Genki I study group, chapter 5 discussion thread

Hello everyone, welcome to the fifth chapter (^.^)(^。^)(^-^)(^A^)(^_^)
If you haven’t already, please check out the home thread for our study group here.
Please use this thread to discuss Genki I, chapter five. Talk about what you learned, ask questions, and do group activities together. Also please compare answers, BUT please use spoiler formatting so that people who haven’t done the worksheets yet can’t cheat on accident.
Update: Also, there is an answer key for Genki and multiple users have posted screenshots of them. Thank you for these contributions!
You can format a spoiler like this:

[spoiler][the answer to a question in genki][/spoiler]

Thank you everyone for participating! If you are a little behind that’s totally fine, just be sure to use the Chapter 4 thread instead.

4 Likes

As usual, sorry if the formatting is off in places (I’m copying them from a personal doc) and feel free to correct anything as I haven’t looked at this chapter in over a week.

Chapter 5 Notes

Chapter 5

Adjectives

い-adjectives (面白い映画 interesting movie)

affirmative negative
Non-past formal 面白いです 面白くないです
Past formal 面白かったです 面白くなかったです

な-adjectives (元気な先生 energetic teacher)

affirmative negative
Non-past formal 元気です 元気じゃないです
Past formal 元気でした 元気じゃなかったです

Irregular (いい good)

affirmative negative
Non-past formal いいです よくないです
Past formal よかったです よくなかったです

CASUAL ADJECTIVES

い-adjectives (面白い映画 interesting movie)

Drop です from formal to make い-adjectives informal

affirmative negative
Non-past informal 面白い 面白くない
Past informal 面白かった 面白くなかった

な-adjectives (元気な先生 energetic teacher)

• For affirmative, add informal endings in place of formal endings

• For negative, simply drop です from end

affirmative negative
Non-past informal 元気だ 元気じゃない
Past informal 元気だった 元気じゃなかった

Irregular (いい good)

• Drop です from formal
affirmative negative
Non-past informal いい よくない
Past informal よかった よくなかった

好きな・嫌いな “like/dislike”

Xは Yが (好き・嫌い) です。 X likes/dislikes Y.

は marks the person experiencing like/dislike; が marks the liked object instead of を

好きな and 嫌いな both act as な adjectives. They can also be translated to likeable/dislikable to show they are adjectives.

The thing that is liked or disliked uses the particle が

• ロバートさんは日本語のクラス好きです。Robert likes Japanese class (In regards to Robert, Japanese class is likeable.)

To show that you neither like or dislike something, use this sentence

• 好きでも嫌いでもないです。I neither like nor dislike it.

To show that something is your favorite, use the な-form of 好きな.

• これは私の好きな本です。This is my favorite book.

大 can be added to the beginning of either to show extreme like or dislike

• 私はビールが大嫌いです。I hate tea.

∼ましょう・∼ましょうか “Let’s…”

A formal, but less polite way of inviting someone along

Formed using the same stem as ます-form, but replace ます with ましょう

• 一緒に図書館で勉強しましょう。Let’s study together in the library.

• 喫茶店でコーヒーを飲みましょうか。Shall we drink coffee in the cafe?

DICTIONARY NOTES (p. 240)

• “A verb ending which indicates the first person’s volition or invitation in formal speech”
  • Less polite than using ませんか, but still a formal verb ending

CASUAL NOTES

• The casual volitional is formed using these rules
  • る-verbs: drop る and add よう
    • 見る→見よう
  • う-verbs: drop う and add おう (change hiragana ending in う to お form)
    • 行く→行こう
    • 買う→買おう
  • Irregulars
    • する→しよう
    • 来る→来よう (こよう)
  • This will be explained in more detail in Genki II, Lesson 15

Counting

There are many different counting words depending on what you are counting

Numeral + counter

• 三日 “three days” 三つ “three things”

• リーさんは切手を三枚買いました。Lee bought three stamps.

10 Likes

Your notes are always so helpful for review <3 Thank you!

2 Likes

Good to be back with a thread to discuss things!

Pair Work

I've posted some pair work below in case anyone would like to do it along with me!

Page 141, A

1. なっとうが好きですか。
2. ゴフルが好きですか。
3. ジャズが好きですか。
4. しゅくだいが好きですか。
5. 酒が好きですか。

Page 142, A

1. 先週は忙しかったですか。
2. 先週は元気でしたか。
3. 高校は大きかったですか。古かったですか。
4. 時計は高かったですか。
5. かばんは新ですか。
6. 部屋は綺麗ですか。小さいですか。
7. 先生は優しですか。

Also thought we should participate in Show & Tell, so here’s my photo.

