それでも歩は寄せてくる | Week 3 Discussion ♟

第03-04局

Pages 23-38

Start Date: 24th July
Previous Week: 第02局
Next Week: 第05-06局

Vocabulary List

Please read the guidelines on the first page of the sheet before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).
  • To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Members

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

10 Likes

Read chapter 3 and I have a question about page 28:

Page 28

「一生センパイと将棋を指してたいくらいですよ」
Specifically it’s about the くらい here. So I know that くらい can be used for rough estimates (“about 30” kind of thing) but here I’m not entirely sure how it’s being used. Best guess would be “I only really want to play shogi together with senpai” from the context

9 Likes

I was reading that くらい can also describe the extent of something, so I found a few examples that used たいくらい.
So yea I agree I think it would be like I really (like really) want to continue playing shogi with senpai my whole life.

I think the ‘whole life’ bit is why she thought it was like a proposal right? :joy:

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/くらい-kurai-ぐらい-gurai-meaning/

「うれしくて叫びたいくらい!」-> I feel so happy that I almost shouted.
(this one is from maggiesensei but it wouldnt let me embed a link :frowning_face:)

10 Likes

Hope you all don’t mind me just writing out my thoughts on my reading! No specific questions at this moment, but overall, pretty good week for me. There are still certain exchanges I don’t get very much and definitely details littering the whole thing that I can’t fully figure out, but through some combination of hitting the grammar study harder and practicing reading a lot, it’s feeling much more relaxed and easy. It’s crazy how much better I am at picking the sentences apart and figuring out how to look up what I need to than I was 2 weeks ago. Now my issue with this particular manga, at least for this chapter, is a lack of word knowledge above all else. Did you all know there are a lot of words in Japanese? Like way more than 10, it turns out. But this is pretty much where I was hoping to get to in the short term, so I’m pleased. Even if I need heavy, HEAVY assistance from the internet, I’m feeling much more able to make my way through it.

13 Likes

Got a bunch of questions, but I’ll start with this sentence from pg. 27: 使うあてのない部費をもらってもしょうがないでしょう. I’m particularly struggling with もらってもしょうがない, not even quite sure how to break that into words to look up. Thanks for your help!

5 Likes

In terms of vocab - I felt like chapter 3 was fairly good on words I was already familiar with from WK and reading elsewhere etc so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As long as you’re keeping up with WK, and making a point to pick up words from your reading/listening/watching/playing/whatever, you’ll likely start finding more and more passages where you only need to look up a word or two

That said, there’s still plenty I don’t know yet - just that if you keep going you’ll pick up stuff you can transfer to other things you read and so on

5 Likes

verbても means ‘even if,’ and しょうがない is a set phrase which means it can’t be helped, or it’s pointless.
So I read it as ‘even if you receive (it), it’s pointless.’
I don’t really know about the あてのない bit though :face_with_monocle: couldn’t make sense of that one.

6 Likes

Glad to hear it! There was an instance or two where I realized I should’ve recognized a word from WK but some combination of getting a little too used to having to look things up or just not being quite ready yet to recognize it in the wild messed me up. 一生 comes to mind specifically, shoulda known that. But that one has always been a little weird to me… it’s not THAT unintuitive or anything, but the brain is odd about some words. I’m hopeful this experience failing to read it actually makes it stick better, now. 部 and related words might’ve come up so much I learned them from this alone, I hope (then again, looks like I’m coming up on that in WK rapidly anyway).

Word learning is just a very very long process but there’s nothing particularly hard about remembering any given word, just have to do that thousands of times over, so I’m not too stressed on that. Still working through Genki 2 so my words I specifically study are coming out of there, but I’m not terribly far from being free from text books and probably picking up words from media from there on out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll make an attempt at this, but someone can feel free to correct me if any of this is incorrect or poorly explained:

Summary

使う = to use
あてのない = aimless (according to jisho)
部費 = club funds
もらう = to have something done for you
しょうがない = pointless
でしょう = probably

So the first thing that stands out to me is that 使うあてのない is modifying 部費 so that would be along the lines of club funds that are used aimlessly

もらう has ても attached to it, which is an even if/even though type deal
So now you have even if given club funds that are used aimlessly

What is the statement from the if? It’s pointless, probably
So putting it all together you have even if you are given club funds which are used aimlessly, it’s pointless, probably

I think that makes sense? Hopefully it helps

11 Likes
Page 24

When うるし says 「だって部にしたいしさ」, is she simply just saying “because I want new members in the club.” I feel like I’m over thinking this one or just missing the boat completely. Help appreciated.

7 Likes

I believe it’s “Because I want to be a club.” I am still parsing through the chapter (having a bit more trouble with this chapter honestly), but I believe that they need 2 more members to be officially recognised as a club by the school. So when asked why she wants more members, she responds that she wants to be an actual club. I could be wrong on that, but that’s my current intepretation.

14 Likes

That has to be it! あと二人部員集めると部にできるんだ After gathering two more club members the club will be complete. Thanks for your help

6 Likes

I have a related question on pg. 25. I can’t understand ここ部じゃなかったんですか and I’m struggling with あれは勝手に貼ってるだけだ I think it’s talking about the sign, maybe it being arbitrarily put up? But I’m pretty lost.

6 Likes

That’s one part I have been struggling with also, so take this with a grain of salt. I’m using this to sorta try and work through my own interpretation too, so it’s gonna be a bit ugly. すみません🙇‍♂️

Pg. 25

ここ = here. I think it’s meaning here as in “up to now.” So this is a hard one, but I’m pretty sure ここ can be for recent past with time. I’m not totally confident, and would love a correction if I’m wrong.

部 = club

じゃなかったんですか = past tense form of じゃない

だって = even, emphasis

So, “Up to now, this wasn’t even a club.”

あれ = that

勝手 = one’s convenience; selfishness

貼っている = to be affixed/put up (referring to the poster)

だけだ = just; only, with the sentence ender だ.

So, I think this is saying, essentially, “That [poster] was something I put up just for my own benefit/convenience.”

Put both together, you get, “Up to now, this wasn’t even a club. That poster was something I put up just for my own benefit/convenience.”

I think that’s the spirit of it, though not exact. It got me through the page and chapter. If I’m wrong, somebody please feel free to correct me. Like I mentioned above, this chapter is giving me a little more trouble for some reason.

12 Likes

I think you’ve pretty much got it. I take the かって here to mean something like “without permission”. As in she did it on her own authority, without consulting anybody. I feel like I’ve heard it used that way in anime, like when a character uses it to say how it’s their choice what hairstyle they use (as in they don’t need anyone’s permission to change their hairstyle).

11 Likes

Thank you! This has helped immensely. I have one last question from chapter 3. Can you help me with these sentences on pg. 27. 何かさっきからおかしくない!? 何か私攻められてる!?

5 Likes
Pg. 25

So after all that, I have to say… I’m second guessing myself now, and that first statement might be Ayumu talking… Urushi seems to exclusively talk casually, while Ayumu uses です and polite forms of speech. The panels don’t seem to lend themselves that way (his mouth isn’t shown to be open) but why would Urushi suddenly have one sentence ending with ですか and then suddenly everything else goes back to being casual?

With that intepretation, and the realisation that the か makes a questioning particle, would it be better to say that means Ayumu asks, “Here, weren’t we a club?” in reference to the poster, and then Urushi responds with the comment about it being for her own benefit? What do you think?

6 Likes
Pg. 27

I think those translate, respectively:

「何かさっきからおかしくない!?」

“Isn’t something strange since a bit ago!?”

I.e., she is saying he is acting strangely.

「何か私攻められてる!?」

“Is something making you aggressive to me!?”

I feel less confident about the second, but basically intepreted it as her saying he seems upset, which, he certainly does seem to be bothered by the thought of having others involved.

4 Likes

That’s kind of how I read it too, bc I also noticed that Urushi never uses polite forms.

I read it like: Ayumu: This wasn’t a club? (indicating the poster saying otherwise)
Urushi: That (poster) I just put up arbitrarily.

that’s the vibe :tm: I was getting anyway

10 Likes
Page 27

First sentence:
何か is like “Doesn’t it seem like”
さっきから is like “for a while now”
おかしくない means “strange” (normally it’s おかしい but she’s negating it here)

So the whole thing is like “Hasn’t there something weird going on here for the past few minutes?”

Second sentence:
何か is the same as the first sentence
私 is “I”
攻められてる is like “being attacked” (remember in an earlier chapter she said Ayumu is always on the offensive.

So the whole thing is like “I feel like I’m being attacked!”. Of course, not literally being attacked. It’s because he’s pushing back on her wanting more members.

6 Likes