Self Review (Guru, Master, Enlightened) items for better retention

Hello everyone,

Started wanikani on January 25th, now on level 18. Going slowly as was preparing for JLPT. However since the exam got cancelled so started to use it again and I am seeing that I am making simple mistakes. So want to review all the guru, master or enlightened items for better retention as I feel 4 months or 2 months for me is a huge gap and making mistakes which is increasing my reviews.

So is there any way where I can actually review my items by myself?

Please let me know if there is any, I feel like I have more items on guru so want to get it to master quickly.

Thanks in advance.

110684652_324818418521055_1601844838902749322_n|281x499

imo, it’s better to fail the enlightened items now and bring them to a lower SRS stage, and then burn them when you know them better later on. It would be a shame if you burn something without the gap of 4 months of SRS.

Remember that it’s not about doing the reviews perfectly, but about long term memorization. If you review them right before burning, that’s not gonna happen.

4 Likes

I know two ways of doing this.

The first one is the Self-Study Quiz script. It will setup a quiz for your selected items. You will need to define presets for the Guru, Master and Enlightened reviews to get the quizzes you want. In the filter tab you will need to select and configure the SRS Level filter to select your items. There is a setting for the maximum number of items in a quiz to keep the quiz size manageable. It will pick a random selection of items for your quiz.

The other way is a script that I wrote, the Item Inspector script. It will setup a table of the items you want to study. You recite the meaning and reading ot the items and you check your answers by hovering the mouse over the item. A popup will display the correct meaning and reading. You will have to define tables for your Guru, Master and Enlightened items to get what you want. In the Filters tab you will have to select and define the SRS Level filter to select the items you want to study. In the Contents tab the Random Selection option may be used to display a manageable number of items. If you select this option each time you display the table a different selection will be displayed.

The two scripts are similar in the way the filters work. They differ in the type of study they offer. One provides quizzes, the other provides tables. It all depends on the style of studying you prefer.

Edit: If you want to avoid studying items too close to the review date to avoid disturbing the SRS you can configure the Time Until Review filter. Both script support this filter but you have to install the open Framework Additional Filters script to have it.

3 Likes

True. But I need time in between to remember. 4 months is kind of a lot of time. For example I was burning some item like '田’. So i wrote field but its actually rice paddy. I am just making slight mistakes and it is increasing my reviews. :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will try to use this one. so helpful.

Maybe this would be a better solution for that problem?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.