進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

I also decided to start reading to have more context, and I just finished volume 1!
I didn’t realize you were so far into the manga already, almost done! And then on to volume 2 :wink:

5 Likes

Hey, sorry for replying late you and everyone who answered my last question! Thanks for the link, gonna check it asap :grin:

Got it, so basically the info that are being produced

Clear.

2 Likes

Very glad to hear that! With you, I think we’re reading the series in 4 people! This post is beginning to look like a book club :smile:

Anyway…
One of you: “yesterday I woke up like it, so I read vol. 1 while I was waiting for the bus”
Me: “Maybe I can make it in 45 days”

5 Likes

Well, I don’t think it’s fair to compare yourself to someone who has been studying for over seven years now :smiley: just keep going and you’ll get there :wink:

5 Likes

I had a look at the vocab sheet and just wanted to mention some typos I found:

Chapter 3 Line 26 English: gullible

Chapter 3 Line 73 English: esprit de corps

Chapter 3 Line 92 Reading たんのう

Chapter 3 Line 136 Reading ごうかく

Chapter 4 Line 30 Reading あっしゅく

Chapter 4 Line 105 Kanji 治まる (the okurigana needs to include ま)

Chapter 4 Line 124 English: where did you find „you (plural)“? I would just leave it at „each; every“

Chapter 4 Line 141+142 I would combine both into ツケを払う „to pay a bill“, but that’s just a preference of mine :slight_smile:

Chapter 4 Line 161 reading すじがき

Chapter 4 Line 312 reading ながめる

5 Likes

:rofl:

Well, don’t know if this comforts you or not, but I took a peek at Myria’s statistics and it took her 1.5 hours to read that volume, so that would be one hell of a delayed bus :grin:

7 Likes

Of course, and I also want to say in my favor that making the vocab sheets took some time :joy::lying_face:

Thanks a lot for this, I was hoping for someone experienced to give it a check and highlight the typos, awesome! I’m going to correct them ASAP when I have a bit of rest from work

Honestly, I didn’t even think this was possible :flushed:

3 Likes

Hey there everyone, I survived first week after moving and now J’m back on reading AoT, I count on finishing volume 1 today!

One thing, checking again the last vocab sheet elements I made, I noticed I didn’t add the meaning of the word かかれ (かかる), what does that mean?

3 Likes

In the German version it’s “attack!”. I would say it’s “shoot!” or “deploy!”. Unfortunately, つく and かかる are those whatever words that could mean a ton of things. Here the context is a little insufficient anyway.

1 Like

Which verb do you think it could be?
Looking at the different verbs jisho provides for the kana かかる I couldn’t find anything meaning “to shoot” or “to deploy” (even just vaguely)

I legit have no clue. :joy:
The only thing I can say it’s not “to scatter/disperse” as that would be ちれ (散れ) as is used in military. And after they’re shooting their lines to I guess immobilize the titan?
“attack” is also not accurate, because that’s one thing かかる for sure does not mean.

1 Like

Hmm got it. Sounds like the cause of asking to a native

1 Like

外の世界の本だって!?それっていけない物なんだろう!?
“You said, a book of the outside world!? That’s impossible, isn’t it!? (It can’t be!)”

I’m not sure about the いけない物, how is it literally translated?

Edit, due to the continuation "憲兵団に捕まっちまうぞ!? I’d now say that it means more something like a “shouldn’t/mustn’t (do) thing”

1 Like

Are you sure? かかってこい is commonly used, meaning „come at me!“, and jisho also has „to come at“ as definition 9 of かかる (I know, as an auxiliary verb). But I don’t think „attack“ is wrong, as it captures the sense/context the word is used in.

I checked all 103 definitions of 大辞林 and found:
相手にして向かっていく。「やる気か。さあどこからでも—・ってこい」「…に食って—・る」「襲い—・る」

The first example has かかってこい, so it can be used as non-auxiliary as well.

4 Likes

But that’s the thing. It doesn’t literally mean “attack”. It means “go” or something similar.

Good point bringing up かかってこい. I completely forgot about that. So it’s like more colloquial.

2 Likes

Yeah, I probably wouldn’t translate it as „attack“ in any other context either. In German it’s probably something like „auf jemanden losgehen“/„to come at somebody“ in English. But that’s an expression not really used in the imperative form. In any situation where it‘s meant as a command, the only feasible expression used in the same context would be „Attacke!“ / „attack!“
I‘m fine with having it like
かかれ (imperative) = attack! (imperative)
かかる = come at somebody/charge at somebody

I guess „charge!“ could be a viable translation for かかれ as well :thinking:

3 Likes

Quoting this again

And asking another one

この本によるとこの世界の大半は「海」っていう水で覆われているんだって

Not sure what is the で after 水, and what is exactly だって doing at the end

The で is indicating means – with 覆う the thing doing the covering is で-marked, eg 口を手で覆う to put one’s hand over one’s mouth.

The だって is quotative – it means “(the book) says ~”. Equivalent to だという(ことだ).

5 Likes

Yes, you have the sense right, though it’s more like “forbidden/prohibited object” – the thing you mustn’t do is possess it.

4 Likes

All clear, thanks!