📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220829 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 12.15% :frog:

As I was reading I slowly came under the impression that none of this made any sense from last time, I thought it was just me not being good at Japanese and thought it’d be best to carry on until it did make sense, but it just kept getting more and more confusing. I checked and found I was somehow in the middle of chapter seven… well done :clap: :clap:

I don’t even know how this happened. Sooo, no percent increase today because I’ve just read a few paragraphs from who knows where. But, reading is reading I guess, at least there’s some shiny new words to add the to pile that I’ll see if I actually remember by the time I reach here properly.
I’ll make doubly sure that I started reading from the right place tomorrow

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

了見「りょうけん」ー Idea; thought; intention
不体裁「ふていさい」ー Bad form/manners; indecency
蒸籠「せいろ」ー Bamboo steamer; steaming basket
博士論文「はくしろんぶん」ー Doctoral thesis/dissertation
沙汰「さた」ー Affair; state; issue; incident
鼻息「はないき」ー Nasal breathing
紫外「しがい」ー Ultraviolet; UV
助太刀「すけだち」ー Assistance/help/backup (in a fight/argument)
艶聞「えんぶん」ー Rumour/talk of love/romance
公平「こうへい」ー Fairness; impartiality; justice

This is so cute and lets me forget about my mistake and makes my day better

20 Likes

August 29th!

Today I read chapter 7 of Orange. I’m really enjoying it, so I’m considering getting the Light Novel version too to read once I finish the manga.
I still struggle a little with the amount of text per page in LNs so maybe reading a familiar story where I’ll already have encountered most of the vocab will help with that :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

21 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 29th:

So sleepy… But 10 pages of 好きっていいなよ have been read regardless. Arghhh I want more stamina. Arghhh I want more time! I also want this one place to call me in for an interview pretty please I’m unemployed after October

I’ve decided to do a GRAMMAR CHALLENGE for September. It’s really just going to be me dedicating around 20 minutes every day for some grammar studies. I figured I’m still too tired for anything that demands more time, but this should be fine.

23 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Aug 29th :sunny:

・ 本好きの下剋上 10 (57% → 67%)

Brain decided I got enough sleep at 4:30, so I spent the early morning reading. Hmm, I feel like I spent less time reading 5% in the morning compared to 5% in the evening? Interesting. But it makes sense - my energy level is calm in the morning and restless in the evening which makes it hard to focus. (Restless leg syndrome except it is my hand compulsively picking at my scalp?)

Maybe that’s what I have to do - sleep early, wake up early (or earlier than I’m already doing), read.

24 Likes

Today I was lazy I just read some texts in the Shin Kanzen Master Reading N1 book and some N1 practice texts I found online.

19 Likes

i had a severe lack of sleep last night/today, which generally makes me fail on mental tasks. my review accuracy on WK crashed so badly that i bailed after a very short session. but for some reason, reading still went quite well. i’m on page 101 currently, almost half-way through. and i read almost 30 pages in the last 30 or so hours.

やが君について

it’s Sayaka’s birthday, she’s turning 20. when Haru finds out, she’s like, whee, you can drink now, and gamble at pachinko, and all the other cool grownup stuff. come over to my place, and i’ll get you some alcohol. because Haru is still only 19, oops, she’s not allowed to drink… (i was at least a little right with thinking she’s a bit of a manic pixie dream girl).

it’s kind of obvious where this is going, but the whole scene almost gets derailed when they discover together that beer is bitter. oops! but like, grown-ups are supposed to like it, so they decide to practice drinking beer.

(i’m in that picture and i don’t like it :sweat_smile: )

and hey, they’ve both had two beers, and it’s lowered their inhibitions a bit, and finally, finally, Haru declares her love for Sayaka.

and that was a satisfying point to conclude my reading for tonight :smiley:

21 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 10

8月29日

• Final Fantasy XIV

Bit of a lazy, check-box day, but still.

22 Likes

I haven’t read it, but as far as I know Overlord is that.
Additionally, I only checked the first volume of the manga adaptation of 転生したらスライムだった件 (it was free for a limited time), but the prologue thing shows the (far?) future of the main character, being called 魔王 IIRC. (The fan service was too much for me so I didn’t go ahead with the series).

Not exactly the prompt, but 蜘蛛ですが、なにか? eventually follows both sides in parallel (from volume 3 or 4? I can’t remember).

