Is there anyway to grab all the vocab context sentences from WaniKani and move them into a list to use in Anki?

Looking for a way to pull the context sentences from WaniKani vocab words and make Anki cards with them. I think this would really complete my WaniKani study cycle. If I was able to first do my reviews on WaniKani and then listen and try to comprehend them afterward in context on Anki it would be amazing. I’ve been doing this manually so far but a batch system would be so nice >.<. At the moment I’m going through grabbing each sentence inside the vocab pages then making Anki cards with text to speech. I’m doing audio on the front with no clue sentence and then Japanese and English context sentence on the back. This way I’m not missing out on my listening comprehension of the new words I’m picking up.

How handy are you with programming? Taking a quick glance at the API docs, it definitely seems possible to do. Scroll down to Vocabulary Attributes to see the parameters needed for the API call.

Other than that, I don’t know if there’s a faster way / whether or not someone has built a tool to do this. I think I saw someone asking about it before, so maybe there’s something in the API and Third Party Apps section of the message boards that you can use.

Honestly, I don’t have too much experience with programming… But I will do what it takes to learn how to do it if it helps me along the way to learning Japanese :stuck_out_tongue: I will check this out thanks for the tips!

3 Likes

It’s how a lot of people’s programming journey starts. You just need a problem to solve! :slightly_smiling_face:

Let us know if you need any help / advice.

3 Likes

this feature was discussed recently:

@prouleau sempai already offered to implement a csv export into one of the user extensions they maintain once RL situation allows it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t want to bother them since they had real-life stuff going on and said there was no guarantee that they would be able to do it. I’m just searching around for others that may be able to help.

What kind of computer are you running?

I already have both an Anki deck and a CSV with all the context sentences. Email me at kumi@kumirei.com and I will send them to you

1 Like

I’m in the Windows 10 family :slightly_smiling_face:

No way!! Alright, I’ll do just that! Thank you :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.