7th
6th
5th

The Manga Available Online for Free
Episode 2
Episode 1
Jisho: dictionary

How can I participate?
Click on the :arrow_forward:︎ to reveal the text.

★The rules have been updated. Please read the new one.

Rules↓

①Choose one of the letters from the list below. Claim your letter by posting a reply in the thread here. That is so two people don’t end up doing the same letter.
②Edit your ‘claim reply’ with a vocabulary section where you list the vocabulary words and explain what they mean.
③In a reply to your ‘claim reply’, develop your interpretation. This will help people understand and learn from your explanation.
④When discussing the content of the manga, please begin your message with the letter you are addressing. This allows people to know right away about which strip you are talking about.

<h1>G</h1>

✩If you spot a mistake, explain to the user what it is and why it is incorrect.
✩If possible, correct your mistake based on the new information.

The story so far:↓

Saitou finished med school and is now an intern; he will help with a surgery today at the Eternal Fortune University Hospital. He is an idealist who wants to be a doctor to help people as opposed to become rich. He once took a part time job which paid well but was in conflict with Saitou’s values and beliefs.

P.20 Extra Page Added in case we run out.

Currently available: None

Done Strips and Interpretations

A @Zizka
Saitou: “but in the case that a person doesn’t have confidence in their ability, they won’t don’t have to perform surgery right?”

B @YanagiPablo
Saitou: but he is a professor
surely there is some meaning

C @Zizka
Pr. Shiratori: In this case it’s money.

D @Zizka
Pr. Shiratori: professors earn up to a million yen as a “gift, favor” from the patient’s family/families.

E @Shannon-8
Pr. Shiratori: If it was from (the patient’s?) family, I would think that they would ask the world famous Professor to make (the patient) safe.

F @Zizka
Saitou: You were that surgeon just now/a moment ago .

G. @Zizka
Pr. Shiratori: I am Shiratori Takahisa of the first surgery department.

I’d like to participate, but I don’t know how to!

①head over to Jisho.
②at the very top, there’s an option to draw a kanji if you can’t figure out what it means and you are not comfortable with radicals:

③draw the kanji. Accurate stroke order is preferable:

★(Links to the manga online, previous reading exercises) ↓

April reading exercises - 四月の読書練習

第1話 研修医の夜 (on an external forum)

1日 2日 3日 4日
5日 6日 7日 8日 9日 10日 11日
12日 13日 14日 15日 16日 17日 18日
19日 20日

第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド

21日 22日 23日 24日 25日
26日 27日 28日 29日 30日

Note: there has been some mixing of pages, so in order to read it in the right order follow as this: …->22->24->25->23->26->…

第1話 研修医の夜 : start of reading exercises : 四月五日 (on external forum)
第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド : start of reading exercises : 四月21日 (on external forum; then on wanikani from 23日)

The Manga Available Online for Free
Episode 2 : 第2話 ウナギとゴッドハンド
Episode 1 : 第1話 研修医の夜

@RachelG: Could you make the first message editable by everyone please? Thank you.

Color Coding

Finally asked and found out how to color code:

\color{red} \text{This is Red}

put a “$” before and after that, with a space in between.

More formatting information from @YanagiPablo:

(the LaTeX formating doesn’t work inside “details” nor “quote” blocks; so look at the original message)

2 Likes

A.

Claiming 🔝

I’m sometimes completly lost noticing which reply is to which frame of the manga…

So here is an index…

Index:

B.

Transcription:

だって〝教授〟だよ

きっと何か意味があって

Vocabulary (new only):

• だって : 1. after all, as well, 2. but
  • きっと : surely, most likely
  • 何か : “something” (question word + か makes a “some” word; eg 誰か, someone; いくつか, some, several; どこか, somewhere, etc.
Interpretation

だって〝教授〟だよ => “But he is a Professor!

きっと何か意味があって => “Surely there is some meaning…

(and the sentence ends abruptly in a te-form because he is actually interrupted by someone replying to him, on next frame)

2 Likes

Could you use the header tag? It makes the letter bigger and it’s easier to spot when there are many replies.

EDIT: Thank you.

A

Transcription** & **Interpretation

斎藤:《でも『さ』…》
でも(but) with a sentence ending particle denoting assertiveness, 『さ』.

