Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

I saw this challenge on Bunproโ€™s forums and I thought it would be fun to revive it over here.

The challenge is simple, write at least one new sentence a day. I recommend incorporating new vocabulary or grammar. Make it as simple or as difficult as you want, but make sure to practice. :slight_smile:

Iโ€™ll start.
่šŠใฏๅƒ•ใ‚’้ฃŸในใ‚‹ใฎใŒๅฅฝใใ€‚

Mosquitoes ใ‹ like to eat ใŸในใ‚‹ me ใผใ.

20 Likes

ๆฏŽๆ—ฅใพใ„ใซใกใ€ๆ–‡็ซ ใถใ‚“ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚’ๆ›ธใ‹ใใ‚ˆใ†ใซใ—ใพใ™๏ผ

Translation

I will try to write a sentence every day!

Format for writing Furigana btw

<ruby>ๆผขๅญ—<rp></rp><rt>[spoiler]ใ‹ใ‚“ใ˜[/spoiler]</rt><rp></rp></ruby>

Also not sure if everyone would like this, but I think itโ€™s great if we give each other feedback on sentences?

• Frick yeah! I love feedback!
  • Nah, Iโ€™m just here for writing my sentences
  • I am addicted to clicking polls, but donโ€™t want to affect the test results

0 voters

5 Likes

ๆฏŽๆ—ฅๆ–‡็ซ ใ‚’่€ƒใˆใ‚‹ใฎใŒ้›ฃใ—ใ„ใ‘ใฉใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚ˆใ†ใจใ—ใพใ™๏ผ

ไฝ•ใ‚‚่€ƒใˆใ‚‰ใ‚Œใชใ„ใชใ‚‰ใ€ใ“ใฎๆ–‡ใ‚’็ฟป่จณใ—ใฆใฟใฆใใ ใ•ใ„

I have a three legged cat.

โ€˜Will we ever be able to overcome our crippling fear of elevators?โ€™ said Sherlock Holmes to his trusty companion, Doctor Watson.

1 Like

ใŸใใ•ใ‚“ๆ™‚้–“ใ‚’ใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

2 Likes

ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏ้›ฃใ—ใ„ๅฏใ‚‹ใฎใซๆš‘ใ„ๅคฉๆฐ—ใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸใ€‚ :sweat:

2 Likes

ใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

ใใฎๆ™‚้–“ใ€ไฝ•ใ‚’ใ—ใพใ—ใŸใ‹ใ€‚

1 Like

If Iโ€™m correct, are you saying that you and your daughter had difficulty going to bed despite the hot weather?

I think this sentence says that despite you and your daughter going to bed, the weather was hot.

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/130

1 Like

ใˆใˆใ€œ ใ‚ใ‚ŠใŒใจใ†

ๅคšๅˆ†
ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏ้›ฃใ—ใ„ๅฏใ‚‹ใฎใงๆš‘ใ„ๅคฉๆฐ—ใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸใ€‚
ใพใŸใฏ
ๆš‘ใ„ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‹ใ‚‰ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏ้›ฃใ—ใ„ๅฏใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

2 Likes

I think the latter has a correct sentence structure, though I think ๅคฉๆฐ—ใฏๆš‘ใ„ใ‹ใ‚‰ is much clearer as a first part.

The first sentence should be treated like the sentence order of ใฎใซ, so cause before, then consequence after the keyword.

Also, to say that an action is some adverb, it would be better to use ใ“ใจ in the structure. For example, ใ”้ฃฏใ‚’้ฃŸในใ‚‹ is โ€œto eat riceโ€, while ใ”้ฃฏใ‚’้ฃŸในใ‚‹ใ“ใจ is the concept of eating rice. So if I wanted to say that eating rice is amazing, I would say ใ”้ฃฏใ‚’้ฃŸในใ‚‹ใ“ใจใŒใ™ใ”ใ„ใงใ™

Similarly, I think a better structure for your sentence would be

ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏๅฏใ‚‹ใ“ใจใŒ้›ฃใ—ใ„

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/98

Another option is to simply use the structure of Verb[stem] + ใซใใ„ which means โ€œitโ€™s hard to verbโ€.

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/100

Hope that helps :blush:

3 Likes

ๆš‘ใ‹ใฃใŸใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏใ‚ใพใ‚Šๅฏใ‚‰ใ‚Œใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€‚
Because it was hot, my daughter and I could hardly sleep.

Or, if you havenโ€™t had potential yet,

ๆš‘ใ‹ใฃใŸใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ๅจ˜ใจๅƒ•ใฏใ‚ใพใ‚Šๅฏใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใ€‚
Because it was hot, my daughter and I hardly slept.

3 Likes

ใ”้ฃฏใฏ้ฃŸในใ‚„ใ™ใ„ใงใ™๏ผŸ

1 Like

Yeah ok, but for the sake of showing the structure :sweat_smile:

EDIT: I have changed the example and will add that option

Yeah, I think if youโ€™d used ็ฐกๅ˜ instead, it would have been fine.

1 Like

ๆ˜ฅใŒใ„ใ‚‹ใ ใ‘ใฉไปŠๆ—ฅใฏใจใฆใ‚‚ๅฏ’ใ‹ใฃใŸใ ใ‚ˆ๏ผ

2 Likes

ๆ˜ฅใ ใฃใฆ๏ผŸใฉใ“ใซไฝใ‚“ใงใ„ใพใ™ใ‹ใ€‚ใ“ใ“ใฏใจใฆใ‚‚ๆš‘ใ„ๅคใ ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ใ‚ชใƒผใ‚นใƒˆใƒฉใƒชใ‚ขใจใ‹ใงๅ†ฌใฎใฏใšใงใ™ใญใ€‚

2 Likes

Be careful with your adjectives. Just like in English, you need an adverb to modify a verb. (Also ๅฏใ‚‹ is ichidan).

Also, I hope you donโ€™t feel weโ€™re jumping on every mistake to make you feel bad. Your sentence, while not perfect, got your point across, so it was a good effort!

2 Likes

ใƒกใƒซใƒœใƒซใƒณใซไฝใ‚€ใ€‚ใ“ใ“ใฎๅญฃ็ฏ€ใฏๆ˜ฅๅ…ˆใ ๅƒ•ใฎๆค็‰ฉใซๆ–ฐใ—ใ„็”Ÿใˆใฆใ„ใ‚‹่‘‰ใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€‚ :smile:

3 Likes

ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใฎๅ‹‰ๅผทใ—ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

1 Like

ๅƒ•ใผใใฎๆ„šใŠใ‚ใ‹ใชๅŒๅƒšใฉใ†ใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†ใฏๆ˜ผไผ‘ใฟใฒใ‚‹ใ‚„ใ™ใฟไธญใกใ‚…ใ†ๆš‘ใ„ๅคฉๆฐ—ใ‚ใคใ„ใฆใ‚“ใใซๆ•ฃๆญฉใ•ใ‚“ใฝใ—ใพใ™๏ผใชใ‚“ใง๏ผŸ๏ผ

Translation

My foolish colleagues are taking a walk in the heat during lunch break! Why?!

Questions: is ๆ„šใ‹ to harsh here, and is ใชใ‚“ใง the correct way to express surprise? Also, how would I talk about โ€œthe heatโ€ as in โ€œTheyโ€™re walking through the heatโ€.

Iโ€™m not quite sure what you want to say with this sentence. Could you explain?

EDIT:

Ah, that would make sense.