小川未明童話集 - Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories (Beginner Book Club)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

Welcome to 小川未明童話集 - Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories

Where to buy

Bookwalker | Kindle | Kobo | Amazon 2013 ed. (physical book, different collection) | CDJapan 2013 ed. (physical book, different collection) | Amazon 1951/2003 ed. (physical book, different collection) | CDJapan 1951/2003 ed. (physical book, different collection) | Aozora (free!), see links at chapters

A big round of applause to @AMomentOfMusic who collected the stories from our schedule into PDF and Word (docx) documents.

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We started reading on August 28th, 2021.

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 1 Aug 28th 10. 野ばら123 22 111 5
Week 2 Sep 4th 1. 電信柱と妙な男2 8 5
Week 3 Sep 11th 3. 眠い町12 51 24 8
Week 4 Sep 18th 7. 殿さまの茶わん12 135 69 8
Week 5 Sep 25th 16. 月夜と眼鏡123 27 130 8
Week 6 Oct 2nd 5. 金の輪12 + start of 13. 大きなかに1 (until 床の中に寝ているのでした。) 175 48 4 + ~4
Week 7 Oct 9th End of 13. 大きなかに1 59 ~9
Week 8 Oct 16th 4. 牛女12 143 38 10
Week 9 Oct 23rd 14. 飴チョコの天使1 90 10
Week 10 Oct 30th 2. 黒い旗物語2 13 11
Week 11 Nov 6th 15. 黒い人と赤いそり1 225 10
Week 12 Nov 13th 9. 港に着いた黒んぼ12 185 85 14
Week 13 Nov 20th 6. 赤いろうそくと人魚123 7 53 15

1: Contained in 1951ed. paperback book

2: Contained in 2013ed. paperback book

3: Audio recording available

Bonus Weeks

For those of you who would like to finish the Bookwalker ebook, these are the remaining stories. They are not contained in either of the paperback books, but all but one of them are available on Aozora. I will post screenshots of the missing story in its thread.

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 14.1 Nov 27th 8. 角笛吹く子 7
Week 14.2 Nov 27th 11. 酔っぱらい星 8
Week 15.1 Dec 4th 12. 木に上った子供 8
Week 15.2 Dec 4th 17. 白い馬 4
Week 16 Dec 11th 18. 蠟人形 12

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 小川未明童話集 - Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback (+ maybe some Aozora)
  • Aozora only

0 voters

20 Likes

Hello and welcome to Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories :slight_smile:

The ebook that I based my nomination on contains 18 short stories. Unfortunately, the matching physical book is out of print, but there are some other books which contain short stories, but of course not exactly the same collection… :woman_shrugging:
Luckily, most (or maybe even all) of the stories are available on Aozora for free (I will double-check this and add the links soon), so we can maybe mix and match to cover them all. Another option would be to drop some of the short stories, of course.

In the OP you can see the names of the chapters and their lengths. Disclaimer: I calculated those lengths from the Bookwalker ebook, so they will not be 100% accurate, but I hope the accuracy is good enough. When I was in doubt, I rounded up, so I would rather expect the actual length to be slightly shorter than what I’ve listed above. If we feel the need, we can fine-tune this later on.

Here is a first attempt at a schedule:

(Now outdated) schedule attempt
Chapter Page Count
17. 白い馬 5
7. 殿さまの茶わん 6
3. 眠い町 7
11. 酔っぱらい星 7
4. 牛女 8
14. 飴チョコの天使 8
15. 黒い人と赤いそり 8
2. 黒い旗物語 9
13. 大きなかに 10
18. 蠟人形 10
1. 電信柱と妙な男 + 8. 角笛吹く子 6 + 4 = 10
5. 金の輪 + 12. 木に上った子供 3 + 7 = 10
10. 野ばら + 16. 月夜と眼鏡 4 + 7 = 11
6. 赤いろうそくと人魚 12
9. 池に着いた黒んぼ 12

This is a rather long schedule at 15 weeks, but we get a nice ramp-up in speed, starting from 5 pages per week and ending at 12 pages for 2 weeks. If we feel that this is too much, we can always decide to drop the last 2 or 3 weeks. Which would then also shorten the schedule. :sunglasses:

I’d like to hear your opinions! And if somebody has a better suggestion or even better numbers for the story lengths, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’m excited :slight_smile:

I double checked the entries with the Aozora by WK level list a friendly durtle made a few years ago. I could not find the following entries:

Here is a full list for Ôgawa Mimei on Aozora:
Aozora: Entries by 小川 未明

Also I remember, I had found some free and legal audio files for one or two of the stories. Would this be something to share in here?

We could go through the pdf files on aozora and and those numbers as well. I remember for 大きなかに it was ~6 pages.

And we also have some discussion threads for 大きなかに here in the forums already. We could link them in the corresponding thread once we are reading the story. Not sure if we have threads for other of his stories as well.

5 Likes

Btw, just found the Amazon Digital Link (Kindle). Only 550JPY But not much availability of the physical copy.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking the stories! The “bear” story is different, unfortunately, and I could not find the “horse” story either on Aozora! Really weird :thinking:
Anyways, I suggest we skip that story then, as the Aozora-readers will not be able to access it. Which will shrink our schedule to 14 weeks (or less, if we decide to skip some of the longest ones at the end).

Ah, yes, that’s the one. My book uses the old version of the kanji, while Aozora uses the new version.

Sure, as long as they are legal! If you post the links here, I can add them to the OP so they don’t get lost.

Actually, the reading is おがわ (which is 小川) and not おおがわ (which would be 大川). Confusing as it is :woman_shrugging:

Not really sure how much information that would add because the number of pages of a PDF depends heavily on all sorts of settings like paper size, size of borders around text, choice of font and font size, and maybe even others. I would rather wait for somebody to get one of the physical books, so that we can get a better feel for the lengths of the stories based on the physical pages. (Although I know that they will probably also differ between the two different collections :tired_face:)

Oh, that’s nice! If you could mention them later in the corresponding threads, that would probably be helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you, I added it (and also the links that @Radish8 dug up - thank you!) to the OP.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a sensible schedule that prioritises pairing up the ‘missing’ stories from the physical books with ones that are present, so that there’s always one story per week you could read without turning to Aozora :thinking:

I mean, not that there’s really any problem with reading something for free on Aozora! But for those who really dislike reading on screens / the weeks with stories not available on Aozora, it would mean people with physical copies were still able to read something every week.

I will have a play!

(Might be useful to poll people on which physical copy they’re buying; if everybody gets the same one it will make things much simpler.)

I realise I should probably prioritise creating a thread for the book club I’m running, which starts before this one…

8 Likes

I see what you’re aiming at! I think those who really dislike reading on screens can always revert to printing out the Aozora stories. But I could as well add a marker for which story is in which collection. Then it would be easier to play around with arranging them. Do you have the table of contents somewhere for the two editions? I could not find them anywhere…

5 Likes

Jawohl.

They even include the page numbers!

Missing from 2013 edition
  • 角笛吹く子 *
  • 酔っぱらい星 *
  • 木に上った子供 *
  • 大きなかに
  • 飴チョコの天使
  • 黒い人と赤いそり
  • 白い馬 *

*Also missing from 1951 edition

Missing from 1951 edition
  • 電信柱と妙な男
  • 黒い旗物語
  • 角笛吹く子 *
  • 酔っぱらい星 *
  • 木に上った子供 *
  • 白い馬 *

*Also missing from 2013 edition

白い馬 is not only missing from both but also not on Aozora, seemingly.

4 Likes

Guys, I just want to pop here to say that I do appreciate your hardwork to make all stories available to everyone for every format (paper/paperless) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I tried to look for the 白い馬 one too, but it’s practically impossible to find online on a free website :expressionless:

I’ll keep looking for it since I’m still unsure whether to take the Bookwalker one or Amazon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Don’t worry too much about that story, I think I will just remove it from our schedule. I think we have plenty of stories to read anyways :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fine :blush: Can’t wait to start this one since it’s very interesting!

Now I should catch up with the others that I’m reading :slight_smile:

See you around :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

:wave: See you soon!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this, it will be the first non-manga I’ve read in Japanese, which is exciting!
I’m planning to read a 2013 physical copy, but I might try to read the missing stories on Aozora too.