《もしも腕『に』自信ないなら執刀なんてしなきゃいいじゃないか》
:bulb:I googled the difference between もし and もしも and as far as I can tell, there’s no difference, they both mean “if”. This is followed by 腕 which we’ve established mean skill and not arm in this context. Self-confidence in the negative, 自信ない, is nestled between 〜なら and もしも, so in the case a person has no self-confidence.

執刀 means to perform an operation and なんて means ‘such as’.

So if a person has no confidence in their skill in performing operation… what I’m missing is しなきゃ. I imagine しなきゃ is する in the non-past negative but what is きゃ? Is it just a colloquial manifestation in this context?

All in all, I think it means:

“but in the that a person doesn’t have confidence in their ability, they won’t perform surgery won’t they?”
…or something along those lines.

C

Claiming :top:

斎藤:《この場合 \color{blue}\text{は} 金だ》
In this case it’s money.

\color{red} \text{This is Red}

JEdict says:

若しも《もしも》

(adv) *(emph. form of 若し, often in unfavorable situations)* (uk) if; in case; supposing;

(uk=usually in kana)

しなきゃ

I’m not sure, but I think it is slured of しなければ

So 執刀なんてしなきゃいいじゃないか meanign something as “shouldn’t they not do things like surgery?

He wonders why someone whitout enough practice will do things that can harm other people (yes, Saitou-kun is a sweet idealist)

Ah ok so もしも has a negative connotation as a distinction from もし.

I’m not sure, but I think it is slured of しなければ

Ok so in that case it would be:
“but in the case that a person doesn’t have confidence in their ability, they won’t must perform surgery right?”

D

I’ll claim :top:.

Interpretation

This is sentence from a new character we haven’t seen so far. He looks serious so I’ll call him ‘serious guy’ as a moniker until we find out what his name is.

He buts in the conversation and says:
教授『は』the topic is his sentence is a professor/professors in general as indicated by the 『は』. So about the professor/professors, what does he have to say?
患者(patient)←の→家族(family) = the patient’s family + から(from) = from the patient’s family. What from the patient family? Let’s find out.

100万 = 1000000 + 程 = up to 1 million I believe as ほど【程】probably acts as an upper limit here.

After that we have 受け(popularity, favor) and then 取っている in the progressive. 取る can have various meanings but it’s most common meaning to pick up, to earn.

So to sum up, I think he says that professors earn up to a million yen as a “gift, favor” from the patient’s family/families.

1 Like

Claiming E

家族かぞくからすれば天下てんか永大教授えいだきょうじゅたのめば安心あんしだとおもったんだろう

E Analysis

Details
  • 家族からすれば; I believe すれば indicates a conditional “if this happens”. 家族(kazoku) is family (yay!!I remembered something!) and からmakes it “from my family”. Google says this entire phrase means “from my family’s perspective”! So, working backwards as I do…the phrase can be forced to got into that box by morphing the literal "if (it was) from my family"⇒if (it was) from my family ('s point of view).
  • 天下の永大教授に頼めば. In general, Aに頼むis a五段(godan)verb that means to ask or request A for a thing or to do a thing. It’s in the え+ば Hypothetical Form (conditional) form, which means “If I were to ask A” (I’m still wondering “for what?” “to do WHAT?”)
    永大(Ei Da) “Eternity University” is shorthand for Saito’s Med School where he is an intern. 教授(kyoku) is “Professor”; so why the heck is there in front of EU Professor 天下(tenka)"The World"の(possessive)?!?
  • 安心だ(shinda) condition (marked by だ) of being “safe” or “relieved”. Related noun: 安心(anshin) peace of mind, relief, reassurance. To make this noun a verb, add するon the end.
  • と思ったんだろう; form of Aと思います “to think A”, where とmarks the thing being thought. THIS LAST PART WAS WRONG [strikethrough]The んだ marks all of that (thinking that thing being thought) the condition that is “would have” conditional byろう. whew![/strikethrough] But it didn’t really change the Interpretation.

E Interpretation
This is still the new guy with glasses talking. I’m pretty sure that he’s the “tall, dark and handsome with glasses” intern from the classroom scene a few pages back when they named who would get to participate in the “eel” surgery.

He says,

If it was from (the patient’s?) family, I would think that they would ask the world famous Professor to make (the patient) safe.

Me says, “I gave it my best shot.”. :smiley:

2 Likes

Shannon, would you mind using the headline tag to make it big and noticeable? It makes it easier for me when updating the topic for letters available.