11 Likes

2022-08-30T01:10:00Z

I finished となりの怪物(かいぶつ)くん3 today. This volume was where the story finally hit its stride so it was very plot-heavy, I think. I don’t know because I am still continuing my policy of not looking up any words so my understanding of the story in this volume is very vague. There were parts here and there where I understood the words but couldn’t put together the story. Fortunately, there were pictures so I got the gist of what this volume was about. However, there were much, much, much more handwritten bits than in previous volumes and I know that some of the writing was important to plot. Well, anyway, this is the last volume of となりの怪物(かいぶつ)くん that I have so understanding the entire story will have to wait until I’m either more fluent in Japanese or until I’ve bought the whole series in English.

There are still two more days until the challenge is officially over and I am a bit tempted to take a break. Especially since I am in the midst of reading a sci-fi series in English which has caused me to slow down my use of WaniKani. However, this is the first challenge where I’ve actually read without taking a break so I am also inclined to just finish out the challenge with a bang. Well, I’ll see how I feel tomorrow.

Edit:2022-09-01T01:24:00Z

Well, I put WaniKani on vacation mode until I’ve finished reading my series and I finished out the challenge. I read three volumes of manga in two months. That’s a record for me. Slowly but surely, my vocabulary bank is increasing. The pattern of understanding shonen manga more than shojo manga is continuing but that might just be that I have more recent memories of watching the anime for shonen series than for shojo series, I guess. :woman_shrugging:t5:

20 Likes

2022-08-30T01:17:00Z

From the very first volume, in fact. However after volume 5, the protagonist’s side which could be construed as the villain takes over the POVs.

4 Likes

Well, no, the eponymous spider is neutral at first. We are only introduced to 魔王 a few volumes later, and they are enemies at first.

5 Likes

:star2: Home :star2:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険27

82 - 126

So so so so so many great Dio illustrations in this part. I shared them with the same friends from the other day, but we were atemporal this time. This is the section where Dio does some carjacking. For some reason the Senator thought upon meeting Dio, and Dio taking out his two front teeth, that he’d be able to take Dio in a fight because he was wrestling team captain in hs/college??? I didn’t realize that later mid-car chase that Dio throws the Senator at the car Kakyoin and Joseph are in??? Like in the OVA it happens after a train and I don’t recall it in the anime (although that’s probably just my memory). In any case, I didn’t expect it like that lol.

22 Likes

August 29 :blossom: Home Post

I’m apparently incapable of reading at any time that isn’t immediately before bed anymore :joy: so I just made myself read a little 跡を消す for the sake of it before I pass out. Now I’m off!

25 Likes

I didn’t get to read until very late (I’d normally be in bed by now!) so I didn’t read much. Just a handful of pages from 十角館の殺人. The similarities to And Then There Were None are starting to become more apparent! This week’s reading is quite short and so far this chapter is the easiest read so far (it’s back on the island so new new characters, setting is already established, fair amount of dialogue, etc) so I’ll probably be able to finish the reading tomorrow with time to spare for my other books!

…I haven’t touched 火車 in days and I really should get back to it :sweat: It’s definitely the least exciting of the books in my rotation.

Also I’ve started trying to plan out the rest of my reading year. Slight digression into reading goals

Once I finish these three it will be fully fall, and I promised my partner I would read 三体 with him - known in English as The Three Body Problem. He’s going to read it in Chinese which he grew up reading but barely uses anymore and I of course will be reading it in Japanese. It’s sci-fi, which I’ve read precious little of in Japanese, so I expect it to be a challenge.
I also want to finish 糞尿譚 in the fall.
I will of course read whatever the Mystery Book Club picks next unless it’s something I’ve already read.
Stretch goal is also reading 半落ち before the end of the year (ロクヨン was a challenge for me and it’s the same author, but this particular novel has been recommended to me by a couple people).
Anddd I’d like to give 黄金仮面 another try. As I’m reading it as both a paperback and with an audiobook so fast comprehension is a must. Last December was still too hard - maybe this December I can do it?!

I’m curious if anyone else finds themselves planning out their reading weeks/months in advance?

