Neko Atsume Japanese Questions

So, right now I am playing Neko Atsume in Japanese, and I made too many threads when asking questions, so this is the last one, and I will post all my questions here. Also here are the previous threads for your viewing pleasure. Also, feel free to ask your Neko Atsume questions here as well.

8 Likes

Context:
お徳用かりかり
贅沢品ではないけれど
味も大きさもまぁ合格

Question:
What verb is “ではないけれど”? There are a few in jisho that seem to work, but I’m not sure

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/じゃない-janai-ではない-dewa-nai-meaning/

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/けれども-keredo-mo-meaning/

Do you have a textbook or anything? ではない and such should be explained in any of them

4 Likes

I do, and I slightly remember it, I’m just referring more to the いけれど part

贅沢品 _ ではない _ けれど

There isn’t a いけれど part. It’s ではない and then けれど, both grammar points linked above ^

5 Likes

Looks like @QuackingShoe got it sorted but you can also just think of it in a simpler form:

じゃないけど

The meaning is the same but the level of formality is lower.

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m so sorry, thank you for pointing that out

1 Like

Context:
おつかれさまでした!

これで準備は万端です!

ねこたちがやってくるまでに

少し時間がかかります

My Translation:
You finished! That was all the set up!
The cats will take a little bit of time to come around.

Question:

1. Which meaning does かかる take on here, as when I looked it up on jisho, there were a lot of definitions, and a few possible ones look like it might be it, but I could be mistranslating the sentence, so I’m not sure
  2. If I mistranslated it, which will probably will help me to understand my first question, where did I mistranslate it? Is there a certain grammar point I missed that changes the meaning from what I think it means?

Tip: This 掛かる is most likely the かかる in the context sentences.

You got it pretty much right! It’s the first meaning of かかる on jisho - to take (as in use up/require) a resource (like time in this case). Which is the one you used in the translation. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

By the way, this isn’t an answer to your question but a tip for hunting down things, but some words (I’m thinking especially or かかる/かける and あたる) have so many uses and definitions that when trying to figure out a use, searching for a whole phrase is probably better. Like googling “時間がかかる 意味” or whatever.

Like in my monolingual dictionary, 掛かる has 19 entries, some of which have up to 8 sub entries, for probably something like 50 or 60 definitions. Even when you already know what definition you’re looking for its still hard to find it!

2 Likes

Context:
ねこたちがやってくるまでに
少し時間がかかります。
ホームキー等でアプリを
一時停止終了させて
しばらく時間を置いてから
アプリを起動してみてください

My bad translation:
Things like the home key can allow you to pause and close the app for a while, please try to start up the app

Questions:

1. What is the purpose of the bolded か there? Does it work with など in listing the stuff?
  2. How do I translate this? What did I mess up on?
  3. The から, this goes with the translation, as I’m not really sure it’s function here because I don’t necessarily understand what’s being said. But maybe I did better than I realize

Edit: I put in 直いて instead of 置いて, it’s fixed though

1 Like
  1. The か here is like “or”. など would be “things like”

You can pause OR close the app

1. You’re pretty close. :smiley::+1:

2. The から means after in this case.

しばらく時間を直いて から
After it’s been a little while

アプリを起動してみてください
You should see the app starting up

Any idea what 直いて is? I can’t figure out how to read it.

Edit: ah, I guess 時間を置く is an expression, and 直 was a typo by the OP?

1 Like

It was a typo, thanks for getting that

1 Like

I thought it was 直居て with 直 acting adverbially.

Yeah that makes way more sense. lol

This is more like „please try to start up the app (after it’s been a little while)“

with 〜てみる meaning „try to 〜“

(which is actually what @GenoMerc already wrote in their translation :smiley:)

3 Likes

Context:
今回はチュートリアル中なので
すぐに起動しても大丈夫です!

My translation:
Even though this time because you were in the tutorial, it’s ok to start it up (the app) immediately.

Question: Is this a proper translation, or what needs fixing? (I think this is the last bit of the tutorial…maybe…it looks like it but I can’t trust it~)

I‘m not sure where you got the „even though“ from :smiley: Maybe you mixed up なので and なのに? I’d say change it to „because“ and you’re good to go.

„(Because) we‘re in the tutorial this time, it’s okay to start it up immediately.“

I got it from the ても conjugation

Oh, I see!

That‘s the 〜てもいい „it‘s okay to do“ construction, just with 大丈夫 instead of いい.
„Because it’s still the tutorial, it’s fine even if you start it up again immediately.“

That‘s where I would put it in the English translation.

3 Likes