DanMachi Volume 1 Week 1

Time to start!
DanMachi Home Thread

Start Date: February 10
Week 1 Reading: Start of Prologue until the end of Page 15 (10 Pages)
Last Sentence: 「あ、あはははっ。。。。。。」
Word List: FloFlo
Previous Week: None
Next Week: Week 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
  • I am reading along
  • I already read this part
  • I am not participating

0 voters

This format is stolen graciously from Naphthalene-さん

4 Likes

Glad to start reading with everyone, I hope we get a good amount of members to read with us!
As a side note- If someone reads to the end of a designated part (End of page 15 here) and finds it an awkward place to end, we can always change it a page or two to fix that, if everyone is fine with that.
I should add that I am reading the physical version so I am not sure about the paging on the ebook. Also when counting the pages obviously I did not count drawing pages.

Edit: Added a “Last Sentence” section so we know where we all are. (ありがとう @TamanegiNoKame さん)

2 Likes

Oh boy, here we go… xD
Not sure if I’ll get to it during the work days, but I’ll definitely chime in on the weekend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It might be a good idea to give a specific sentence to end on in the first post as people may have different page 15s in different versions. 頑張れ! :turtle: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you! I added the last sentence in the main post, its the last part of a dialogue.
Last Sentence: 「あ、あはははっ。。。。。。」

4 Likes

Woah, this beginning is pretty difficult…
Time to look up some words…
:sweat_smile: :turtle:

4 Likes

Yea theres also a few kanji I am missing but I think it will only get easier!
Im having trouble figuring out some onomatopoeia , ヴゥムゥンッ is not showing up on anything. (end of Page 5 physical)

1 Like

Wow so just read up to the start of pg 9, and its getting good. @powerpuncher-さん’s bio sums this part up perfectly :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah, hint, the monster speech is all nonsense!!! It is supposed to be roaring sounds and such. Don’t spend time trying to look it up! :rofl: :turtle:

(Though, in this case, based on context, it is supposed to be a roar of surprise, specifically, from the monster, I think).

4 Likes

Yea I kinda figured and went on :sweat_smile:, but other than the surprised noises and monster noises I understood pretty well. (It helps that i’ve seen the anime)

1 Like

Haha, ok cool. Just wanted to make sure you were not desperately searching millions of dictionaries for ヴゥムゥンッ and panicking to not find anything anywhere as I have too many times in the past… :man_facepalming: :turtle: :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh no, I did exactly that and THEN figured it out and went on! It took me like an hour to make up my mind lol :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I just read the prologue from the online preview on booklive. There’s a lot of vocab in common with SAO, which makes sense.
Anyway, considering the amount of fan service in the color pages, I’m going to assume that it’s not a book I’d be reading, but you never know. (Although, I’m already part of 7 book clubs here, so that’s another good reason to not start…)

4 Likes

What are these 7 book clubs? And how can you follow 7 book clubs at the same time?

4 Likes

Technically one is only starting this weekend (and I’m way ahead of schedule with JoJo due to necessity) but:

Book clubs tend to be very slow, e.g. only 10~15 pages a week (and 3 of those are manga), so it’s a non-issue :woman_shrugging: I have more trouble keeping up with the book club threads.

5 Likes

Oh, I can say I started learning japanese to be able to read this series someday. I also had a lot of free time because of a broken foot but nevertheless :slight_smile: . A bit sad that it’s too early for me to read along with you guys but I’ll check this thread again in a couple years :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You will get there! I also wanted to join the Re:Zero book club when it started in july, and now I am able to read it (barely) but they are on volume 4! So we started this for DanMachi.

You are absolutely welcome to come again when you start reading!

4 Likes

Hows everyone doing on their reading? I didnt make any progress today, long day for me :sweat_smile:

Btw, anyone using FloFlo? And how far are you guys, if youre using it?
I did manage to finish the frequency 4 today, charging into the freq 3 words atm. So far I have 529 words learned for DanMachi there.

3 Likes

It really doesn’t have much fanservice on the actual story, I started the anime expecting it to be full on fanservice stuff, but it’s actually pretty light on it and very cool with an MC just focused on his goal and protecting his goddess. Not even the beach OVA had much fanservice lol

3 Likes

Well, that’s reassuring. I might give it a go, then.
When will depend on the next time I get to pass by a book-off, but soon-ish, I guess :thinking:

1 Like