Book One Chapter 15: 青豆:気球に碇をつけるみたいにしっかりと Haruki Murakami's 1Q84

Hallo, a new Sunday, a new thread! Last week I slowed down on reading, still have thirteen pages to go, but I was sick for the second half of it, so giving myself a bit of a pass. It’ll give @Belerith a chance to catch up to me in the meantime! Now we’re both behind on the threads!

First things first: refer to Hashing out the details for reading Murakami Haruki’s 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book) for links to the threads of the 前編 for book 1.

We started on a two week per chapter schedule, but decided to speed up towards the end of the 前編, so we will go ahead with a one chapter one week schedule for the next 12 chapters as well.

Thread schedule

Book One Chapter 13: 青豆:生まれながらの被害者 Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 14: 天吾:ほとんどの読者がこれまで目にしたことのないものごと Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 15: 青豆:気球に碇をつけるみたいにしっかりと Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
21-02-2021: Break
28-02-2021: Chapter 16
07-03-2021: Chapter 17
14-03-2021: Chapter 18
21-03-2021: Chapter 19
28-03-2021: Chapter 20
04-04-2021: Chapter 21
11-04-2021: Chapter 22
18-04-2021: Chapter 23
25-04-2021: Chapter 24

Warnings (read please!)

This story contains themes of an adult and/or sensitive nature, including cults, sex, murder, and sexual abuse of children, both mentioned, and graphic (though not until Book 2, in the latter case).

Our character's journey so far.

We learned more about Aomame’s life as a sports instructor, and about her best friends tragic end as a yough wife of a sadistic bastard. We see the first of Aomame’s rage against men who hurt women.

第15章:青豆:気球に碇をつけるみたいにしっかりと
Let’s start off with a rough translation of the title:

Chapter 15: Aomame: Tightly, as if tying an anchor to a blimp.

Now, poll time:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading book, but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’ve finished this part
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

:joy:
I just finished my current book, so I’ll be starting in on 1Q84 again next (ish), but definitely within the week. Thanks for the grace period! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, @Hijiki, I hadn’t quite realized you were also reading along still! Glad to see it, though. Would you also be all right with a one week delay for chapter 16? If not, I can get it up by Wednesday. And proceed with 17 as scheduled, instead!

1 Like

I’ve already finished chapter 16 (I just had to know if the double moon phenomenon was also visible in the other half of the story, that part was eerily astonishing), but I don’t mind delaying. I’ll start chapter 17 when you make the respective thread and meanwhile catch up with some other book clubs.

2 Likes

Just felt like mentioning that that scene with all the katakana really had me struggling a bit! I was reading it aloud to my boyfriend in the car. :joy:

On another note: 間違いなく何かが起こりつつある。 I need to find out what つつ means. I come across it often enough, but I either never look it up, or never remember what it means.

I think in this case it must be this meaning:

動作作用が今も進行継続していることを表す。…し続けている。「成績が向上しつつある」「病状快方向かいつつある」

1 Like