Book One Chapter 11: 青豆:肉体こそが人間にとっての神殿である Haruki Murakami's 1Q84

Hey guys, Christmas Eve, and it’s been two weeks since I promised a one week schedule for the last couple chapters.
Main thread: Hashing out the details for reading Murakami Haruki’s 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book)

Threads list

Book One Chapter 1: 青豆:見かけにだまされないように Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 2: 天吾:ちょっとした別のアイデア Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 3: 青豆:変更されたいくつかの事実 Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 4: 天吾:あなたがそれを望むのであれば Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 5: 青豆:専門的な技能と訓練が必要とされる職業 Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 6: 天吾:我々はかなり遠くまで行くのだろうか? Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 7: 青豆:蝶を起こさないようにとても静かに Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 8: 天吾:知らないところに行って 知らない誰かに会うHaruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 9: 青豆:風景が変わり、ルールが変わった Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 10: 天吾:本物の血が流れる実物の革命 Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 11: 青豆:肉体こそが人間にとっての神殿である Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 12: 天吾:あなたの王国が私たちにもたらされますように Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

Warnings (read please!)

This story contains themes of an adult and/or sensitive nature, including cults, sex, murder, and sexual abuse of children, both mentioned, and graphic (though not until Book 2, in the latter case).

第9章: 青豆:肉体こそが人間にとっての神殿である
Title translation: The fleshy body is the human’s godly palace.

Our character's journey so far. 青豆

Aomame is now convinced she somehow ended up in an alternate reality. Also, she is almost thirty.

Now, poll time:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading this book, but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

I really enjoyed the talk with あゆみ. At first I thought she was hitting on 青豆, but nah, she’s just police. I have a feeling wer going to be seeing more of her, or maybe that’s just me hoping.

It was also nice to learn a bit more about what brought 青豆 into her current job. I kind of don’t want to switch back to 天吾, though I am looking forward to finding out what happened after that attack at the end of chapter 10…

4 Likes

Finished this chapter as well :slight_smile:

I really liked the humor of Aomame’s fighting partner when he said 世界の終わりを体液したことはまだない :slight_smile:
Also, how she picks up on this idea a few pages later: このときは世界の終わりをまざまざと見せてやる、と彼女は決意していた。

In general, I very much liked how Aomame sat in the bar and let her mind wander, back to the time when she first met the old lady and how she started to work for her. Also, how Ayumi pulled her back into the here and now, that was such a tangible moment of how Aomame must have felt in that situation :slight_smile:

Another interesting expression (for me) was how Ayumi described her colleagues as 明らかに能力を落ちる男たち :grin: I really enjoy to discover the different meanings and nuances 落ちる・落とす can have (e.g. in another book I just came across 産み落とす - Jisho.org which sounds like super-literal on the one hand and also somewhat gross on the other hand to me :sweat_smile:)

1 Like