📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2022 🏖 ☀

:green_heart: Home :green_heart:

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険20

145 - 178

I was actually excited for Oingo Boingo :smiling_face_with_tear: Actually excited

Well, because of the structure, showing events as if they’re in a children’s book, the writing style is completely different and a pain in the ass to read :sob:

I’ll get over it, but I don’t have to like it. Hopefully the shenanigans are still enjoyable.

Also, I had wanted to finish off the volume last night, but I fell asleep (holding my aircon remote to boot lmao). Just about 20 pages left, so I’ll probably try to start the next volume tomorrow as well. :triumph:

23 Likes

Thank you! Those discussions and vocab lists are just what I needed. I only have volume 1 so I may not be able to join the main group, but I might still check it out.

4 Likes

Home post

REDC
Week 4

July 19
Monster Hunter World

Just another regular MHW day.

Also today I happened to check, like I do from time to time, any updates from the developer of the phone app Kanji Study, which I love and have used heavily on and off since so many years ago. I had been growing slightly disappointed over time because even though the app is amazing and has helped me tremendously, I haven’t used it in a long time because it lacks the one feature I miss the most now that I have a huge number of kanji to review: SRS. Well, I was extremely happy to know today that they’re starting to work on the SRS and it’s going well :sob: . I’ve been waiting years for this one thing, which is funny to say because the development of the app has been going strong all this time regardless. If the SRS includes handwriting (which is what I use in the app almost exclusively) and I don’t think why it should not include it, that would be amazing.

23 Likes

Home

Today was another low-energy day for me, so I just read a little of 2.43, since my hyperfixation makes it feel like it takes less energy to engage with, and started rewatching the anime again, with ENG subs since trying to watch with none would take too much energy rn.

I read 2 pages, leaving off on pg 151.

I watched 3 eps of the anime, though I wasn’t particularly trying to listen like I generally do these day. But I did hear Itoko telling Yuni which kanji the name of Chika’s former middle school is spelled with (before reading the LN, I’d always wondered how he knew how to spell it). And, I heard that Chika did tell Yuni to draw 人 on his palm and swallow it when he was nervous during the second match in ep 2, just like in the novel! That’s a completely different feel than him just telling him, “Well, figure out a way to calm down,” in the subs. He actually tries to help him, even if he doesn’t really know how, doesn’t just leave him out to dry. The subs make him seem uncaring, when that’s just not true at all. Awkward, and not sure how to deal with people, yes, but uncaring, no. (He’s autistic, not a robot.)

Some vocab of note:

健闘 (けんとう) [noun, する verb (自)] fighting bravely; strenuous efforts
荷が重い (にがおもい) [expression, い-adj.] to have a lot on one’s shoulders; to bear a lot of responsibility
重荷 (おもに) [noun] load; heavy burden; encumbrance; heavy freight; heavy responsibility. (Not encountered today, but recently, I just never looked it up. Was pretty much on the money though.)

24 Likes

July 19 :blossom: Home Post

バディミッションBOND again! More new plot things are happening :eyes: There’s still so much I don’t know though lmao, all I’m doing is getting more questions!! It’s a great time as always though, I’m anxious to find out more :eyes:

BOND stuff!!

Ninja village!! I’m enjoying it a lot, all the vibes and culture and everything are really cool. There’s a lot of archaic-type speech too which is pretty cool, especially since I really haven’t had any problems understanding it so yay! But yeah new characters:

I do not trust this man for anything :joy: I like him, don’t get me wrong, but oh boy am I suspicious of his whole deal. Like clearly there’s more to the story of what happened to his dad, the previous king, than just モクマ supposedly killing him. I’m not convinced モクマ did any such thing, and even if he did it’s clearly more complicated than that. I think it’s more likely he’s been misled or he’s covering for someone else. Honestly I feel like フウガ did it :joy: He’s just too nice, and he’s in power now that his dad’s dead? Hmmm :eyes: He might be involved in whatever the DISCARD connection is too, who knows :man_shrugging:

But look at ルーク being an absolute sweetheart!

He’s so cute :') okay it’s kinda crackpot theory time: I’m not quite sure what’s going on with ルーク and スイ. The easy answer is that she’s the love interest and they’re kinda generally presenting their relationship but… I’m not so sure? Part of me thinks he’s her brother somehow :joy: I don’t know how to make it fully work really, but there are vibes that I can’t quite shake. ルーク’s whole childhood situation is vague at best, and it’s been specifically emphasized how much a lot of their tastes and interests overlap, and ルーク keeps having oddly close interactions with not just スイ, but her dad, and now her grandma, and just?? They did say イズミ had a son before スイ who didn’t make it, but like… what if he did somehow? Alternatively, that situation seems like the sort of thing that might drive people to ethically questionable research :eyes: Anyway I’m probably way overthinking all of it but バディミッションBOND’s certainly done wild stuff before :man_shrugging:

Anyway enough about all that :joy: please look at アーロン:

I went absolutely wild during this whole scene lmao, all the villagers were talking about how the monkey attacks literally everyone, how has this outsider done this?? Actual disney princess アーロン, incredible :laughing:

Also…

It’s time to have feeling about モクマ huh, there’s a lot :sweat_smile: but he’s so cute and small there! He deserves good things only :muscle:

(Man so much is going on that I almost forgot about チェズレイ basically killing his dad?? And about his dad watching him try to save his mom and doing absolutely nothing about it? That whole situation was already so messed up, I really didn’t think it could get worse :sweat_smile: No wonder チェズレイ is so twisted huh… someone give him a hug please)

Ooooh yay definitely recommend!! Obviously :joy: not like I’ve been able to shut up about it ever lmao, but based on things you’ve talked about enjoying I’d certainly think you’d like it!

