Forecasting Reviews on the Dashboard

I must be blind but how do you even pull this statistic up on your dashboard? I dont see the option anywhere on mine.

I think it’s a great way to bring some of the useful timeline features from mobile apps and the Ultimate Timeline script into the base site without some of the information overload of Ultimate Timeline.

I had no problem following the new timeline - +34 means 34 new reviews, and the number next to it is how many reviews you’ll have. That’s actually really useful information that Ultimate Timeline doesn’t do.

Two suggestions:

• the Reviews button, with no reviews, should say instead when the next review will be. It’s a lot of real-estate for a disabled button.
  • it’d be useful if we could get indications on the timeline if a review in that set will guru the item, will burn the item, or will cause a level-up.
12 Likes

It’s a userscript. You have to install it separately.

Wow! Looking at the new dashboard makes me think I’m a superhero (or a power ranger?) behind the controls of a super cool machine! Wait Wait! I am a superhero and the super cool machine is the Crabigator!!!

How does one go about doing that?

3 Likes

This is a great suggestion. Not only would it give a use for the review button space, but it would also add the time until next review back into the dashboard, which is something I feel weird not having.

6 Likes

I personally like the the new design (using a Mac if that helps). Would be nicer if there was a slight change when clicking the larger review buttons (maybe a change in opacity or increase in size)

I like the new forecast feature.
I’m personally not a fan of the giant picture buttons, since I usually use wanikani at work and the pictures make the page look a bit childish. I would like it better if the buttons contained more information as someone suggested above, such as how long until your next review.

4 Likes

Them giant lesson/review buttons are a bit much soo… whipped this up real fast before bed.
Not well tested, and will likely need css updates when styles get removed (assuming they’ll do good cleanup)

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/397281-wk-smaller-lessons-and-reviews-buttons

3 Likes

I’m really glad WaniKani is integrating features of community-favorite userscripts into the core experience, and I think it’s a great idea to move in this direction. It won’t replace the timeline tool I use now, as it has more features and is easier for me to read at a glance, but I can imagine this will be welcome change for vanilla users. The design looks sleek as always!

4 Likes

Yup, as Leebo said, just look up “How to install userscripts” and “Best script collection” in the forum search to get you started

At the end of Thursday, yes, 330 (if you do no reviews).

(Emphasis mine)

It looks more like a table to me though, in which case there are no axes anyway.

It literally shows how many reviews are being added hour by hour (starting with the next passing hour), so I’m not sure where you’re getting 2b from.

2 Likes

As many have said, I feel the review and lesson buttons are a bit large. Maybe they could be scaled back to make a bit more room for the current lesson progress. It would be nice to see the kanji I’m currently learning more clearly. I’m also someone who uses the web version on my phone (I guess for easier switching to other sites? May give some of those apps a check.)

But I am personally a big fan of the review forecast. I’ve used the userscript review timeline before, but honestly found it kind of ugly and not super useful despite going at max pace. At least for me, going at max pace requires a schedule and notifications that remind me to get wanikani-ing, which can be more effectively achieved through setting weekly alarms or alerts instead of checking through the ultimate timeline to find the next critical review every few hours and then remembering to come back at that time.

This timeline looks much better imo and tells me at a glance how many reviews I will have waiting for me at a given time, which I quite like. I can easily see that I’ll have 81 reviews waiting for me tomorrow.

Finally, I’ve noticed that the bottom of many of the boxes has a small white shadow, which I don’t think I like. Though now that I check back on the current version it’s there too. Huh.

4 Likes

I believe 2b is about hours when you have no reviews (like Wednesday at 4am on your forecast). Instead of indicating that there is an hour with no reviews, it just jumps to 5am.

5 Likes

Awesome! I love it!

I really like it, except, as many people have already said, the numbers on the lesson and review buttons are far too small. The pictures (if needed at all) should be illustrating the numbers, not making them impossible to see. But, otherwise, as someone who uses WK without scripts, the addition of a timeline is really useful. Thank you.

2 Likes

I’ll just add my voice to what others have said. The buttons are way too big. The visual style and coloring that currently defines them in the live version is more than enough for anyone who can navigate a website in the first place to notice. In addition, the absurd size of the new buttons together with the cute but unrelated pictures means that they actually are less obvious now. Sure there’s a big crabgator looking at me, but that means nothing, and I think I’d be tempted to consider it a column header or illustration than a button.

And of course it pushes everything else down, which is frustrating, especially on mobile or, as in my case, when you like leaving windows side by side instead of filling the whole screen.

The review forecast is great, no complaints there, I’m just surprised to see the giant buttons going through when I remember seeing people voice their lack of enthusiasm about them in previous threads.

8 Likes