Master List of Book Clubs

@seanblue Any issues with me moving the Murata bookclub into the intermediate club offshoot section? I can also remove 殺人出産 from the miscellaneous club section to clean things up since it falls under the Murata club umbrella.

It feels out of place to me. Up until now, the offshoot section has been used for series that were read as part of the given difficulty club (e.g. Aria in the beginner book club), and then continued on the side. That’s not really the case for this.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? If there’s a consensus, I’m fine with it.

• Individual Murata books belong in the miscellaneous scheduled section (one entry per book)
  • Murata book club as a whole belongs in the miscellaneous scheduled section (one entry for the author)
  • Murata book club as a whole belongs in the intermediate book club offshoot section (one entry for the author)
  • Other (please comment)

0 voters

There’s also the fact I’m not only done with the book, but I have already sold it to BookOff so uh I’m pretty much done with that club.

1 Like

If kept as a “Murata” book club, I feel it is indeed an offshoot. At the same time, I think it’s more informative to have each book separately in the table… :thinking:

3 Likes

If you finished the book, but didn’t post about it here, did you even finish?

3 Likes

I did post about it! You even liked that post.
It was in the 多読 thread, though. I can link my post in the relevant thread if you want :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think this hits every definition of the “offshoot” clubs except that it’s not technically a series. It also started following the repeat コンビニ人間 club instead of immediately following the initial club, which I guess makes it a little different. But because the Murata club exists it feels neater to me to put it all together under one heading instead of having several harder-to-find miscellaneous books, and @Phryne organized the main page very nicely so it’s easy to find more information about each individual book from there. I’ll see what the vote says and defer to your judgement.

4 Likes

Hmmm, first I was thinking that if it’s a book club where we get to pick books and read them in a non-specific order, then it is technically something at the same level as e.g. the Beginner or Intermediate Book Club. But having it as another top level entry in the OP would definitely not be to my liking as it will fragment things too much.

That’s an interesting take on it. I also like the idea of keeping the books somewhat grouped together in the OP as not all of them are famous and so the value (in terms of discoverability) of having listed them as individual entries is not that high in my opinion. So, bottom line, I’d also be in favour of adding the whole club as an offshoot in the Intermediate Club (because if we regard it as being a “series”, then it started from an Intermediate Club pick).

4 Likes

This is my main argument for grouping them.

3 Likes

Thank you for pinging me! I was a bit lazy these past weeks. I’ll update the thread this week, there are two of us left, but there is a schedule, and I continue to stick to it and update word lists… So I want to believe that it is still in progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I just took a glance at some of the books mentioned in absolute beg/beg/int and all I saw were mangas (didn’t read every single posts though) but I was wondering if some clubs were reading novels? I’m aiming at begin/inter lvl though

I believe the absolute beginner book club does read kids books fairly often. The beginner book club has read a few kids books as well (such as 魔女の宅急便 and 時をかける少女). In fact, they are starting a short story collection in late August, though I don’t know the details since I’m not planning to read it with them.

As you can probably imagine, the intermediate book club and advanced book club almost always read novels.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for novels at a lower intermediate level you could check out the Sayaka Murata book club, her works all seem to be on the easier side language wise.

5 Likes

Like @seanblue said, we will be reading a collection of children’s short stories written by Ogawa Mimei starting end of August. You can find more about it in the book club’s home thread. All the stories are freely available and therefore you don’t even need to buy a book! The reading pace is pretty slow because it is the Beginner Book Club, which might be a pro or a con for you though :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve picked out the non-manga that absolute beginner book club has read. The detective books are a series of detective novels aimed at children, very good beginner books (we’ve read four out of the five in the series). The other books are fact books rather than novels but also good beginner material for reading prose.

3 Likes

I put up 地縛少年花子くん in the Miscellaneous (non-nonscheduled) section of the list since a few of us decided to keep reading in an informal format. We didn’t continue as a scheduled offshoot due to lack of members.

3 Likes

I just cleaned up a bunch of stuff. Moved books from in progress to complete and from upcoming to in progress. I think everything should be up to date now, except @Naphthalene will need to add a link to the ヨコハマ entry once they create the home thread.

EDIT:
And with @rodan’s help it’s even more up to date. :blush: (and typo free :laughing:)

5 Likes

I didn’t correct any typos, but I did fix my mistake of pasting Panorama Island in the Beginner’s Club originally and then poorly covered my tracks :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh, I read your one change backwards. You changed TBD to TBA according to the diff. Any reason you wanted to make that distinction? Or just a conflict with my change and you just happened to pick that phrase independently of me putting TBD?

1 Like

Genuinely, I pasted the Panorama Island book club into the beginner section, saved, then realized what I’d done and replaced it hastily - I just picked the first TBX that came into my head!
Apparently I did it fast enough discourse didn’t save my first edit… I would have gotten away with too it if it weren’t for those meddling Ds!

Far from fixing any, arguably I added a typo! Voting is more deciding than announcing huh…

3 Likes