Start Date: Oct 23rd
Previous Part: Week 8
Next Part: Week 10

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 9 Oct 23rd 14. 飴チョコの天使1 90 10

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough now that we’ve reordered the stories a bit, should I reorganize the vocab sheet tabs as well? :slight_smile:

Oh whoops, this should’ve gone to the main thread probably. My bad! :man_facepalming:

Edit: lol my English :joy:

2 Likes

Hey all, here are some bits and pieces from this week’s challenging grammar:

なんといっても子供らは、箱の中に入っている、飴チョコさえ食べればいいのです。- Relevant grammar points are http://www.e-japanese.jp/?p=674 and https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n3-grammar-さえ-ば-sae-ba/, I think: By any account, the children were content with just eating the chocolate.

この都会へはこられないばかりか、この景色を見ることもできない - https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/ばかりか-bakari-ka-meaning/ - Not only being unable to return to that city, but also being unable to see this landscape.

ここに話をしますのは、それらの多くの天使の中の一人であるのはいうまでもありません。- は言うまでもない - Grammar - Kanshudo - It goes without saying that this story is about one of those many angels.

ただ車が石の上をガタガタと踊りながら、なんでものどかな、田舎道を、。。。
「だんだん、のどかになりますだ」
This is a bit hard to parse, I think, so my hint would be 長閑 - Jisho.org.

「お前さんは、どこまでゆかしゃる」- This is an old polite conjugation which you can still see in words like おっしゃる and いらっしゃる. The verb in question is 行く (with the alternative reading ゆく). - “Dear sir, where are you heading to?”

おそらくありますまい。- This is the negative volitional: https://www.imabi.net/thevolitionalii.htm - “perhaps won’t be”

よりはほかになかったのであります。This does not have the usual meaning of “than” that you might know from ~より~の方が. Instead it is より - Jisho.org #3, “except, other than”, and there is even a complete grammar point for the construction: Japanese よりほかに…ない grammar yorihokani…nai (in our case, は is thrown in for additional contrast). - “Only on that day”

それをば手に持って - Not a typo, but apparently an old form of を: をば - Jisho.org

7 Likes

天使てんしでありますから、たとえやぶられても、かれても、またかれても、わけではなし、またいたいということもなかったのです。

Typo in the highlighted part? Shouldn’t it be わけではないし? In Tobira I have the (という)わけ+じゃない/ではない grammar point (it is not the case that ~)

3 Likes

It seems that なし would be a classical variant of ないし according to this question and answer.

(EDIT: For the grammar point as such you are of course correct.)

4 Likes

Here is a construction that appeared in a previous story, in a very similar context, but is not a major grammar point.
いろいろのはなには、まだはやかったけれど、うめはなは、もうかおっていました。

It was still too early for various (most?) flowers to bloom, but plum flowers were already fragrant.

I only ever see には used in reference to nouns, but it looks like one can apply it to sentence clauses for contrast.

That plot twist, though… :joy:

「どちらへ、おおくりになるのですか。」
東京とうきょうまごに、もちをおくってやるついでに、なにかお菓子かしれてやろうとおもってな。」と、おばあさんはこたえました。
「しかし、ご隠居いんきょさん、このあめチョコは、東京とうきょうからきたのです。」

Thoughts

このしずかな黄昏たそがれがた、三にん天使てんしは、あおそらのぼってゆきました。

For the majority of the story I wasn’t really sure what is it about, because it felt sad (due to the chocolate angel’s poor fate sometimes), but the narrative itself wasn’t exactly sad. Perhaps just slightly nostalgic. Until the sentence above showed up and I realized it’s probably again a reference to Mimei’s children who died early.

8 Likes

Of course, it’s a grammar point! :joy_cat: JLPT N3 Grammar: には (ni wa) Meaning – JLPTsensei.com

3 Likes

Here is one more difficult sentence I’d like to point out (had to check back with my 先輩 on that one because I couldn’t solve the puzzle on my own :grin:):

「なあんだ、飴チョコか」と、子供らは、口ではいったものの喜んで、
At first I read this as で入った物の but this does not make any sense at all (especially not grammar-wise).
Turns out it is では言ったものの with 【口で言う】とはどういう意味ですか? - 日本語に関する質問 | HiNative and https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-ものの-mono-no/ as the relevant hints.

“Whaat, just chocolate” said the children out loud but were happy nonetheless

6 Likes
My very short thoughts on the story

So, I guess this was basically a study on the pointlessness of existence?

Mother: Children, how about a bedtime story about chocolate?
Children: Hurray!
Mother: It’s by Ogawa Mimei.
Children: Noooooooooooooo!

9 Likes

:joy:

I don’t have much to add this week. I thought this week’s story was again a little easier to read (I might have to admit that it does get easier over time :sweat_smile:), but I was a little busy so I didn’t have time yet to dive into the deeper grammar points yet (@NicoleIsEnough thanks again for the explanations!)

Story-wise, I thought it was a fine fairy tale, but not very exciting. There were some nice descriptions of scenes, but they didn’t grab me as much as in 月夜と眼鏡.

5 Likes

It was a story about the distribution chain for 飴チョコ.

6 Likes