Wanikani Mistake Delay 1.0.3 (Block 'Enter' for 1s if answer is wrong) [No longer supported]

Wanikani Mistake Delay

THIS SCRIPT IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY ME.

Look at this post for further information.

Description:

After the new client-side review system was introduced, reviews became blazing fast.

The downside of that speed was that I found myself pressing 'Enter' twice after answering any question I'm sure is correct, but then finding out it isn't, yet the second 'Enter' press already took effect and it skips automatically to the following item.

This script takes care of that problem, blocking 'Enter' presses for 1 second* if a mistake is made. This makes 'Enter' spamming work only if the answer was correct, and if not will "force" you to take notice.

Note that this script does not change the behaviour of the "Next" button.

*If you wish to edit the delay to something else other than 1 second, just open the script with a text editor and edit the following line to your liking (the value is given in milliseconds):
unsafeWindow.WKMD_msDelay = 1000;

DISCLAIMER:

I am not responsible for any problems caused by this script.
This script was developed on Firefox 22.0 with Greasemonkey 1.10.
Because I'm just one person, I can't guarantee the script works anywhere else.
Though, it should also work on Chrome with Tampermonkey

Changelog:

1.0.3 (11 March 2014)
- Relicensed under the GPLv3

1.0.2 (23 January 2014)
- Now supports the HTTPS protocol.

1.0.1 (5 August 2013)
- Wanikani update changed the review URL. While the script worked, it also (invisibly) affected the reviews summary page. This has been fixed

Download Version 1.0.3:

This script can be installed here. Please do remember that this is an old version (as the script is no longer supported by me) and as such it will likely not work. If this is the case, read this thread for possible fixes from other community members.

This sounds useful. It is my habit now of tapping enter twice when answering, and I regret it when I get something wrong. I’ll give it a try when I do my reviews in an hour or so. 

It’s been useful for me (the reason for any of my Userscripts - I only create them if I think I’ll use them). My original reason to create this was because of the Override script - I’d get an answer correct but Wanikani marks it as wrong for whatever reason (typo, whatever). Since I spammed ‘Enter’ when I was sure I was correct, I never got a chance to use my Override script.

Other than that, it’s been useful once or twice when the answer I was sure was correct actually wasn’t.

Originally this was an update to Wanikani Override, but then I thought some people might want to use one or the other, and so I didn’t want to force anyone to have to use both.

Use cleverflow or wanikani improve.

Instead of pressing enter twice - it presses it for you.  So when an item is wrong it will stay wrong.

Use cleverflow or wanikani improve.

Instead of pressing enter twice - it presses it for you.  So when an item is wrong it will stay wrong.

Jatacid said... Use cleverflow or wanikani improve.
 I looked into those scripts. They're great scripts, don't get me wrong, but there are a couple reasons why I don't want to use them.

The main one is that many times I'm not completely sure of the answer, or don't remember all alternative meanings/readings, and thus do not press 'Enter' twice. Those times, after I get the answer correctly, I'll check and re-read the meanings list or/and the mnemonic to make things stick. That means that auto-skipping is an unwanted feature, and would actually be harmful to my learning since it wouldn't be compatible with the way I do things.

Another reason is that those scripts are "bloated", they have a ton of features each I don't really care for or don't want to use. This is not a criticism, since those are useful features. I just don't need them or they don't match my preferred learning method.
This is actually the main reason for me making this a separate userscript from my Wanikani Override - this way people aren't forced to use both unless they want to. For those that only want one or the other, they don't have to worry about "bloat"!

The third reason, of course, is that this was an easy thing to implement exactly the way I wanted it, and now that it's implemented, there's no longer any reason for me to use another script!

Fair points.  But the whole point of combining ‘auto next’ and the little ‘last item’ button is that if you DID want to check something for an alternate reading or whatever, it’s available to check on the last item button.  Together they work nicely and solve the problem you mentioned.  On their own they’re both rather pointless probably haha.

ruipgpinheiro said...The main one is that many times I'm not completely sure of the answer, or don't remember all alternative meanings/readings, and thus do not press 'Enter' twice. Those times, after I get the answer correctly, I'll check and re-read the meanings list or/and the mnemonic to make things stick. 
You can do that before answering the next item. There's a button that shows you the item info of the previous item. 
Also, I don't really see how wanikani override/cleverflow are bloated. They only automatically go to the next item and give you a button to view the info info of the previous one, nothing more. 

Thanks for your script though :)

Small update due to Wanikani update.

1.0.1 (5 August 2013)
Wanikani update changed the review URL. While the script worked, it also (invisibly) affected the reviews summary page. This has been fixed

I think I love you. Maybe. Quite possibly… 

Thank you. I’ll just leave it at that…/slowly walks away.

This is just what I came here looking for. Thank you!

1.0.2 (23 January 2014)
- Now supports the HTTPS protocol.

This script seems to be causing me to be unable to do reviews as it causes the loading circle to loop forever when trying to do review.

The current author of the script no longer uses WK, so if there’s anyone else out there that can make this script functional again, that would be most appreciated.

It seems to be working under Firefox 31 on Linux. What browser/os are you using?

Running Firefox 31 on Windows 7 and getting some sort of access denied error from the console. I’d try to fix it myself but I’m not free enough to take a look at the API…

Add this line:

// @grant                none

under:
// @include     https://www.wanikani.com/review/session*

and it should work.

Any chance of a re-upload for this?

kevink21 said... Add this line:

// @grant                none

under:
// @include     https://www.wanikani.com/review/session*

and it should work.

It worked! Thanks!
Samuel-H said... Any chance of a re-upload for this?
Since userscripts.org is gone, I uploaded my scripts on my personal server: http://files.ruipinheiro.eu/wanikani_scripts/
Do please remember that this is an old version, and as such it will likely not work without changes (other users posted a possible fix above)

I have successfully set up this script as recently as March 2015, but having installed this on yet another new computer this isn’t working on my Chrome/Tampermonkey setup.
I know ruipgpinheiro has ceased to maintain these wonderful scripts which they’ve created, and I have tried kevenk21’s code edit suggested above, but it’s not working. Would appreciate any current advice on how to get this back in working order!

(Or indeed this userscript becoming an integral feature of WaniKani would also be nice. As it is, I’m getting a few needless “mistakes” due to typos but I have no desire to slow down my entire review session just to avoid them - too many to do!)