Spy x Family (Intermediate Book Club)

This book was read as part of the intermediate book club. There is an offshoot club for the remaining volumes here.

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

Welcome to Spy x Family

If you want to take part, just buy the book and join in the discussion! We also recommend setting this thread to ‘watching’ so that you get notified when the discussion threads are posted.

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the Nomination Post and read the first chapter for free on bookwalker - remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out though!

Where to buy

Physical: Amazon | CD Japan
Digital: Kindle | Bookwalker

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter End Page Page Count
Wk 1 Jun 18th Mission : 1 Part 1 32 (Anya sleeping) 32
Wk 2 Jun 25th Mission : 1 Part 2 - 39
Wk 3 Jul 2nd Mission : 2 - 56
Wk 4 Jul 9th Mission : 3 & 4 - 54
Wk 5 Jul 16th Mission : 5 - 29

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read Spy x Family with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No
0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback
0 voters
13 Likes

I hope you guys are all excited! Going over the chapters the later ones are a bit short, maybe to short for this book club. One way to combat this would be to combine chapter 3 & 4 into one week, let me know what you all think!

6 Likes

I was planning on reading Spy X Family, personally. :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

I was about to point that out to :smile:

Regarding the schedule: I’ve heard that the first chapter is on the tough side, so maybe it’s better to split the first chapter and combine the later chapters?

9 Likes

I don’t know what you mean :eyes:

8 Likes

Agreed. The page count for week 1 could also have an intimidating effect on Beginner Book Club people considering to make the jump.

6 Likes

This is the first book club on the forum that I’m planning to join, and it’s perfect because I just picked the book up on my own when I came across it in the shop a few weeks ago. I’m not totally sure what my level is compared to everyone else though, because I haven’t done the book club thing here before. But I’m excited to try it out, looking forward to reading along with everyone!

9 Likes

I haven’t looked into the Manga yet but just looking at the page numbers for the chapters I would also lean towards splitting chapter 1 and combining chapters 3+4, so that we get a bit of a ramp-up and then stay at the same level (page-wise) basically.

4 Likes

When I read it myself I split up the first two chapters in two, then read the rest as normal. That said that worked out just as well as other volumes, taking about a week.

At the very least I would split the first chapter, leave the second and third chapter as is and you could combine the last two if needed.

7 Likes

I also considered that, but what I’d like about a “heavier” previous week and a “lighter” last week is that you stay at the same workload during the “core” and then you can get the last week completed quickly and are able to get the accomplishment of completion easy and early (basically like going downhill all the time), whereas when the penultimate week is lighter, then the last week might feel like “the last mountain at the end of the race”, if that makes sense…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t split the shorter chapters; but it depends on fellow readers, actually.

Also, if 3+4 is combined, what about 5.

2 Likes

Yay, excited to join y’all for my first intermediate book club! The anime has been so much fun, I’m excited to be going with the manga as a group.

Since this is only my second book club, I notice we’re not planning on doing a read aloud, is that correct?

6 Likes

Looking at all the arguments I have changed the schedule have a slower start (chapter 1 is split), then we ramp up and finish with the small chapter 5. Since the author really does not seem to like page numbers I have added the “key visual” for the seperation between week 1 & 2, I hope that helps.

15 Likes

I’m going to be a glutton for punishment and take part in this. I’ve really enjoyed the anime so far, being able to read through it would be quite nice.

6 Likes

I am very excited ! I started the anime and loved it (won’t be able to finish as it is not free on Crunchyroll…). So reading this will be a lot of fun :slight_smile:
Definitely joining this one !!!

5 Likes

Is the anime available on Netflix somewhere? Or anywhere else?

2 Likes

It’s on Netflix for a few countries, including Japan. With English subs, if necessary. I watch it with a VPN.

5 Likes

@RedEight Happy Birthday xD

2 Likes

Hmm well I’m not sure I’m up to the intermediate book club but just bought a copy from Kinokuniya. Which I guess changes my vote in both polls.

6 Likes

Not the last copy, I hope. I’m planning to drop by on Sunday. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes