Start Date: Dec 4th
Previous Part: Week 15.1
Next Part: Week 16

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages 1951ed. Pages 2013ed. Page Count
Week 15.2 Dec 4th 17. 白い馬 4

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

The story

3 Likes

Thank you for uploading the story, Nicole. It was a fun little story, although, unsurprisingly, I’m unsure what to make of it. Mimei seems fond of disappearing children (and magical old women).
So is the boy dead? Why? Because he lied? Because his mother worked him to death? The old woman was kind to him throughout. Was she pretending, or did she actually save him from his cruel life? If so, not by killing him surely? (Turning him into a spirit or whatever she did does equal killing, doesn’t it?) Sigh.

Language question. There’s this sentence towards the end:
さあ、この白い馬にお乗り、こんなところにおらんで好いへ行けるから。
What is おらんで here? Ichi.moe suggests it’s the negative of おる, to be. “Well, get on this white horse, so that you can go to a nice country and not be here”?

1 Like

Glad you liked it :slight_smile: It was the first one I read (even long before the book club started) so I don’t remember all the details, but I think the old woman kind of tested the boy’s integrity? As in, she kept asking him how old he was, and each time he would lie more and more (as instructed by the mother) and she found this out. That seemed to be the reason for her action? But why she took him away is not really clear to me. Maybe to protect him from his mother?
For your question, that’s how I read it as well. (Maybe I would have translated “without being here” but it’s not that it would make more sense in English…)

2 Likes

Yes it didn’t seem to me like she wanted to punish the boy, but rather his greedy mother, who lost her means of easy income. Riding a white horse to some undefined nice country doesn’t sound bad, more like he’s being “freed”. But the fact that his reflection stuck around seems to indicate that he was freed from this mortal world as a whole, not just his mother.

2 Likes