Spy x Family Volume 2 Discussion

Welcome to Volume 2 of Spy x Family!

Unless we have a large number of posts I plan to keep one thread per volume, with a weekly post checking participation etc.

|Home Thread| Spy x Family Offshoot

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 20th August Mission 6 7-32 25
Week 2 27th August Mission 7 33-58 26
Week 3 3rd September Mission 8 59-86 28
Week 4 10th September Mission 9 87-111 25
Week 5 17th September Mission 10 111-128 17
Week 6 24th September Mission 11 129-160 31
Week 7 1st October Extra Mission: 1 161-193 33

Vocabulary

Iā€™ve decided for now, as discussed below, to use the original book cub vocab sheet and keep adding to this. Not sure if this will work or not but will try to post the link here!

Spy x Family vocab sheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questionsā€“itā€™s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent 惍ć‚æ惐惬. If youā€™re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current weekā€™s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I donā€™t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current weekā€™s reading (including trigger warnings that havenā€™t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the ā€œHide Detailsā€ or ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ options. The text which says ā€œThis text will be hiddenā€ should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of ā€œHide Detailsā€, the section in the brackets that is labelled ā€œSummaryā€ can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=ā€Chapter 1, Pg. 1ā€]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the ā€œHide Detailsā€ option.

The ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the ā€œBlur Spoilerā€ option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasnā€™t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select ā€œin this topicā€. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! Itā€™s fun, and itā€™s what keeps these book clubs lively! Thereā€™s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, thereā€™s a very good chance it has crossed somebody elseā€™s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example:
Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• Iā€™m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • Iā€™m reading this book after the club has finished
  • Iā€™m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have read this part.ā€

Donā€™t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

5 Likes

Thanks for setting this up!

Any reason not to continue using the vocab sheet started in the volume 1 club? Feel free to :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would make sense I think! Is it easy to keep adding to or will it end up too difficult to navigate? Just thinking ahead with multiple volumes.

1 Like

The Haikyuu club is my only other point of reference, but weā€™ve been going for nine volumes on one spreadsheet. At a certain point, it made sense to swap the order of the sheets so that the newest chapter was at the front and the older chapters fell off the side. That way people didnā€™t have to scroll forever to update the vocab list for the current chapter.

Hereā€™s a screenshot of what I mean

Edit: Oh, we also color-code the tabs based on the volume. So when youā€™re scrolling through them you can see a distinction of which chapters were in each volume.

1 Like

Reading Mission 7 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along
  • Iā€™m still reading the book but I havenā€™t reached this part yet

0 voters

*If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have finished this partā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll have a bit more time to clean up the posts/ actually post something/ add vocab this week. Though tomorrow and Wednesday are starting to look busy.

About the vocabularies, I copied from my vocabulary collection, but edited a little; so page number might not be there. Also, I might not complete the meaning column (fitting simple meanings is hard, and anyone is free look up by themselves). Yomichan is able to check vocabulariesā€™ meaning on editing.

Names are another interesting aspect. Fictional names are based on European things, so it might worth looking up and writing chapter-wise? Also, names are already a spoiler, so name sheets arenā€™t always appropriate, but rather, in-chapter sheets.

Anyway, my another purpose of posting names are sometimes to invoke questions, and being questionable. Vocabularies are different ā€“ something like personal knowledge and lacking thereof.

MISSION 7 comments

Briefing foreshadows what will happen just sometimes soon , huh?

Not sure what 雷(惈惋惈) refers to.

Some other not-sure would be ā€“ ćƒćƒćƒ¼ć‚½ćƒ¼ć‚¹, ćƒćƒ«ćƒćƒ¼ćƒ‹

2 Likes

Possibly Pawpaw sauce (you know, that classic dish?!)

ćƒćƒ«ćƒćƒ¼ćƒ‹ = porcini (as in the mushrooms)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only just realised thereā€™s a colour version of this manga - is anyone else reading that? Iā€™ve just the nblack and white version.

I am reading the digital colour version. I think the coloring is quite nice, though not as great as the other two mangas Iā€™ve read in full colour ( Shadows House and Kuro ). Hereā€™s a sample page from Mission 7:

Colors are a bit duller than for example, Kuro, that has more vibrant colors, used to accentuate more details in the backgorunds, and a more varied pallete I feel:

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a look through the volume 1 colour preview when I realised. I wondered if the dullness of some of the colouring is deliberate - aiming for that 70s/80s spy era feeling? While I donā€™t know exactly when the manga is set, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s around then given the old fashioned home phones I grew up with and lack of mobile phones etc!

1 Like

Reading Mission 8 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

*If youā€™ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select ā€œI have finished this partā€.

By the way, I will probably be late or absent posting the link next week, Iā€™m on a dive live aboard from Wednesday for 10 days! Possible Iā€™ll have occasional signal.

1 Like

Reading Mission 9 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

So I have a question Iā€™ve been waiting a few days to ask!

Apologies, I donā€™t think my spoiler tags are working (think the slow wifi may be the issue?!), but I donā€™t think itā€™s a major plot point.

In the first lesson, the teacher looks a lot like Lloyd, but doesnā€™t act like he knows Anya and she doesnā€™t seem to recognise him. So is that just a coincidence? Since heā€™s obviously in the school at the time.

I think he is just a maths teacher, who is scared of Anya. (Thinking she is a delinquent.) So, itā€™s just a coincidence.

Talking of Lloyd. He was being a janitor just outside the room, at that time.

1 Like

Thanks! Just wanted to check I wasnā€™t misreading it!

Reading Mission 10 this week!

• Iā€™m reading along

0 voters

2 Likes

I have to say, Iā€™m finding some of ćƒ€ćƒŸć‚¢ćƒ³ and his henchmen a bit difficult to understand - I get the gist but not always the exact meaning. Is it just casual kidā€™s talk or a particular dialect?

1 Like

It feels like a dialect, and perhaps many people speak this way.

I guessed sound changes and maybe I understood pretty well.

3 Likes

Iā€™d say itā€™s a mix of kids talk, fancy talk to show theyā€™re high class, and thug talk to show that theyā€™re bullies

itā€™s a pretty weird combination tbh. not sure Iā€™ve seen them all at once beforeā€¦

4 Likes