118 onward:

Hori has just learned Miyamura’s first name, and considers it quite feminine. Miyamura switches the topic somwwhat and reflects back on when he talked to Hori’s mom. He says they’re quite alike. Hori is surprised, and Miyamura then further explains that he too is often compared to his mother without seeing the resemblance himself.
Hori takes this idea and runs with it, I guess? He has a feminine name, and a feminine face. And then she wonders if she could get him to dress up in woman’s clothes? Or if he would secretly want that(?) Miyamuri asks what in the world she’s talking about, and she keeps digging a hole, by saying that he’s pretty slender and might wear her clothes. Weird, but I guess that’s just how Hori thinks…?
At that time, the doorbell rings. Hori thinks it’s a delivery, but she’s busy with the dishes. Miyamuri says that he might get the door and sign as Hori. Like usual, Hori (and I, as a reader) can’t tell if he’s just joking around (or trying to tease Hori for her earlier comments). But she considers that at least it’s a sign that he’s become very familiar around the house.

4 Likes

That’s all about right. Specifically she’s thinking if they dressed him up in girl’s clothes, would he look like his mum. Something like that.

3 Likes

I would adjust the last bit a little:

Her thought was to clarify that she was half-joking about dressing him up in women’s clothes, not wondering if he was half‐joking about signing. He was very serious about that, because he was a bit desperate to leave that particular conversation.

His desperation to be the one to receive the delivery is that he can escape that topic (and avoid being dressed up).

Otherwise, yes, him saying that he will sign as if he is Hori despite not being a member of the family is being commented on as him becoming close to/familiar with the household.

3 Likes

Week 12 is up!

2 Likes

Just caught up with this week!
Favorite panel:

fear.jpg

Also, does Miyamura ever crossdress? :thinking: Inquiring minds want to know

2 Likes

Chapter 31. It’s in volume five. And also the first episode of the anime’s second season.

3 Likes

I fell off the wagon on this one so catching up and hoping to finish the manga this evening. Just leaving a marker here that I’ve now finished chapter 4.

6 Likes

Weeks 10 and 11 sections read one after another ! \o/
I wanted to read until the moment when Hori finally finds out Miyamura first name :grin:

The reading is way easier. I’m glad I’ve waited a few months to pick up this volume again, I can really feel my progress.

3 Likes