Start Date: Dec 4th
Previous Part: Week 14.2
Next Part: Week 15.2

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 15.1 Dec 4th 12. 木に上った子供 8

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

I don’t have much to say about this story but the thread was too empty :slight_smile:
Another case of a sad, disappearing child. I take it he’s supposed to have turned into a star and joined his mother. Funny how he also didn’t have a father but he never missed him. I guess fathers were more distant back then. The image of the huge tree touching the sky was a nice one in any case, and the children’s debate about it quite entertaining.

2 Likes

Yes, I really liked this story!
Such powerful imagery with the stars overhead and the boy looking at them every night trying to find his mother. I think in Germany we have this folk belief that a mother who died turns into an angel and looks down from the sky in order to protect her children, so I could definitely relate to this.
Also, the children’s discussions were hilarious, and even the adults shying away from climbing the tree at night because something evil could lurk there :joy_cat:

3 Likes

This made me read the story :smiley: and yes, their conversations were fun (also how the various kids and their way of replying were described).

Indeed…

Well, I wouldn’t climb a huge tree in the dark on a windy night either :wink:

3 Likes