よつばと! Vol 7 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I feel like if the entire class is failing, there’s something wrong with the class itself rather than the students.

(Though, a friend of mine had their entire ethics class fail because every single student copied an essay off the internet - and worse, the same essay. An ethics class. The irony.)

This calls for a Yotsumoji reaction shot, I think, but I haven’t got the manga on me…

4 Likes

The material we got was great, it’s just that sometimes people didn’t do the homework, and didn’t ask questions when they could. We’re supposed to be adults (at least most of us were), so if no one asked questions, the teacher moved on to the next topic. Is basically what it boils down to.

3 Likes

Ok, found my reaction shot.

Yotsumoji

5 Likes

YES!
I finally made it to volume 7 and will probably join up for chapter 46 per 25-2. よろしく!

4 Likes

Page 102

Fuuka: フッフッフー 私の美的センスを信じて
Fuuka (huffing and puffing): please have confidence in my aesthetic sense

Shimau: ムチャ言うなよ
Shimau: nonsense, don’t say, yeah

Is Shimau saying “don’t talk rubbish” (ie, your sense of design is not so good) or is she saying “nonsense, don’t say anything [yet]” ie it’s too soon to tell?

I’m assuming that ムチャ is むちゃくちゃ.

Thank you!

1 Like

:joy: What is this, the three little pigs? :rofl:
フフフ is a type of laugh. :stuck_out_tongue:

ムチャ is 無茶, yes. :smiley:
“Don’t say unreasonable; absurd things.” So I’d say your first sentence.

4 Likes

Page 102

Thank you so much @Kazzeon!

And it seems you are perfectly spot on again!!

I just asked the resident expert about this sentence, ムチャ言うなよ (it’s Saturday and she’s free at the moment), and she said it’s always むちゃ, not むちゃくちゃ, and it’s a common response to being asked to do something! eg. if she asks me to clean the flat, I can respond with this sentence.

So I said “great, I’ll use it at work” and she said "NO!!, you’ll get into trouble!!” and I got a stern warning to use the polite form "むちゃ言わないでください”!

1 Like

Page 105

一時はどうなることかと

一時は - before / for a while
どう- how
なる - to become
こと - thing / nominaliser
か - embedded question particle
と - quotation particle? Quoting herself?

“For a while there I wondered what would become of this cake”

2 Likes

Page 106

Made it to the final page of the chapter!

Dad: ケーキを作ってたのかあそれは楽しみだ

ケーキを - cake + を
作ってた - was making (?)
の - explanation particle (?)
か - embedded question particle (?)
あ - ???
それは - that + は
楽しみだ looking forward to

“So were you making a cake then? I’m looking forward to that”

Ena: 今さっきできたーって聞こえた

今さっき - just now
できた - made
ーって - informal quotation particle
聞こえた - heard

" heard that [they] have just finished making it"

Any help with my translations much appreciated.

And what a great chapter! I’m exhausted, it’s been a tough one for me this week, lots of difficult vocab and grammar, but fabulous fun! Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

おめでとう!

Dad: ケーキを作ってたのかあそれは楽しみだ
作ってた - 作っていた (someone) was making
のか - endorsing and questioning the preceding statement (why the question marks, tho? :stuck_out_tongue: )
楽しみだ - (I’d go for) that sounds like fun

• 楽しみに is usually to look forward to

The extra あ is probably just because :eyes: surely

1 Like

Thank you again Kazzeon! :+1::grinning::four_leaf_clover::grinning::+1:

1 Like

A little early this time! (at least for my time zone; weird how those things work, right?)
Another week closer to finishing the volume, and (I think) the last week before any other book club starts. :open_mouth:

Discussion of Chapter 46 starts here.

Remember you can always ask questions about previous chapters.
Last week’s cake (I mean, chapter) was great! :smile: Let’s see what this one’s about. :eyes:

1 Like

I did a quick check, and it seems we have some やんだ! That’s always fun. :smiley:

1 Like

No, it’s quite late. There’s only five hours left in the day for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Chapter soundtrack time! Pretty sure this is what Yotsuba is singing at the bottom of page 120:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah! Australia and all that. :open_mouth:

Have you read all the chapters already? :eyes:

How do you find all this stuff anyway? :joy:

1 Like

I was in the middle of reading the chapter in preparation for your post when you actually posted the post. I’d just hit page 120 and went to research the song when I happened to glance back here and saw it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Next “Why is it so?” moment: bottom of page 121, どちらにしようかな is the Japanese version of “eeny meeny miny mo”. And here it is as a song.

3 Likes

I’ma also leave this here, with regards to page 114, first panel:

(After watching, I rather suspect this one is made by the mother rather than being an episode of the actual TV show. Trouble is, all the episodes of the actual show that I can find on YouTube are either potato quality or postage-stamp size…)

And also this:

Yotsumoji2

3 Likes

Hm, interesting. The …にしようかな ‘construction’ was one of the first things I learned, via below fragment. It was so funny at the time, that I always remembered it. I never really made the connection to a specific song, although it gave me a childish impression. (maybe not as interesting, just felt like mentioning it)

As a former longtime supermarket employee, reminding me of this brings me physical pain. In reality it’s not the five-year-olds doing that :tired_face:

3 Likes

I LOVED this chapter, so fun! =D

Also, I used to have a Japanese Candy subscription box (very fun! But also expensive, so stopped for a while…)
I’ve had all the ones she bought! Very yummy =^_^=

1 Like

Hah, I think I’m gonna have to watch the whole episode of this.

I’m not sure that it’s typically sung as a song (probably more of a rhythmic chant like Eeny Meeny Miny Mo), though I confess I wouldn’t particularly call myself an expert in Japanese children’s rhymes. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like