DanMachi Volume 2 Week 1

DanMachi Home Thread

Start Date: May 31
Week 1 Reading: Start of Prologue until the end of Page 34 (30 Pages)
Last Section: Drawing right after page 34
Word List: FloFlo
Previous Week: Volume 1 Week 15
Next Week: Week 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
  • I am reading along
  • I already read this part
  • I am not participating

0 voters

3 Likes

Im only up to page 16 right now but so far it looks like エイナ is about to find out ベル’s secret by checking his back. He apparently had went from H rank all the way to E, skipping G and F. I dont remember from the show so im interested to see if she tells him about his ability that ヘステェア has kept hidden.

Also, im glad to continue reading with you guys!

2 Likes

Well… I know the answer to that. And so will you in like half a page or so :stuck_out_tongue:
There’s more to the back thing than what we know so far, but it won’t be revealed until volume 8. (I also think that thing is a bit of a retcon, since no one act like it’s a thing until then… I don’t even know why I’m having this half assed conversation).

About skipping, it’s not like he skipped levels, it’s just that he didn’t report about the progression. (He doesn’t have to either)
But yeah, that’s definitely a shock for her :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But when he was going to fight the monster that had escaped from the previous volume, ヘステェア updated his back blessings while he was being chased around to make him more powerful, right?
(I mean otherwise what was the point)

I am thinking that he accumulates the experience, and then when she updates his back, he gains the accumulated power in the form of stats.

2 Likes

Sure, that’s what I meant by “he isn’t skipping”. He earned that XP (well, with a multiplier, by still)

2 Likes

Ok so apparently I dont remember anything at all because I did not see that plot twist coming. Good on ヘステェア for protecting ベル’s skill. Sneaky エイナ-さん trying to take a peek at his skills!

P.S. Is it weird to type in English but have their names in Japanese?

2 Likes

I can answer for myself: a little bit since I haven’t read them in Japanese yet, but I’ve gotten used to it (since week 2).
For everyone else: probably no! The names have been introduced to you in Japanese, so it’s normal. Also, transforming them from katakana to romaji may lead to errors or simply deviations from the names used in the English versions. (At least I think it may be possible, not sure actually :thinking:)
Either way I see nothing bad with it, except that you have to switch keyboards for one word.

P.S. I too had fun looking at his stats skyrocketing. The other explorers thinking it was a lie and all that.

3 Likes

Well, as @Kurei_0 said, it’s normal to do so. I wouldn’t even know how to write エイナ or the name of most characters yet to come in English.

Edit: just looked at some romanizations and they made me twitch a bit. Cranel??

3 Likes

I would just write Eina, Hestia, Bell, and one of the ones I didnt know how to write but saw online was シル which is Syr. One weird thing when I write the names in Japanese is when I wrote the apostrophe + s after a Japanese name

ベル’s skill

Just looks a bit strange to me :sweat_smile:

Its kinda just like how Mcdonalds would be マクドナルド. Lots of extra vowels just get cut out and the ル turns to L the same way

2 Likes

On top of my edit, my main problem is that those English names generally do not sound like what I expected from the katakana. I would have no idea who Syr is if I saw that without (Japanese) translation :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I meant, I expected Clanel not Cranel. Cranel just doesn’t sound right.

1 Like

Syr is definitely a strange one for me as well. I cant think of a sy word that has an ‘sh’ sound off the top of my head.

1 Like

I just finished the reading, where ベル and エイナ are at the fourth floor of バベル塔 and arrive at the shop which ヘステェア works at. Im expecting エイナ to find out about the special weapon ヘステェア gave ベル soon, maybe even an appearance from ヘファイストス herself.

1 Like

Nice, I just found this thread. I have some DanMachi books on my bookshelf (In English). So I guess I will try to start reading now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

へファイストス is a busy woman, so I wouldn’t hold my breath :sweat_smile:

I didn’t know this series got translated, in English or otherwise. Which volume do you have? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Simply have a look at Amazon. It’s from Yen Press. Currently 14 volumes are available.
Which reminds me. I should order 11-14 now.
BTW I also bought #1 in Japanese for Kindle. But didn’t really start reading yet. Too many reviews left ATM.

3 Likes

I read the part for this week yesterday and figured I’d maybe actually post in the thread this time.

Not that I have a ton to say, but it was fun to see the reaction in the first part, even if the sound effects were out in their usual excessively full force. I’ve always thought actually getting to see the reaction of other characters in stories where the character keeps their abilities and stuff totally secret would be fun, so while this wasn’t exactly that it was fun to read in a kind of similar way. Other than that, I also feel a bit interested in finding out what they’re going to buy during the shopping trip.

And as a totally unrelated comment, ending on an illustration felt really convenient for knowing where to stop in the ebook, so that was cool. (I don’t mind the usual “last line” approach though, just felt like commenting on that I had to spend even less effort than usual on knowing where to stop :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Week 2 :open_book:

3 Likes

Just started volume 10, and somehow stopped to look at the character description pages at the beginning of the book. Turns out the “English” version of the names where there all along.
Oh well.

4 Likes