先月フロリダに行きました。海は綺麗でした。旅行はとても楽しかったです!

3 Likes

Just a small correction here: the first “ha” has to be a “ga”. I’m really jealous of your vacation!

Thank you for the correction! But which sentence are you referring to, the vacation sentences describing the ocean and the trip?

The ocean. I think it has to do with describing the appearance of something. Although now that I think about it both might be correct, but “ga” has a more natural feeling to me.
Anyone correct me if I’m wrong.

Oh I see. I’ll look more into describing appearances. Thanks!

Out of curiosity is there any hints to distinguishing between い or な adjectives? I saw there was some hints of narrowing down う and る verbs from Chapter 3, but wasn’t sure if there was anything similar or should I just be memorizing individually from the start?

Thanks much!

Well aside from that fact that い adjectives end in い and most な adjectives don’t end in い(as the な isn’t added on unless there’s something after the な adjective like a noun) it think you just have to memorise them.

When I learn them I distinguish them by writing the な in brackets after the なadjectives. What you could also do is write the past form next to each one as the past forms differ for い and な

If you want to really cement it you could write some sentences out with the different tense adjectives. Then it’d really stick, but tbh as far as I’ve learnt a lot of な adjectives don’t end in I so they’re easy to remember.

Hope this helps :smile:

P.s. genki separates them for you anyway in the vocab section so if you copied them down separate it should be easier to distinguish in your brain. Maybe use a different coloured highlighter for both if you’re writing on paper. So all い adjectives you could highlight pink and all な adjectives you could highlight yellow.

2 Likes

This was the last chapter that was review for me, hopefully that won’t mean that the rest goes slower than the review chapters did.

Related to this chapter, I was watching an adjective video on Japanese Ammo with Misa, and she mentions that many textbooks teach やさしい as both easy and kind, and while this isn’t strictly wrong, かんたん(な) is much more common for easy. This chapter of Genki does teach やさしい for both, so it many be worth learning both やさしい and かんたん.

Chapter 5 Notes

Adjectives

• Although Japanese adjective have functions to modify nouns, like English, they also function as verbs when used as predicates.
  • There are two types of adjectives, grouped based on their last syllables when modifying nouns: い-adjectives and な-adjectives. Note that some な-adjectives do end in い when not modifying nouns.
  • Japanese adjectives conjugate in tense and polarity similar to verbs.
  • You can add “degree adverbs” before adjectives.
    • Example:
      • この部屋へやはちょっとあついです。= This room is a little hot.

好き/きらい

• In sentences using 好き or きらい, the person who likes or dislikes is marked with は and the person or thing that is liked or disliked is marked with が. (が will be replace with は in contexts where multiple things are being contrasted).
    • XはYが好きです。= X likes Y. (replace 好き with きらい for dislike)
  • Add だい before 好き or きらい to indicate strong like or dislike.
    • たけしさんはお茶が大好きです。= Takeshi really likes tea. (Takeshi “loves” tea.)
  • 好きな and きらいな can be used to modify nouns.
    • Example:
      • これは私の好きな本です。= This is my favorite book.
  • To say you neither like or dislike something:
    • 好きでもきらいでもないです。= I neither like nor dislike (it).
  • Cultural note: It’s considered more polite (and is more common) to say that you don’t like something (好きじゃないです) rather than that you dislike it (きらいです).

~ましょう/~ましょうか

• ~ましょう and ~ましょうか can replace ~ます to say “let’s…” or “shall we…”
    • Examples:
      • すしを食べましょう。= Let’s eat sushi.
      • 日本語で話しましょうか。= Shall we speak in Japanese?

Counting

• Different counting words are used for different kind of items. Number words often come after the items counted.
  • New counting word: まい = counter for sheets of paper, stamps, and other flat objects.
    • Example:
      • りーさんは切手きって三枚買さんまいかいました。= Lee bought 3 stamps.
1 Like

こんにちはみんな!

I am doing a catch up on these reviews but hope everyone’s studies are going great! Just trying to memorize the い and な adjective forms; I do get mixed up a lot on the colloquial vs conservative, but unless I plan to move to Japan or talk with Japanese speakers on a daily basis, I will try to just focus on the conservative forms. Here are Chapter 5 answers.

Genki Textbook Answers

Genki Textbook Answers 読み書き編

Genki Workbook Answers

Happy studying! :high_touch:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.