24 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 19: July 19th :desert_island: :coconut:

spacer:deciduous_tree: ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん Volume 2 (77% ➨ 82%)

spacer:rabbit2: ご注文はうさぎですか? Complete Blend Volume 1 (49% ➨ 50%)

spacer:girl: からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 5 (0% ➨ 10%)

spacer:male_detective:t3: SPY×FAMILY Volume 1 (99% ➨ 100%)

spacer:broom: ふらいんぐうぃっち Volume 11 (36% ➨ 51%)

spacer:ribbon: ふだつきのキョーコちゃん Volume 4 (19% ➨ 38%)

26 Likes
Jul
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Aug
01 02 03 04 05 06 07
08 09 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

This is the first challenge I’ve joined! I started a bit late but I ordered some manga and just got them on Monday so I’ve started a habit of reading everyday.
I’ll be reading:
レンタルおにいちゃん 1 and シャドーハウス 1
Maybe start something else too

30 Likes

Mid-July update! What have I been reading this month?

デボラ、眠っているのか? 35% → 42% (26 pages)

海辺のカフカ 49% → 64% (72 pages)

ifの悲劇 41% → 100% (142 pages)

告白 0% → 100% (320 pages)

笑わない数学者 0% → 69% (336 pages)

orange Vol. 1 25% → 44% (69 pages)

進撃の巨人 Vol. 1 0% → 100% (192 pages)

Calendar for novels only:

I also started tracking my reading time on July 5th, so I have pretty reading statistics to show for!

27 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: :books: pygospa’s Home Post :books: :beach_umbrella: :sunny:

Hello everyone – I’m just a couple of days on this forum and already I am participating in my very first challenge here. Pew, quite some work to figure out how this works, but I think I’ve got this, now. It will be a hard one as I am a WaniKani Lvl 3 and worked through chapters 1 and 2 of げんき1 a while ago (need to re-read those, I fear), so don’t expect much from me. My goal is to make it a habit to think about reading Japanese every day – hopefully some day I’ll be reading whole books and participating in the book clubs, but for now I am content with just getting into the habit and if it’s just one sentence for which I consciously sat down to read it.

Calendar checklist

七月
暦週
26 01 :white_medium_square: 02 :white_medium_square: 03 :white_medium_square:
27 04 :white_medium_square: 05 :white_medium_square: 06 :white_medium_square: 07 :white_medium_square: 08 :white_medium_square: 09 :white_medium_square: 10 :white_medium_square:
28 11 :white_medium_square: 12 :white_medium_square: 13 :white_medium_square: 14 :white_medium_square: 15 :white_medium_square: 16 :white_medium_square: 17 :white_medium_square:
29 18 :white_medium_square: 19 20 21 22 23 24
30 25 26 27 28 29 30
八月
暦週
31 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
32 08 09 10 11 12 13 14
33 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
34 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
35 29 30 31

Activity log
Yesterday (2022-07-19T20:00:00Z), after asking here and reading around on the other topics, I stumbled upon Graded Readers and found this link, where I read the sample page: How to start tadoku – にほんごたどく – not much but we all get to start somewhere, no? I researched on getting them through eBay or Amazon, but decided to postpone this for next week.

But today (2022-07-20T06:00:00Z) I found this helpful link: Graded Readers and Parallel Texts "Book Club" which also contains PDF versions of some graded readers material; while I rather have physical books I love this material and it is actually quite good, once you understand how they work. Took me a while to get that it was talking about the color 青 on the first pages (I actually fed google translate with it), and I was irritated to learn that this actually has two meaning :flushed: 青い空 and 青りんご this just explodes my mind :exploding_head: I read the the first “chapter”, i.e. pages 1-12.

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming and see you in the next updates :slight_smile:

30 Likes

Finished Spy Family properly today! First book I’ve read with the intermediate club, went better than I expected.

I also read a page (edit: 2 pages) of the prefectures book. Things are quite busy with packing/work/life admin.

27 Likes

More reading before work. A little over halfway through volume 3 of 少女革命ウテナ now. The manga is deviating from the anime quite a bit, mainly in that the story lines / relationships are vastly simplified down into the essential components only. Given there’s only 2 volumes after this I really wonder what kind of resolution there will be, although I think there is a follow-up series.

For anyone curious about language difficulty, there is an increase in unusual grammar from the 2nd volume on, but the sentences are still quite short and the choices are highly stylistic. It’s nothing I’d consider regular everyday grammar so if you can get the meaning you can move on as you’re unlikely to encounter it again soon.

