April 23rd Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

Good morning everyone, my name is Etienne and I’m a French-Canadian learning Japanese (intermediate level by my own account).

I’ve come here to propose to you guys a daily community reading exercise. The aim is to collaborate in interpreting (as opposed to translating) the manga “Send my Regards to Jack Black” by Shuho Sato which was released to the public legally for free. Read more there:

Links
Episode 2
Episode 1
Jisho: dictionary

How can I participate
★Anyone can claim any letter in order to translate its content.
★It doesn’t even have to be in the right order.
★Give it your best shot and try to finish what you start.
★Try to respond when someone is helping you out.
★You can claim as much material as you want.

The story so far Saito finished med school and is now an intern; he will help with a surgery today at the Eternal Fortune University Hospital. He is an idealist who wants to be a doctor to help people as opposed to become rich.

Hope to see you here!

Currently available: L, M, N, O

Taken: A, B, C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J;

1 Like

What’s the difference?

Heh. Not Jack Black. Black Jack. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ll claim A. Now what I’ll do is to transcribe first, vocabulary second and finally interpretation last.

Transcription
《ゴッドハンド春日部教授》

Next I’ll do the vocabulary. In this part I provide readings if possible for onlookers (as well as for myself!)

ゴッドハンド: god’s hand. This is also the title of the second episode: “God Hand and Eels”. From what I gather, “god hand” is someone who is really skilled at something. In this case, it’s likely that older guy with the glasses.

春日【しゅんじつ】n. spring day;

【ぶ】n. a department (as in a university). Saitou, the main character is in on-field training from July to September. He’s currently observing how god hand will perform a surgery I imagine.

教授【きょうじゅ】n. a professor;

Finally, in my third reply, I’ll try to interpret what I have so far.

In my conception of things, a translation aims to reproduce as accurately as opposable the written sentence. An interpretation aims to have an understanding of the sentence’s general idea and it can miss bits and pieces provided the general idea of the sentence is understood.

Okay, mine’s B. I hope I did the interpretation thing right since I’m totally unfamiliar to this manga

Text with Furigana:
永大(えいだい)奇跡(きせき)
手術歴(しゅじゅつれき)30(ねん)にして手術(しゅじゅつ)ミスなどの術後(じゅつご)トラブルは一例(いちれい)もない。

I think 永大 refers to the Eternal Fortune University Hospital
奇跡: miracle
手術 - Surgery
手術歴 - Surgery history
術後 - After surgery
一例 - an example, an instance

Interpretation: The man is very superb in his surgery skills he hasn’t made a mistake in all of his surgery procedures even once in his 30 years of service.

Step 3 Interpretation:
I think this text box aims to introduce who “god hand” is, a teacher at the university Saitou is studying at. The only thing I’m unsure is where 春日 comes in. I suspect it might act as last name here. As in the professor is nicknamed 『god hand 春日』. Not 100% sure!

Normally this is where other members come in and give their inputs correct any mistakes made (or confirm that the interpretation is right).

Welcome Ren! Oh neat you can type in furigana here!! Could you tell me how you did it please?

He’s a man I believe, not sure!

I installed this userscript: [Userscript] Forum: IME2Furigana

When I type using the microsoft IME and choose a kanji, it automatically adds the furigana.

Alright, gonna edit my post then!

2 Likes

You’re right about the University name. I had not mentioned it. I’ve already gone through the first episode in this story. That’s where they say he’s a poor intern at that university.

I’ll claim C.

Transcription
《ウナギ『とは』違うもんです『ね』》
*You might notice a few idiosyncrasies in my messages:
★I use 『particle』to indicate grammatical particles in my transcription. This is to help me to parse properly and to tell other learners that it is a grammatical particle in that context.

Vocabulary
ウナギ: n. eel.
『とな』quotation particle と used in conjunction with emphasis は (I think). We’ve run into this one before but there could be many functions to those two used together.
違う【ちがう】there is more than one meaning to this word among which:
godan v. to differ, to vary;
expression→Isn’t it, wasn’t?
At this point in time, I would say ① is the right meaning.

もん: a thing, an object;
です: copula, formal form;
『ね』sentence ending particle indicating expected agreement;

Interpretaton
I think he’s saying: Eels are different things but I don’t understand why. Is it as in: eels are more complicated to perform surgery on, explaining why he’s so fast at operating on people? Can someone help me understand?

I’ll claim D as well (is it possible to use color here? I’ve tried the [color] code and it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve checked the format guide threads and there’s no mention of color either (apart from highlighting). I would assume it is possible but I don’t know how).

Transcription
《見事な切り口です教授》

Vocabulary
見事な【みごと+な】〜な adj. total complete;
切り口【きりくち】cut end (incision?);
です: copula;
教授【きょうじゅ】n. professor;

Interpretation
This one is self-explanatory based on the vocabulary:
Superb incision professor”, the person is praising the surgeon’s skill.

I’ll claim E.

Transcription
《それじゃあとは頼みます》

Vocabulary
それじゃ: well then;
あと+『は』the past, what just happened followed by the topical は;
頼みます【たのみます】五段 v. to request;

Interpretation
I think it means that he thought it was interesting… I’m really not sure… perhaps it’s more along the line of: please ask for me if you need me;

I’ll go ahead and claim F.

Transcription
《私は研究『に』戻ります》
I think I can tell the meaning of this one at a glance but for thoroughness sake:

Vocabulary
私『は』: pr. 1st person + topic marker;
研究【けんきゅう】n. studies;
『に』indicates the receiver if an action/destination;
戻ります【もどります】v. to return, to go back;

Interpretation
I’ll return to my studies.

I’ll claim G

Transcription
《手術『を』続ける『ぞ』》

Vocabulary
手術【しゅじゅつ】n. surgery, operation, procedure;
『を』direct object;
続ける『つづける』v. to continue; I know this one from playing video games in Japanese;

Interpretation
Continue your surgery.

I’ll go ahead and claim H. I’ll add some more after since I did a lot of them so that other people have the opportunity to claim some. I’ll edit the new material in the first reply.

Transcription
《そこ『の』研修医こっち『に』戻れ』》
そこ: there;
『の』possessive particle;
研修医【けんしゅうい】n. medical intern;
こっち: n. this way;
『に』location;
戻れ【もどれ】v. to return to turn back; I got lucky on this one, I just saw it in the previous message!

The person is telling the medical intern to return to him

春日部 is actually the family name of “God’s hands” ;
his full name is (copied from Wikipedia, I wouldn’t have guessed the reading otherwise)

春日部 一郎(かすかべ いちろう)

(the special reading of that family name should be common enough as the author didn’t put furigana on it. If I write “kasukabe” in my input method it is the first choice)

1 Like