Genki I study group [home thread]

hope everyones doing well! are we due to start chapter 3 today? cant find a discussion thread for it?

Yep, we start today! :slight_smile: @Jiggly_Jellyfish will make the ch3 thread soon. :wink:

2 Likes

Good Luck!

1 Like

@Joesan88 @MalbonaGenio and everyone else: Here is the new thread, sorry for the delay!

2 Likes

So, I know this started about two weeks ago, but hopefully itā€™s ok if I jump in and join. I started learning Japanese with Genki and a tutor back in late January, but had to take a break from it in mid-April, and Iā€™m just getting back to it now. I read (most of) chapters 1-5 back then, so the first five chapters would be review and workbook exercises for me, but I think that would be very beneficial at this point.

7 Likes

Great! Then you will čæ½ć„恤恏 with us in Ch3 in no time! :smiley:
é ‘å¼µć£ć¦ć­!

2 Likes

are there any other communication or chatting platform for this tread? like wpp, telegram or discord? i think it would be easier, at least for me, to talk and be in touch with people here, it would keep me motivated

1 Like

J<>E dictionaries are very useful. I have an app on my phone, Imiwa?, that is fantastic, especially if you can turn on kanji script-writing functions on your phone.

1 Like

Well, well ā€¦ you go on holiday once only to come back and find out you guys started something awesome! :grin:
Iā€™ve been wanting to go through Genki for about two (?) years now, and only got to finish chapter six on my own :see_no_evil: I read the grammar information of the following chapters (ā€œfinishedā€ Genki I), but I coudlnā€™t get myself to do the exercises.

So, thanks for coming up with this! Maybe Iā€™ll join when you get there :wink:
Not sure if I can manage a chapter per week, but we will see :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Not sure if people have seen this before or not, but for anyone who is interested in videos that explain the textbook concepts, Michiyo Wojnovichā€™s YouTube channel has lessons that go over everything in the Genki textbooks.

7 Likes

Iā€™m so glad thereā€™s going to be a catch-up week after chapter 4! Iā€™ve been running super behind schedule and Iā€™m still working on the čŖ­ćæę›ø恍ē·Ø sections on both the textbook and workbook. Who else is doing the kitsun.io Genki deck? Itā€™s been super helpful for me, but some of the kanji has been throwing me off (ļæ£ā–½ļæ£*)悞

3 Likes

Does anyone know where/how I can get the audio for the lessons digitally ? I lost the cd that came with the book a while back

Maybe this can help, I think somebody shared a link to Gdrive with audio files as well.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thereā€™s also this link for the workbook that I think @tip posted: https://www.gvsu.edu/lrc/genki-i-workbook-148.htm

Iā€™ve been using both links and theyā€™ve been super useful!

3 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate it!

About how long does it take to get through a chapter if you buckle down and work at it?

Depends on your knowledge so far, I suppose. The first 2 chapters are relatively quick if you basic stuff (probably even if you dont). Around 3 hours, maybe? More if you go for all the exercises in both books.
Chapter 4 seems to have a lot more exercises, so that may only be accurate for the first couple of chapters.

Also, heck yeah! Just burned my first items in my review session. Feels good!

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the reading sections at the back. Thereā€™s 4 separate sections for each chapter (2 in each book), which does add up to a lot of work. More if you try to do the pair/group exercises. (I do them with a skype tutor, but we get through like, a chapter per month)

@Evueimeimei of course its not too late, please jump in anytime : D
@fakemailc18 no there are not, it was already decided a while ago that this forum will be the only discussion place

2 Likes