<h1>Your letter here</h1>

I’m copy/pasting your interpretations in the first thread so it’s easy for someone who claims a letter to keep track of the sentences without bouncing around from reply to reply.

Please don’t use the spoiler tag as it can’t be copy/pasted and I have to type everything. Also, if possible, find use bold or italic or a color so that I can easily spot your interpretation.

1 Like

F

I’ll claim :top:, last one for me for today.

《アナタ『は』さっきの執刀医の…》
アナタ(you) is written in katakana for some reason that’s the topic. さっき I’ve seen before as it mean “just” now which is linked 『の』with surgeon 執刀医【しっとうい】as for the 『の』is a sentence ending particle.

I guess he’s saying:
You were that surgeon just now/a moment ago.

『の』here comes at the end if a sentence but since it’s a manga I don’t know if it means it links what was said in that panel to the next speech bubble/panel.

Otherwise, 『の』at the end of a sentence has a different meaning than the usual possessive/linking function. Apparently it can express strong assertiveness.

Oh, that looks like (La)TeX formatting

… after some testing, it seems to be only the “math” subset of LaTeX that is supported (so no \ruby nor vertical writting etc);

And it doesn’t work in quotation sections

other than color, there is the \stackrel that is interesting, it takes two arguments, and stacks them up/lower, so it can be used for furigana (the syntax is simpler than the html one).

• color: $これ{は\color{green}赤\color{red}くな}い$ : これ{は\color{green}\text{赤}\color{red}くな}い

there is no need of “text” command, nor of white space (the only need is that nothing comes before ipening “$” and nothing (or a blank) after the closing “$”).

The color goes until another color, or end of line.
To limit the color it can be enclosed in a limited scope with { }, last color will then run until the end of the scope.

That adds however code in the middle (even if not visible) that make automatic word recognition tools not recognize them (it is af it were “これは/赤/くな/い” instead of “これは赤くない”

• furigana : $\stackrel{た}{田}\stackrel{なか}{中}さん$ : \stackrel{た}{田}\stackrel{なか}{中}さん

It does add a space at the end? (before さん)… maybe using the same without upper part ?

• furigana : $\stackrel{た}{田}\stackrel{なか}{中}\stackrel{}{さん}$ : \stackrel{た}{田}\stackrel{なか}{中}\stackrel{}{さん} … better
  • furigana on whole word: $\stackrel{たなか}{田中}\stackrel{}{さん}$ : \stackrel{たなか}{田中}\stackrel{}{さん}

(I still don’t like furigana for reading excercises)

1 Like

Thank you, it makes color coding less tedious. I’ll add your reply to the initial message if you don’t mind.

Re: E

Could you develop this further please, I’m not sure I follow. Isn’t this ~だろう which means: “I think, I guess, I wonder”? As in:

なんと美しい日の出なのだろう
(I think) it’s a beautiful sunset.

Could you clarify please?

The “must” is done with V-なければならない (lit. “if not-V-ing, then it won’t become”, so in order for it to become, it must be done.)

But here it is V-なければいいではないか,
not good would be よくない, so here with いい it is “good” => “if not-V-ing, then it is good”, so it hould do it), and じゃないか as a way of saying “isn’t it?

Well, maybe I’m completly wrong, but I feel that makes more sense, in context (after all, professor \stackrel{かすかべ}{春日部} does practice operations… well, just initial incisions actually…
so maybe you are right, he says he should do it…

I don’t know, 助けが必要

3 Likes

It is not 斉藤 but \stackrel{しらとり}{白鳥}\stackrel{たかひさ}{貴久} saying that sentence (so the surprised looks of both students)

1 Like

Re: D

What I don’t understand is the use of 受け here. I mean clearly it’s not a favour since the families are paying ton of money. Is he being sarcastic?

@YanagiPablo
Don’t forget to head your message with the letter so that people know which panel you are taking about. You yourself has said you get lost in the topics and that’s actually why I suggested that solution :grin:.

1 Like

G

I'll claim ↑.

From now on I’ll be hiding my comments in collapsable tags, this should dramatically shorten the page length and reduce scrolling.

Transcription

Close-up:
≪第一外科『の』白鳥貴久だ≫
This one is fairly straightforward and doesn’t require much (if any) explanation.

The first surgery of Shiratori Takahiki.

2 Likes