Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 4 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Home Thread

Previous Volume

Next Volume

Currently Reading: Volume Complete

Summary

Middle school students Nishikata and Takagi sit next to each other in class. Takagi, who is in love with Nishikata, enjoys teasing him with embarrassing pranks and jokes. In response, Nishikata creates plans to get his revenge, but they always fail when she identifies his weaknesses and capitalizes on them.

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 December 11th Chapter 1 (27) - 水道 3 - 18 16
Week 2 December 18th Chapter 2 (28) - 部屋 19 - 34 16
Week 3 December 25th Chapter 3 (29) - 21ゲーム 35 - 50 16
Week 4 January 1st Chapter 4 (30) - 占い 51 - 66 16
Week 5 January 8th Chapter 5 (31) - お誘い 69 - 84 16
Week 6 January 15th Chapter 6 (32) - ポーカー 85 - 100 16
Week 7 January 22nd Chapter 7 (33) - ネコ 101 - 116 16
Week 8 January 29th Chapter 8 (34) - ケータイ 117 - 132 16
Week 9 February 5th Chapter 9 (35) - 写真 133 - 148 16
Week 9 February 5th Bonus - おまけ 150 - 153 4

As before, given how short the bonus chapter is, we will be reading Chapter 9 and the Bonus Chapter in the same week.

Discussion Guidelines

• Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, even if you think it’s a silly question. Helping each other learn is what book clubs are all about! :slight_smile:
  • When asking for help, please include the ‘ chapter page number ’. This makes it easier for others to help you and it makes the information in this thread more searchable. The ‘chapter page numbers’ are the ones in between the panels on every page, not the ones that occasionally appear at the bottom of the page (those would be the volume page numbers).
  • Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages and any content from later in the book/series by using spoiler tags: text here.

Where To Buy

Physical: Amazon JPCDJapan

Digital: Amazon JPBookwalker

Vocabulary

Chapter Participants

7 Likes
Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

4 Likes

Oh huh, volume 4 already

I just finished my coursework today, but I’m going to be catching up on some other bits first so hopefully I’ll get to this soonish

4 Likes
Anyone else find that buying this volume cost them 4,541円?

Screenshot_20211209_145513

9 Likes

strangely mine ALWAYS cost more…sometimes way more

:tired_face:

4 Likes

終わって、面白かったですね。

…populated the spreadsheet…Must say this one actually took me a little bit more work…got hung up in a few places (also learned some new forms of things)…sure there will be some questions about this chapter. Hopefully the vocab list helps a bit …

This chapter did make me laugh out loud for real…nice heartwarming stories as always.

6 Likes

I like that although she teases him a lot, she cheers him up when he’s feeling down :blush:

8 Likes

I just wrapped up my reading of Chapter 1. It was really sweet, and a nice reprieve from the difficulty of the other books I’m reading right now! Only had one sentence that tripped me up, but I attribute that less to the difficulty of the sentence (because honestly, it was really simple), and more to the fact that my brain is a little fried at the moment.

Either way, I’m certainly happy to be back reading about these two. They always manage to bring a smile to my face. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Happy weekend, everyone! Looking forward to another weekend of adolescent flirting? :stuck_out_tongue:

• I will catch up later!

0 voters

5 Likes

I really love that we have our own little core group of readers :orange_book:

6 Likes

I’ll ask a question since it’s been a while and I can’t be the only one that would have this … searched around a bit but couldn’t find anything that satisfied me…

Page 27 Chapter Page 9

西方くん says… 夢ではなかろうか。
Found this explanation and with deepL makes sense…but wondering if there is an simpler more global explanation? Haven’t seen this with i-adj until now (or if I have don’t remember or ignored it… :smiley: )

translation - よかろう - What does it mean? Where does it come from? - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

was hoping there might be a more clear and concise way to grasp this…also does this exist in bunpro somewhere?

========== edit ==========
finished the chapter…super adorable!!!

7 Likes

Maybe here?

http://guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/volitional2

10 Likes

Ahahah. Ninja’d me by about three seconds. I was just about to post that exact same link talking about advanced volitionals. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes
Maybe I received a boost of speed because I saw this one a few months ago.

