Start Date: Nov 27th
Previous Part: Week 13
Next Part: Week 14.2

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 14.1 Nov 27th 8. 角笛吹く子 7

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

Well, this was…beyond unexpected. In a good way. Just as I was thinking, not another poor, mistreated, suffering child, please, the twist came. And what a twist it was.

So, was the boy Winter? Is that why he felt happy when it was bitterly cold and there was heavy snowfall, but unhappy when the sun was sparkling off the sea? And the old lady, or crow demon, came to help him along to colder places? What was the owl clock all about? Marking the passage of time/seasons maybe? The children, who could now play outside on the dry street, mocked him, because he was weak now, but why on earth would he be afraid of the sheep? I guess sheep grazing also signify spring. And then the golden arrows - these again might be sunrays, helping new grass grow. Our boy may need to retreat even further North I’m afraid. :grin:

3 Likes

Your description made me intrigued so I decided to read this story too and your interpretation seems sound. Not much to add, quite enjoyable this one :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed, the clock might just be there to emphasise that this story is about a time-related theme (the seasons).

3 Likes