Using WaniKani data to make Anki decks. Is there an easy way to do this? Or has anyone made decks that follow WK level progression?

I’m a big fan of WaniKani as well as Anki and I’m looking for a specific way to use both. I hoping to find an easier way to make these types of Anki cards using WaniKani data. Currently, I’m going through each level and grabbing each vocab word that I want to get more familiar with. I’m making audio cards using the three example sentences that they give for each vocab word and adding TTS. Are there any existing decks like this or easier ways to create this? I just think it would be a great way to progress alongside WaniKani and the words that they give you. I realize it’s almost always my listening that trails far behind my reading and visual recognition of words. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There’s https://wanikanitoanki.com/, but they haven’t yet updated to API v2, it seems.

2 Likes

Item Inspector has an export function that works fine with Anki. You can install it here.

A procedure to export toward Anki is in this post.

Edit: The examples sentences are not exported. This part of your workflow will be missing.

3 Likes

I’ll be sure to keep an eye out, thank you!

1 Like

Woah thanks for the lengthy explanation :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure if this is what I am trying to do exactly but it looks like it may help in accomplishing it a little more hassle free.

I’m hoping somehow I can export all the example sentences for each word =o I could use those to quickly make text to speech cards

In which format do you need them? Would a csv file be OK?

I’m not really sure >.< My goal is to be able to make these cards for each level of vocab words as I go.
Not really a wizard with Anki like some of the other WK users but I can do the basics. I’m not sure which format I would need them in

Could you research the question? I am the author of Item Inspector. Maybe I can do something to improve exports but I need to know the format you need. Otherwise I risk making an export that won’t work for you.

Do you need just the Japanese or do you want the English as well?

Usually Anki cards have fields. When you import a csv file the fields get filled automatically from the csv columns. Would that work with your text-to-speech software?

I may can help out with some of the technical questions.

• import format: yes, csv usually works pretty well. OP can even specify the separator while import process. so you can choose any common separator that is convenient to implement. Since sentences my have comma you may not want to chose comma, but semicolon or tabs should be fine.
  • TTS: works on the anki card itself after they are imported. so you don’t have to consider it for your export format.

Interesting questions though would be, if the OP wishes to make one card per vocab or one card per sentence to kind of build up a sentence based anki deck. this may effect the output format, since you either have one dataset per sentence or one per vocab.

1 Like

This is good information. Tab separated csv is not a problem for Item Inspector.

If I don’t need to consider TTS for export that solves the issue. CSV it will be. I know this works well with Anki.

This is not a problem either. I could make it an option. OP may want an option but someone else may want another.

1 Like

sounds even better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh! Sorry I missed this comment! So to be more exact with what I was looking for: I wanted to make Anki cards using the WaniKani vocab words that I am currently studying level by level. I’m hoping to be able to make 2-3 cards per word using the Context Sentences that it gives us on the site. For me, I would like to make audio cards. It would be nice to have just audio Text to Speech on the front using the Japanese Context Sentences from WaniKani and then on the back have the Japanese and English meanings from the Context Sentences once you flip it over.

1 Like

I understand more what you want now. I make no promise but I will see what I can do.

3 Likes

Haha, I totally understand :stuck_out_tongue: I won’t hold ya to it but ill keeps my hopes up :slight_smile:

Does it seem like it is going to be possible? Which aspect will make it hard to accomplish? If it’s the TTS then I could input that one by one if I have to. The main thing I suppose would be getting the Context Sentences into each card in English and Japanese. But I think this feature would complete a part of WaniKani that doesn’t seem to be there yet. Having the ability to follow along with each level and get the listening comprehension down as well would be amazing. Especially in the context, not just the word itself. No rush just wondering. Also I was checking out the current functions and man it looks like you put a lot of time into this script, I don’t know how you guys do it >.<

Currently the main obstacle is I am at the hospital. There is no technical obstacles i can think of.

You will have to wait until I heal and get the time to do it. I make no promise though.

I don’t plan to do anything about tts. I will just get the sentences out in csv format and anki will be able to import them… one they are in anki it is up to you to setup the tts. There should be a way to make that automatic though.

Nooo! Sorry to hear that :frowning: I didn’t mean to seem pushy just was updating if you had some kind of issues with the process. I can kind of relate spending a week in the hospital back in may so plz just get better! Hope ya get better soon whatever ya got going on!

1 Like

@prouleau sempai: I agree with OP. wish you all the best to get well soon :slight_smile:

You don’t have to do one by one. TTS is able to work on batches.

Yes, I think that is the part that will help OP to create the cards they want to create.

I’ve used TTS myself so here is what I’d suggest: as sempai already suggested, csv is good file format to work with. Anki can import csv easily. After importing the csv file to anki use the “browse” feature and select all the new cards. Then use TTS to actually create audio files on the selected cards in batch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.