Spy x Family | Week 4 Discussion

Mission : 3 & 4

Start Date: July 9th
Previous week: Week 3
Next Week: Week 5

Spy x Family Home Thread
Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Me after reading chapter three in one sitting:

“It felt like I looked up every third word, but it wasn’t too bad. I might actually survive the Intermediate Book Club.”

Me after seeing this week is chapters three and four:

“Time to go read the easiest manga I can find.”

13 Likes

tbf I think this is quite a hard read even without this pace. it feels like the hardest thing I’ve read with the intermediate book club

9 Likes

I’m giving it the death note treatment, I read the sentence and if I get it without getting all words I just move on. If I don’t get it I start looking up words until I understand the gist and just move on as well. I guess it’s sort of an extensive reading technique? I just don’t have the patience to look up every word I don’t understand hahaha

9 Likes

That’s sort of how I approach things these days. Although with this one I’m going back over the chapters a second time and looking up stuff I missed.

7 Likes

Read Mission 3 on the way to work. Not the chore the first two chapters were where I had to take a couple days to get through it.

I might read mission 4 on the way home but I really want to watch anime right now xD

4 Likes

I take this approach a lot with reading in that with English, I like action movies but they use a lot of jargon that doesnt have any real meaning or reason to care about what is being said. That’s how I treat spy family, they are on a mission, they say funny things, and some spy jargon and I enjoy it.

4 Likes

Just read Tokyo Revengers. They just say names and make caveman noises inbetween. It is quintessential turn your brain off manga.

4 Likes
Misson 3, Pg. 138 (I think)

Anya is about the only person who tests my patience in reading this, to be honest. :sweat_smile:

The all-hiragana speech coupled with often using incorrect/childish pronunciations and the sometimes-strange grammar gets to me. :laughing:

On that note, the only thing I don’t really have an answer to is the

くびちょんぱ! からだちょんぱ!

I’m not really sure what this ちょんぱ is. It’s probably something obvious that I’m missing because I’m tired, but what do you y’all figure this is?

Edit: To narrow the question down. I get that ちょん is like “chop vigorously”, so I can get the meaning of the sentence. I just don’t get the ぱ at all. Is it the “apiece” meaning? “Chopped apiece”. Feels weird, but that’s my only supposition at this point.

6 Likes

Jisho has this definition:

Though don’t know how it breaks down

8 Likes

Basically just pointing out how their limbs are missing, etc. I kind of got that from the context but Anya is there for comedic relief, not learning Japanese xD

4 Likes

Interestingly, Googling that term (I honestly didn’t think to include 首 as part of the definition. Just assumed that ちょんぱ would be a word on its own) pulls up a type of doll. :laughing:

Ah well. I think I should just accept that I understand what is happening here, even if I don’t get why.

What? You mean I shouldn’t imitate how she speaks? Damn. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all seriousness, yeah, I’m not looking to learn much from her, but just was curious if there was some actual meaning in the words, or if she was being weird again. It seems to be the latter.

6 Likes

大丈夫ます。わくわく。

8 Likes

Finished. Read Mission 4. It was most エルガント!

11 Likes

Having been borderline behind so far, I’ve actually caught up now with the help of a day off. I think the flow of the story helped a lot though it’s still very dialogue-heavy!

6 Likes

Mission 5 is definitely heavier. I feel like watching the anime before helped me kind of relax while reading because I have seen the conversation play out I am not guessing the tone of the scene as much.

6 Likes

Haha this was me too!

6 Likes

Me reading mission 4: wtf is happening here…

8 Likes

I always thought I went to a prestigious elementary school until I realized we didn’t have an ostrich.

10 Likes

It’s all incredibly エレガント.

8 Likes