Genki I study group, chapter 6 discussion thread

Hello everyone, welcome to the sixth chapter (^.^)(^。^)(^-^)(^A^)(^_^)((((;゚Д゚)))))))

If you haven’t already, please check out the home thread for our study group here.
Please use this thread to discuss Genki I, chapter six. Talk about what you learned, ask questions, and do group activities together. Also please compare answers, BUT please use spoiler formatting so that people who haven’t done the worksheets yet can’t cheat on accident.
Also, there is an answer key for Genki and multiple users have posted screenshots of them. Thank you for these contributions!
You can format a spoiler like this:

[spoiler][the answer to a question in genki][/spoiler]

Thank you everyone for participating! If you are a little behind that’s totally fine, just be sure to use the Chapter 5 thread instead.

4 Likes

:eyes:
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

AAA dang it, I was sure I fixed that!! Thanks for pointing it out, its fixed now lol

1 Like

Getting into て-form now! Here’s my notes, as always. I haven’t looked at these in a few weeks so please let me know if anything doesn’t look right.

Chapter 6 Notes

Chapter 6

て-form

Used to:

• Make a request (∼ください “please”)
  • Give and ask for permission (∼手もいいです・∼てもいいですか “you may…/May I…”)
  • State something that is forbidden (∼てはいけません “You must not…”)
  • Describe two events or activities (Vて, Vます “I did this and this”)

Forming て-form

る-verbs: Drop る and add て (食べる→食べて)

う-verbs:

• う・つ・る: Drop う・つ・る and add って (会う→会って)

• む・ぶ・ぬ: Drop む・ぶ・ぬ and add んで (飲む→飲んで)

• く: Drop く and add いて (聞く→聞いて) (ex/行く→行って)

• ぐ: Drop ぐ and add いで (泳ぐ→泳いで)

• す: Drop す and add して (話す→話して)

Irregular verbs

• する→して

• 来る→来て (きて)

DICTIONARY NOTES (p. 464)

• て-form can function to link sentences. It’s purpose for verbs and adjectives is similar to the function of と for nouns
    • 私は歩いて帰った。I walked and went home.
    • 私の部屋は狭くて暗い。My room is small and dark.
  • て-form can also be combined with other expressions
    • て+いる “be doing…”
    • て+から “after”
    • て+はいけない “must not do…”

∼てください “Please do…”

Just add ください to the end of the て-form to make a request

• 日本語を教えてください。 Please teach me Japanese.

DICTIONARY NOTES (p. 209)

• “An auxiliary verb which indicates a polite request”
  • The request can be made even more polite if you use the negative form of ください, which is くださいませんか
    • 明日、八時に来てくださいませんか。Would you please come at 8:00 tomorrow?

CASUAL NOTES

• In more casual speech, you can simply drop ください and make a request using て-form

∼てもいいです “You may do…”

To form, simply add もいいです・もいいですか to the て-form

Used to say that you are allowed to do something

• この映画を見てもいいです。Is it okay to watch this movie.

Question form used to ask if you are allowed to do something

• この映画を見てもいいですか。Is it okay to watch this movie?

Short answer to this question is just いいです。

DICTIONARY NOTES (p.471)

• “A phrase which expresses permission or concession”
  • When てもいい is preceded by a verb, it is referring to permission
  • This phrase can also be used with adjectives and nouns
    • い-adjectives: drop い and add くてもいい
      • 高くてもいい It is alright if it is expensive.
    • な-adjectives: use な form and add でもいい to it
      • 静かでもいい It is alright if it is quiet.
    • Nouns: add でもいい after the noun
      • 先生でもいい It is alright if someone is a teacher.

CASUAL NOTES

• Just drop です to make this phrase more informal

∼てはいけません “You must not do…”

To make this phrase, just add はいけません to the て-form

• ここで写真を撮ってはいけません。You must not take pictures here.

The は in はいけません is pronounced わ, like you’re using the particle は

CASUAL NOTES

• Change はいけません to はいけない
    • とばこを吸ってはいけません→とばこを吸ってはいけない You must not smoke.
  • To be even more informal, use ちゃだめ
    • Take て-form, change て to ちゃ , then add だめ
      • で (飲んで) changes to じゃ (飲んじゃだめ)
    • とばこを吸っちゃだめ You should not smoke.
    • ちゃだめ is also softer and less harsh than はいけません

Describing Two Activities

You can use て-form to combine two or more verbs. て-form basically acts for verbs and adjectives like how と acts for noun phrases.