23 Likes

:house:
20th of July

Only read page 116 of かがみの孤城 today. I realised not getting enough sleep takes a big toll on my motivation, which makes me procrastinate even more than usual, and then I go to bed late and wake up early, and the cycle starts over and over again…

At 9pm I had a trial (online) tutor session for Japanese conversation practice with my Korean friend and her tutor, who can only speak Korean and Japanese. I found it hard to understand a lot of times (partly due to the bad reception, partly to simply not knowing the words) and it was difficult to express myself, but I’m sure if I continue this my speaking ability will improve fast!
After that I did literally nothing. :neutral_face: I didn’t even do WK reviews, or read かがみの孤城 until ten minutes ago, which was what I stayed up for. It’s nearly midnight and I have to wake up at 6am the next morning… hopefully I can catch up on sleep (and reading!) tomorrow night lol.

26 Likes

:books: :video_game: :shallow_pan_of_food: :sunny: July 19

I could finally set up the Loopers VN with textractor and read the prologue for the club. I wasn’t sure what to expect but it went by pretty quickly.

Then I (re)read chapter 4 of 青のフラッグ. I’m hoping to finish re-reading this volume in the next session so I can finally start with new content in Vol. 2.

I also reaaaally want to finally get started with ビブリア.

22 Likes

more cute picture books about animals
-いきものいろいろ
-あ、むしさん
-かさ さしてあげるね (0.1.2.えほん)

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Beach Resort: Date 20220720 :beach_umbrella: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll of 斜交層理 :rock:

Random article - didn’t even know what cross-bedding was in English, there’s also lots of geology-specific words here that I had to look up that I don’t think I’ll encounter again any time soon (but you never know)

:beach_umbrella: Japanese found in the sand :beach_umbrella:

Learnthings

斜交層理「しゃこうそうり」ー Cross-bedding
堆積「たいせき」ー Accumulation; pile; sedimentation
葉理「ようり」ー Lamination/lamina
具体的「ぐたいてき」ー Definite; specific; concrete
単層「たんそう」ー Monolayer; single layer; single story
砕屑物「さいせつぶつ」ー Detritus (in geology); clastic material
流速「りゅうそく」ー Speed of moving fluid; flow velocity
水平「すいへい」ー Horizontal; level; even

22 Likes

:sunny: :beach_umbrella: Memoria’s Summer Readin’ :beach: :sunny:

Day 20:

15 pages of ハピネス volume threeeee. I’m almost done… need to find more reading material…

24 Likes

Today read 9 pages of よつばと! in order to note 10+ new words/expressions. That said, not all of them are “new,” per se; I find myself recognizing words without remembering them (like かしら), or looking words up and realizing I’ve encountered them before (like ようじ in hiragana, which I recognized when I saw the kanji [用事] in the dictionary), which is to be expected but means that my lists sometimes annoy me, as they remind me of the things I’m not absorbing.

Some newish things

いいか: listen!/remember!
について: about, regarding
かも: may be, possibly
用事 (ようじ): tasks, things to do
疾走 (しっそう): sprint, dash
たすけて!: Help!
捕まえる (つかまえる): to catch, to capture
ギャーギャー: squawking, squealing
かしら: I wonder/do you think?

21 Likes

:cake: :books: July 20 :books: :cake:
(home post)

Night Café :cake: page 45 → 54 (10 pages)

I thought for the longest time today that I might read two chapters, but I ended up doing other things in the afternoon. I’m having some vacation time right now, and I’m enjoying it. ^^

I’m so glad chapter 4 went well for Hanabi. I can’t imagine her anxiety leading up to the conversation with her parents.

I like how easily I’m reading this novel (some call it a light novel, but from what I understand something is only a light novel if it is called such by the publisher and I didn’t see that on book buying pages? Light novel vs novel distinctions seems to be non-existent from reading discussions about it here on the forum; but I could also have missed it?).

There have been maybe a couple of sentence across 4 chapters that have had me scratching my head a bit, but since I’m not reading this full comprehension move, I tend to move on pretty quick if a couple of rereads doesn’t clear it up. Also, so far I’ve not been completely confused, so context around it have always made it pretty clear what is going on.

24 Likes

Yes, but personally I (and other people) pretty tightly associate certain tropes and writing styles with light novels. Two books I’ve read that I went “hmm… Was this actually a light novel?” I went and checked the reviews and saw Japanese people saying the same thing. :person_shrugging: If it’s not “officially” a light novel I call it light novel-ish to get around it.

14 Likes

I can see that. Personally, I don’t have any experience with light novels so I wouldn’t know what the common tropes are. (Nor do I have experience with Japanese novels…)

So it is due to tropes/writing style that people have called 夜カフェ a light novel.

However, for me personally, this would be my first novel (ニャンニャン探偵団 is half picture, half text, so 絵本 I guess?), so in that way it benefits me to call it a novel. xD

Although I guess I could say the same for calling it a light novel since it would be my first there too, but novel comes with a bit more prestige, doesn’t it? xD

7 Likes