26 Likes

Maybe you can solve this issue by deciding to go to bed at 6 pm or so? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:joy_cat: I’m starting to see a pattern here…

Ooooh please ping me when you get around to it! Might be interested in joining…

Oh oops haha same :sweat_smile:

Yeah absolutely! Especially at times when there are many book clubs because I need to see how everything fits. But also when it comes to thinking about the order in which I should read some other books. Which doesn’t mean that I cannot abandon my plans the next day :grin:

Home Post

Speaking of which, I said that I had finished Flesh&Blood and want to take a break in order to read my other book club books. Well, turns out that Spice&Wolf is quite easy to read, Kafka is also mostly easy to read, and I’m kinda not really in the mood to read TUGUMI right now, so… who cares about plans? Flesh&Blood Vol. 4 here we come :rofl: :roll_eyes:

22 Likes

I guess I am? I’ve had it planned out for a while now that I’m reading JoJo’s Part 1, then Part 3, then Part 5, then Part 7 in that order :thinking: It somewhat resembles the order I bought the volumes in. The original plan was to read 1 vol a week, but currently I typically read 1-2 a week. I’ve been set on this order for about 16 volumes now and I’m towards the end of Part 3. The total volumes I have after this is 26 (2 more in 3, 17 of 5, and 7 of 7) before I have to either buy more volumes or change the order (I have the first 7 of Part 7, not all 24)… I guess depending on my pace I may read the spin-off manga by the original author between 3 and 5 or between 5 and 7. That’d pad me with about 3 more volumes I think.

So if I use that 29 volume number and assume that I’m more likely to hit 2 vol a week consistently… 15ish weeks… Mid December? :smiley:

11 Likes

not plan, exactly. but i’ve got like 9 more volumes (mostly manga, 2 LN) on my pile, and that ought to keep me going for a good while yet. and i’m sure that i’ll have stumbled upon more things i want to read before that pile is done :smiley:

the plan currently is:
finish やが君
4 remaining volumes of ウテナ manga
3 volumes of ユリ熊嵐 manga
2 volumes of ユリ熊嵐 LN

12 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 28

Read a little ビブリア (83% → 86%)

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 29

Read quite a bit of ビブリア and reached the epilogue (86% → 95%). Will probably be done on the next session since I’m pretty sure the epilogue doesn’t last 5% and there might be info on the edition or empty pages or something about the author (?).

22 Likes

Yes, haha!

I came up with this tentative reading plan about a month ago:
  • Now (late 2022):
    • Finish 大海原と大海原 volume 3 (then the 大海原と大海原 video game)
    • 新日本プロレス英語入門
    • 世界が広がる 推し活英語
  • Early 2023: Finish Minna no Nihongo 2, and start Tobira. Reach level 60 in WK.
    • Read the MNN novel
    • Read the Read Real Japanese series
    • Dive into manga in earnest, starting with Flying Witch and Yotsuba&! and then try out some of the literal hundreds of free manga I’ve gotten from Bookwalker
  • Late 2023 or early 2024: Finish Tobira.
    • Start reading 365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑 at the beginning of 2024
    • Pick up some wrestler biographies or other longer form wrestling stuff that I’d been hoping to read. Maybe get a shupro subscription.
    • Try out some regular novels in Japanese
  • ?

This plan leaves out the TJPW translations, which are the bulk of my regular reading (this is why it’s a rather light schedule, all things considered). Hilariously, literally right after I posted this, I got a shupro (週刊プロレス, the most popular pro wrestling magazine in Japan) subscription, about a year ahead of schedule :sweat_smile:.

But I got the subscription because I found out it gave me access to transcripts from the shows (this is super helpful for translating), not to read the actual magazine, which is still a little above my level (well, it’s doable, but it takes a lot of time and work, so it’s a rabbit hole I’m staying away from for now). The magazine itself is still pretty much a stretch goal, though it is often very tempting…

I like planning out my reading in advance because it gives me tangible goals to work toward, as well as something to look forward to in the near future. I also try not to buy books without having a concrete plan for reading them, because I know that’s an easy way to end up accumulating a bunch of stuff that I never end up actually using.

Of course, I often end up breaking my own plan, haha, either by skipping ahead or inserting unplanned books into there. It’ll be interesting to see where I am a year from now, because I’m certainly not where I expected I’d be last year. I never in a million years thought that I’d be actively translating wrestling stuff before I was technically even out of the beginner stage, but, well, sometimes life happens, and sometimes your favorite translator leaves, and you have to learn to adapt.

15 Likes

Today I’ve managed to finish chapter 4 of Tugumi, and then skim read the first 5 pages of this week’s chapter. The good thing is that while I’m hazy on the details, I was able to get the gist without looking anything up for that quick read. Definitely getting faster.

I also properly finished mission 7 of Spy Family. So Tugumi is the only club I’m not up to date with.

I used to try to plan my English reading, but haven’t done that in years. I probably should. I could try it for Japanese, but my reading is currently quite reactive (joining clubs that are starting etc), and I’m fine with that for now.

22 Likes