The schedule looks great to me, thanks for all the hard work you do organizing these book clubs!

5 Likes

Soooo. I’ve looked into this once more (thank you for providing me with the tables of contents!) and now I’ve figured out evvvverything :face_with_monocle:

First of all, I looked at how many pages each story has in the paperback books. To my surprise, there seems to be quite a bit less text per page in those two editions than I had thought, i. e. the stories are longer in terms of pages than what I had originally calculated. So I adapted the page counts to the figures I got from the paperback books (mainly the 1951ed. where available). Then I prioritized the stories that are in one or both of the paperback books, which got me to this schedule:

| Chapter | Page 1951ed. | Page 2013ed. | Page Count |
| :- | -: | -: | -: | -: |
| 10. 野ばら12 | 22 | 111 | 5 |
| 1. 電信柱と妙な男2 || 8 | 5 |
| 3. 眠い町12 | 51 | 24 | 8 |
| 7. 殿さまの茶わん12 | 135 | 69 | 8 |
| 16. 月夜と眼鏡12 | 27 | 130 | 8 |
| 5. 金の輪12 + start of below story | 175 | 48 | 4 + ~4 |
| 13. 大きなかに1 | 59 || ~9 |
| 4. 牛女12 | 143 | 38 | 10 |
| 9. 港に着いた黒んぼ12 | 185 | 85 | ~10 |
| End of above, start of below story | || ~4 + ~5 |
| 6. 赤いろうそくと人魚12 | 7 | 53 | ~10 |
| 14. 飴チョコの天使1 | 90 || 10 |
| 2. 黒い旗物語2 || 13 | 11 |
| 15. 黒い人と赤いそり1 | 225 || 10 |

1: Contained in 1951ed. paperback book

2: Contained in 2013ed. paperback book

This schedule covers 14 weeks, which I think is a suitable length. Luckily I could arrange the stories so that the paperback book readers will never have two weeks in a row where they have to read only from Aozora. (But keep in mind that you can print out the Aozora stories if it’s the screen that bothers you.)
Those of you who decide to only read from the paperback book and not go to Aozora at all will miss out on 2 stories if they read the 1951ed. book and will miss out on 3 stories if they read the 2013ed. book.

I decided to exclude 5 stories from the ebook edition (those stories are not contained in either of the paperback books, and one of them is not even on Aozora). But as the schedule is already 14 weeks, I think that’s fine. We can always run a spin-off book club and read All The Stories™ :wink:
(In case you don’t know yet, the ebook edition book is actually the first in a series of 3 books :upside_down_face:)

I have not yet looked into how to split those stories that extend across two weeks, but I will look into these closer to the date.

If you have further ideas for improvement, please feel free :slight_smile:

17 Likes

:open_mouth: This schedule looks great! :open_mouth:
Thanks so much for considering us paperback readers :blush: .

From looking at the 花子くん schedule, is it safe to assume we will be starting this around September?

2 Likes

Oh, thanks for the nudge! I wanted to double-check its schedule but then forgot…

Yes, if we assume the usual one-week break between book clubs, we will start reading this book on August 28th. I will update the OP with the schedule and the proper dates soon.

EDIT: Updated :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just realized that I own this book – it was among the first bunch of Japanese books I ever ordered. I think I’ve read one of the stories back when I still wasn’t confident enough to read a whole novel.

Maybe I’ll join you for some of the stories. :>

5 Likes

Thanks for looking into it. Yes, bear and horse might be different :sweat_smile: Also, thanks a lot for working out a schedule that works for people going with the printed book / ebook version and for those going with aozora.

Point taken. Since the link is shared a couple of times within the WK forums already I am quite confident this time though… (but @ everyone: please let me know in case durtles still feel different about it…)

That’s so me :see_no_evil: I wish I could claim it was a type… Thanks for spotting it though.

3 Likes

Thank you for the audio recordings information! The site looks pretty ok to me as well. I’ve added the information to the OP and annotated those stories where an audio recording is available.

3 Likes

My copy just arrived! I always forget that Japanese books are really small, it’s so fat and adorable :blush:

Not sure if it’s useful at this point, but happy to look up / confirm page numbers or anything.

5 Likes