• ノートを借りて、コピーします。I will borrow her notes and (then) copy them.

The tense of the verb at the end of the sentence determines the tense of the sentence.

• 今日、六時に起きて、勉強した。Today I got up at 6:00 and (then) studied.

When listing many verbs, you would use ~たり to mean “and.” This is different from ~て which means “and then” to show actions happening sequentially (see Ch. 11)

• 日本に行って、すしを食べたり、写真を撮ったり、富士山に登ったりしたいです。I want to go to Japan and (then) eat sushi, take pictures, climb Mt. Fuji, (and other stuff).

∼から “because”

Explains the cause or reason of a situation

(explanation)から。(situation).

• 日本にいたから、野球を見た。Because I was in Japan, I watched baseball.

DICTIONARY NOTES (p. 179)

• “A subordinate conjunction which expresses a reason or a cause”
  • The から clause (reason), always precedes the main clause when writing
  • Question and answer:
    • どうして日本語を勉強しているんですか。Why are you studying Japanese?
    • 来年日本へ行くからです。Because I and going to Japan next year.

から vs. ので

• から is always used when speaking informally, but both can be used in formal speech
    • 猫はかわいいから、好きだ。I like cats because they are cute.
  • ので is used when you are the one at fault and are taking the blame, while から is interchangeable with ので in other formal situations.
    • 体調が良くないので、学校に行きません。I’m not going to school because I don’t feel well. ONLY ので CAN BE USED HERE!
    • 日本が好きですから、日本語を勉強しています。OR
    • 日本が好きなので、日本語を勉強しています。I’m learning Japanese because I like Japan.

∼ましょうか “Let me do…”

In addition to meaning “Let’s…” it can also be used in a situation where you are offering assistance to someone.

• 荷物を持ちましょうか。Shall I carry your bag?
6 Likes

Hi again everyone, once again I am late to making a new thread so I apologize for that ;-;
It seems that these threads are getting less and less active, which is sad but I think I will keep making new threads anyways, people can always come back to them later (like me lol)
So here is the chapter 7 thread:

こんにちはみんな!Even though I did this chapter a while back, I’m still trying to get down the て forms. I am always trying to find things that help me memorize the stuff I learned. I found a good phone app called “Japanese Conjugation City” that allows you to practice all affirmative/negative forms including て form. Another resource that helped me was the て form song . I didn’t think it would work but as I was writing out sentences, I was quicker to remember the て form for that verb.

But here are the answers for this Chapter 6!

Genki Textbook Answers

Genki Textbook Answers 読み書き編

Genki Workbook Answers

Happy Studying!:high_touch:

1 Like

て-form was pretty intimidating to me at first, but it doesn’t seem so bad once you use it often enough. Going through all the textbook practice + workbook and using bunpro really helps me. I also found Cure Dolly’s video on て-forms to be very helpful!

Also Jellyfish, definitely keep making the threads! It’s nice to have a place to discuss. I’ve been rather quiet since nothing seems to be particularly confusing in the past couple of chapters. If anyone wants to do pair work together with me, just tag me and I’ll be happy to participate!

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help me.

For the example sentence at the beginning of the lesson

教科書を持ってきてください

持つ is to hold
持って is the te form
持ってください is please hold something (?)
持ってくる is to bring (a thing)
^ is this essentially using 2 verbs to join using te? like using ‘to hold something’ and ‘to come’, which means to bring (a thing)?

but then you can bundle that with another te form?

which makes 持ってきてください

or is てくる more of a set phrase with certain things? most of the sentences have commas between the te form and the rest of the sentence. so it was a bit confusing.

edit: person below me’s answer is much better

sorry, I just want to help but I should wait until I’m much better at grammar

1 Like

てくる is a bit of a tricky thing, because it has a few different uses you will learn over time. However, in this case, treat it as a set phrase. The reason てくる becomes てきて is because of the ください request attached to it. If it was written as 「持って、きてください」it would mean a very unnatural “please hold [your textbook] and come here, please.”

3 Likes

Thankful for these notes. Because I have been doing this as independent study, I kinda moved on from Chapter 6 without really mastering this material, and I’ve had to review a lot. Some of the book practice activities in this section were particularly difficult for me, especially the ∼てはいけません “You must not do…” section, which the publishers decided to make an audio-only lesson instead of supplying the expressions written down too :frowning:

It’s good to read through this thread. And I’l use it to review some more this week before I move forward onto Unit 7 (again).

1 Like