📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:spiral_calendar: Day 43: August 12th :watermelon: :deciduous_tree:

Little time for reading today. Gotta push book club reading to Saturday.

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 6 (76% ➨ 100%) Getting really close to finishing the series!

23 Likes

:cake: :books: August 12 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café :cake: page 157 → 189 (33 pages)

Guess who just finished their first novel in Japanese?! :tada:

夜カフェ 1 is now fully read (yesterday). First thing with only text (except a couple of pics) I’ve read. (Except for some shorter high-level graded readers but those were a lot shorter, even the two booklet one.)

Not sure i have much more to say about that actually. :joy: The NC volume ended bittersweetly. With a lot of growth for our main characters, but Yamato moving to LA, USA at the end. Also the 夜カフェ went well its first and second time. So not sure what volume two will bring. More growth for Hanabi and Tina is likely, but no Yamato? :sob:

Look forward to joining the book club for the second volume, I’m one week behind, and Loopers and Orange will go before it, but there should be enough week left after that to read two chapters of Night Café 2 I’m sure.

Just think, after next week I’ll probably have to pick a fourth read to fill the remaining space each week. :joy:

34 Likes

:books: :video_game: :thong_sandal: :sunny: August 12

I confess I spent most of my free time today playing vidya (in English with Japanese voice) which may count as listening practice but definitely not as reading. I read less than 1% of ビブリア but at least I did read 4 chapters of 青のフラッグ which is the most chapters of this manga (or posibly any manga) I’ve ever read in one day. It feels like these chapters are getting shorter, but maybe I’m just getting faster?

Congrats!! That’s a huge milestone, and it looks like many more will be coming after it.

23 Likes

I’ve done better last few days. Yesterday I read 4 pages of Tugumi (having managed one page all week!), and today I’m not quite done, but will have read 10-12 pages. This is the most I’ve read in a day of a more difficult book, and I’ll be caught up if I read all 12. Also read a few pages of シャドーハウス - now up to the end of chapter 9.

25 Likes

Super big congratulations on this! I look forward to the day I can accomplish this feat.

7 Likes

Today read Chapter 13 of よつば&! I know that every story needs some conflict, but this chapter made me sad! Miura really bothers me. Why would Ena be friends with such a girl?

(That said, I love Ena’s way of addressing the problem…)

21 Likes

Extremely impressive! Congrats! :grin:

5 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220813 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

吾輩は狸である progress: 3.03% :mouse2:

Wagahai-cat and Kuro-cat talk about catching mice.

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Meowords

寝転ぶ「ねころぶ」ー To lie down; to throw yourself down
自慢話「じまんばなし」ー Bragging; being boastful
突っ張り「つっぱり」ー Support; prop; brace; bar; taut; tightness; stiffness
墻壁「しょうへき」ー Enclosing wall; boundary fence (Also: 障壁)
吶喊「とっかん」ー Battle cry; war cry
石灰「せっかい/いしばい」ー Lime (material (not fruit))
睨む「にらむ」ー To glare at; to scowl at
碌な「ろくな」ー Satisfactory; decent
誤魔化す「ごまかす」ー To deceive; to cheat; to swindle
放蕩「ほうとう」ー Dissipation; prodigality; debauchery
風采「ふうさい」ー Air; appearance

Forms
理窟 = 理屈「りくつ」(Theory; reason; logic)
出逢う = 出会う「であう」(To meet by chance; to encounter)

Replies

Glad to hear that you’re feeling better!

Whooo! This is awesome! Nice going! :tada: :books: :tada:

21 Likes

August 13th!

I read Chapters 7 and 8 of Shadows House today, and really enjoyed both chapters. The story is starting to open up a little bit now, so I’m interested to see where it goes.

I also read the chapter 32 of Mitsuboshi Colors, which was about making a time capsule. Time capsules seem like a lot of fun, I wish I’d made one when I was little.

(Home Post)

Yay! Huge congratulations!
I’m glad to hear you are planning to join the Yoru Cafe Offshoot club too :slight_smile:

21 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

August 13th:

18 pages of 好きっていいなよ. I felt like I understood most of what happened in the first 9 pages, but then they started talking about deep stuff :melting_face: And my brain melted. But it’s ok… I’ll get it eventually. This day feels like it ran away from me. I didn’t get nearly enough done.