Screenshot_20211217_151701
Screenshot_20211217_151721

4 Likes

feel like I must have come across this somewhere before but maybe a year or more ago… :wink:

don’t recall seeing this anywhere on bunpro?

2 Likes

I don’t see it on Bunpro either. Maybe it’s sitting on their to-do list?

3 Likes

Just wrapped up my reading of the chapter! I had a couple snags here and there, but both were easily remedied. First, I had forgotten that い-adjectives could have さ replace the い in order to become a noun, but as soon as I remembered that, I had no problems. The other issue was I misread ひたすら as ひとすら in my first read, and the sentence didn’t really make sense with that wording, but that was easily rectified with paying more attention when I read the second time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Story Comments/Standout Panels

I’m a big fan of how, even though she teases him all the time, Takagi genuinely cares about Nishikata and tries to be a (mostly) good influence on him in subtle ways. It’s really endearing.

Obvious set-up is obvious. :stuck_out_tongue: But Nishikata never learns. It is cute how much she seems to always want to do the tandem-riding, though. She definitely seems to be a big fan of it!

Takagi’s always been a little more comfortable with being in Nishikata’s personal space to some extent, but I’ve definitely noticed a trend with the past few chapters in both this and the previous volume that she seems to be getting even more adventurous in that regard. It’s funny seeing how much it flusters him every time, though. :laughing:

D’awww.

As always, adorable chapter! I really like having a manga like this and Ayumu that I can just keep returning to for some light-hearted fun (and less complicated grammar). While it’s perhaps not as educational as some of the other things I’m reading right now, it’s a nice feeling to having something that I can properly read with only the occasional hiccough!

10 Likes

and this is why I love this manga…I get to actually enjoy reading in Japanese :smiley:

9 Likes

We are starting to roll into another weekend, which means it’s almost time for some more reading! How is everybody doing? I’m finding I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the amount of reading I want to get done, but so far, I’m keeping up! Once some of the current clubs finish, I’ll likely step away from those, though. It’s about time that I start doing some light novel reading, and trying to balance that with the multitudes of manga that I’m reading (both inside and outside of clubs) will be next to impossible, I think. Don’t worry, though, I’ll be sticking with Takagi-san no matter what, though! It’s too much fun reading with you all, and it’s a light enough read to not be a problem!

Just a small reminder, however; my significant other is going to be here for the next couple of weeks, so I’ll likely be less participatory in discussions, but I’ll still be reading along!

Does anybody have any fun holiday plans? I hope you all have a wonderful holiday this weekend if you celebrate one, and even if you don’t, I hope you have a fantastic weekend regardless!

• I will catch up later!

0 voters

5 Likes

メリークリスマス! :santa:

I’m taking advantage of some free time between events to sneak some reading in (got to read this chapter and both of Ayumu’s). Thankfully there was nothing in the chapter that really affected comprehension of the actual text, so it’s a quick (and super cute) read this week!

I do actually have a couple of questions, though!

Pg. 7

When Takagi says:

じゃあやっぱり勝負しないでおこっかな。

I understand the meaning to be, roughly, “Well then, let’s not do a match after all.”

But I’m not really certain what that おこ is. Is it some form of ておく attached to the しないで? Why would it need to have a small つ between it and the かな? Or is it attached to the かな in some fashion and I’m barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Edit: Other idea is it’s related to 起こる somehow? Since that means “to occur,” maybe the interpretation would be better worded as:

“Well then, let’s not have a match occur, I think.”

I still am not sure why it would have to have a small つ in that case, though, since it’s usually just the simple form of the verb that attaches to かな, right? (Also, I know かな is really closer to “I wonder,” but since it can also be used to express an opinion, and I think that’s what’s hapenning here, I used the closest equivalent English phrase that would fit.)

Pg. 13

This is another case of just curiosity on reading certain symbols (and it seems it’s always related to numbers when I have these. :stuck_out_tongue: ).

How does one vocalize the 1~3?

In English, we would of course say, “1 to 3”, but I’m not sure how that might be read in Japanese.

As for story comments...

I’m reading on my tablet and posting from my phone, so no standout panels to post (though I would have some if I were at the computer!), but I have to say, our little miss Takagi is getting more and more assertive, isn’t she? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes