Genki I study group [home thread]

Hi everyone!
I’m hoping to jump in this week.
I’ve been interested in Japanese culture my whole life, especially Japanese literature. I have wanted to begin studying for years. This study group seems a great way to motivate people, and to foster a sense of a study community. :woman_student: :man_student:
Good luck everyone this week catching up, and good luck everyone going into chapter 5!

8 Likes

Hi again everyone \o/ lets do a poll to help decide what to do next
On the 15th, we should…

• Start chapter 5
  • Have another catch up week
  • Something else (comment)

0 voters

Once we start chapter 5, we should

• Allow one week per chapter like we’ve been doing
  • Allow two weeks per chapter
  • Do multiple chapters at once
  • Some other option (comment)

0 voters

2 Likes

2 weeks per chapter seems a bit long, but a lot of people really want another catch up week now, which could be mitigated by more time per chapter. Difficult decision.

2 Likes

Maybe we can do like 9-10 days per chapter? 2 or so extra days per chapter. I’m fine with one week but some weeks with my work schedule it get’s pretty stresfull xD

1 Like

9-10 days might work really well honestly. Chapter 6 is where we learn て-form and it only gets more difficult from there. I’m ahead because I started earlier, but it takes a lot more effort to do the workbook practice later on.

2 Likes

Hmm… 10 days maybe…?

1 Like

If we do 10 days per chapter, we could start on the 21th (it’s more convenient to remember)

That means another catch up week!

Halfway happy :upside_down_face: What do you think everyone? :yum:

5 Likes

Many people are on holidays or will be going, so I would be glad if the speed could slow down slightly. Maybe stick with 1 lesson per week, but every 2nd time there is a catch up week in between?
Lesson 5 - Lesson 6 - Catchup Week - Lesson 7 - Lesson 8 - Catchup Week - Lesson 9 - Lesson 10 - Catchup Week - Lesson 11 - Lesson 12 - Final Catchup Week(s?)

1 Like

I honestly think we should just keep moving forward. People can always post in previous threads and people do go back and answer questions, so I don’t think it would be an issue. People who are keeping up have nowhere to discuss anything and might not be getting their questions answered.

3 Likes

Alright everyone, I have closed the polls and decided what we are going to do.
Thank you everyone for voting and for sharing your suggestions.
For multiple reasons (poll results, your feedback and my schedule), I have decided the following:

We will start chapter 5 on August 21
We will allow 9 days for each chapter

Thank you for your understanding everyone and I look forward to studying with you again soon! : D

8 Likes

わぁー 私が遅れな。

Chapter 5 thread is now up:

1 Like

Just recieved my copy of Genki I, time for me to catch up with you guys !

4 Likes

Almost caught up! Chapter 3 was deceptively short. Lots of content packed in there.

1 Like

I’m glad I found this too. I want to try and take the N5 test in December so going to try and catch up!

3 Likes

Got my Genki books today! Was thinking if I should wait for the third edition coming out in February, but I’ve been so motivated lately so I went ahead and got them. Can’t wait to start!

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I would like to apologize for not putting up the Chapter 6 discussion thread earlier. I was supposed to do it 3 days ago. It’s ready now, but I had to shift the dates for everyone to have enough time.
I am also sorry that I haven’t been participating very much even though I was the one who started this and am in charge of it. I got very behind, in case you cant tell I am just starting chapter 3. I have a plan and I think I will be able to catch up by chapter 9. But either way, I will still refer to and participate in the threads, even if they aren’t the current one. Thanks everyone for you understanding and for participating! : D

The chapter 6 thread:

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaa
Late again, but here is the chapter 7 thread:

2 Likes

I’m going to take a break at ch 7 for the time being. I’m moving to Osaka to a language school so i don’t know if I will be able to continue with the Genki.

I have read somewhere that they are going to release a new edition of the book? I will want to know more about that…
Good luck everyone!!

2 Likes

You can find more Information on the 3rd Edition here:

and here:

1 Like