On a happier note, my cats are starting to settle into the new apartment, and they’re also sleeping next to each other again :sparkles: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: This is something they used to do when they were kittens, but kind of grew out of? I guess? They’re spending quite a few hours alone while I’m at work, so it warms my heart knowing that they’re keeping each other company.

23 Likes

:cake: :books: August 13 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café (2!) :cake: page 4 → 7 (4 pages)

I had trouble deciding what I wanted to read today; deciding between the three book clubs I am now a part of: Orange, Loopers, or Night Café. In the end, I ended up picking none of them. But what, you say, is that thing I see above that clearly says NC? Well, that was the introduce the characters in 2-3 sentences pages and the “this happened in the last volume” 2-page summery pages.

Basically reading just enough that I could say I read with a clear conscious, while not actually starting chapter 1.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who congratulated me! :bowing_woman: :smiley:

It might not seem like it from my post, but I had to make myself celebrate the victory because it just kinda felt like “been there, done that”. I’ve read (with good comprehension) 13 volumes of manga, 20 if you include my speed read of Alice 19th which I’ve read so many times in English that it didn’t matter that I didn’t understand anything except the simplest things when I read it in Japanese (I remembered well).

I’ve also read the two nyannyan detective books. As well as all Ask graded readers (from level 0-4, all 3 volumes of each).

I guess NC didn’t feel like much of an accomplishment because it was so easy to read. I don’t think I struggled with grammar anywhere, nor do I remember rereading any sentences (because of grammar reasons). Only lacked vocabulary. But that in itself is a victory.

Maybe I’ll get the effort to read a novel accomplished feeling once I take on my first adult (oriented) novel or historical novel (either genre or, you know, old); or maybe Zenitendou will give me that when I go back to that. :sweat_smile: But that is a different kind of victory.

This was my first novel, and all the reading I’ve done up until reading it was what it made it easy. Doesn’t make it any less of an accomplishment.

In my real life, I’ve had drilled into my head that overnight successes rarely (if ever) actually are overnight ones. They’ve usually toiled for years, they might only have come to a lot of people’s attention in a very short timespan, but their work spans a long period of time.

And that is what the reading of my first novel was like. Done after reading many other things that ended up with the first novel I finished easily done. And maybe I finished NC first because it was easy. (After all, I ended up shelving Zenitendou for the time being because I had too many full comprehension reads that required a bunch of effort. And Zenitendou very much does require a lot of my effort because it picks at my grammar knowledge edges.)

So thanks for celebrating this win with me. :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

27 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 7

8月13日
ルーパーズ

Finished chapter 5 :slight_smile: . I’ll read the club thread tomorrow.

Honestly this might be the VN that got me into VNs in general so I’m quite grateful :slight_smile: . I still have Zero Escape waiting but I don’t want to start anything else until I’m done with Chrono Trigger at least. Also having multiple VNs going on sounds a tiny bit daunting for me atm but I’m sure with time one gets used to it! Though if I start with FFXIV again I’m not sure I could commit to everything, so for now I’m only keeping Loopers until I’m more used to it. Reading it with the club makes it even better so I’m happy with that. So far this is the only club that worked for me :smile: .

Medical students take their Anki extremely serious, no joke! When I browse anki related stuff on Reddit a big portion of it comes from people studying medicine, and no wonder, it must work wonders for them. Anki wizards. I wouldn’t be able to commit as heavily to Anki as much as they do though :joy: pure suffering.

:tada: :partying_face: :tada:

Congrats! It’s a good feeling for sure. Trust me, I’ve also read the incredible quantity of literally one book! :joy: I should return to actual novels at some point :eyes: but so many nice games…

26 Likes

August 13 :blossom: Home Post

I ended up having stuff to do today (ew gross :p) so I didn’t get pour my whole existence into finishing バディミッションBOND unfortunately, but I’m on the last investigation :') The end of another era approaches… This investigation time has been really cute though, it’s bringing back all the characters we’ve met in ブロッサム and マイカ over the course of everything and having them interacting and exchanging culture and building friendships and it’s very sweet. I’m very excited to see how it all turns out :eyes:

A bit late but congratulations, that’s really awesome!! :tada: :tada: :tada: Like you said it only felt so easy because of all the hard work you’ve put in to get to this point, and that in itself is something to be proud of! It’s so easy to get caught up in where you’re at literally right now and lose sight of just how much you learned to get there, but like… you read a whole novel in a language you learned from scratch, and you did so comfortably. That’s wild :laughing: So yeah congrats!! Onward and upward :muscle:

Oh big mood, video game syndrome is so real, I still haven’t technically finished a novel :joy: but the VNs!!! (also welcome to the VN club, it’s a nice place to be :grin:)

24 Likes

Home

Not much today, just read ハイキュー!! ch 19-20. The first time Noyassan said カッチョいい, I’d thought he was mispronouncing カッコいい, but then he said it again so I looked it up, and it turns out it is an actual word. It’s a slangy way of saying カッコいい, it seems.

Take-chan’s adorable lol

Some vocab of note:

対象外 (たいしょうがい) [noun] not covered (by); not subject (to)
青アザ (あおアザ) [noun] bruise
衣替え (ころもがえ) [noun, する verb (自)] seasonal change of clothing; changing one’s dress for the season
歴とした (れっきとした) [expression, prenominal] accepted; fully-fledged; clear; respectable
躱す (かわす) [他サ五] to dodge; to evade; to avoid; to sidestep
要 (かなめ) [noun] vital point; cornerstone; keystone.
微塵 (みじん) [の-adj.] not at all; not the slightest. Usually as 微塵も~ない. 微塵 itself means “particle; atom; little piece.”

21 Likes

(home post)

Decided to put my Japanese studying (and reading) on pause during family holiday, there were just too many other languages and it was messing with my brain. :sweat_smile: Back to reading now.

Today I reached chapter 4 of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, where our intrepid adventurers find out they are in alternate-universe baseball-themed Osaka, apparently? The “Republic of Hanshin”, an island country shaped like a tiger. I suspect there’s gonna be a lot of jokes and references going waaay over my head in this series.

EDIT so as not to double-post:
@MissDagger congrats on getting through that first novel! The fact that it felt “easy” just emphasizes how much you’ve accomplished! On to the next one now?

23 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 44: August 13th :sunflower: :butterfly:

spacer:coffee: 夜カフェ Volume 1 (93% ➨ 100%)

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: シャドーハウス Volume 1 (47% ➨ 62%)

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 7 (89% ➨ 100%)

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 7 (0% ➨ 21%)

Must be contagious, as I managed to do the same today =D

(Seeing you finish it pushed me to do the same!)

With my first-completed novel down, I’m not yet sure what I’ll pick up next. (Not planning to continue the series.) For now, I’ll probably stick with manga.

30 Likes

Bit late to the party, but big congrats on finishing your first novel! :tada: :cake: :sparkles:

See? I told you that reading those final graded readers was no small feat. :wink:

That will not go away so quickly, I’m afraid :sweat_smile:

If you are interested in suggestions, I might have some up my sleeve for you :grin:

13 Likes

And so did I.

And indeed, I was promised some 結婚 and there’s no 結婚. Where’s the 幸せな結婚 at? :baka:

It was a very nice read, both for the good times and the tense times, though. I just wish 美世 was a more assertive character when she met 直. Him: “you don’t blame the rock if you stumble and hurt yourself”. What I wish she had replied: “you’re right! We just get rid of the frigging rock! Good bye now.” *puts him in a coma*. Oh well, it’s just my frustration talking. She is a good character anyway.

11 Likes

Home Post

This past week was devoted almost exclusively to Flesh&Blood vol. 2, and today I finished it :tada: It was much more action-packed than the first volume which mainly built the scenery and dumped loads of British medieval history onto the reader. (But as retaliation, this time we get a short glimpse into Japanese medieval history :grin:)
We also had our first romantic episode and a few fights, so things are definitely picking up speed. Of course we get some cheesy / cringey parts as well, but so far it’s manageable.

Plans going forward: Tomorrow I should finish 海辺のカフカ(上)and then I’d like to proceed to Flesh&Blood vol. 3 in the hope to finish that before the 狼と香辛料 book club starts in two weeks. (Which I will then read in parallel with 海辺のカフカ(下)and TUGUMI.)

27 Likes

Today was good for reading despite being a work day. Mainly due to lack of work.

I read chapter 2 of 夜カフェ 2 at work. Also read 1-2 pages of Tugumi. And a bit of the prefectures book. Overall quite successful for what could have been a busy day.

26 Likes