DanMachi Book Club Home Thread

Thank you! In that case I’ll definitely be a member of this book club starting from July-August.

1 Like

I’ll create the first week thread in around 24 hours, since everyone wants to start soon, and then ill check the reading speed before that to see if anyone else voted, only 4 people so far :disappointed:

3 Likes

Yeah starting a booclub is hard when there is sooo many already. Althought it is harder to keep people motivated if the is a lot of volumes.

頑張れ!!

4 Likes

Here is the week 1 discussion thread, lets start!
By the voting we will start at 10 pages a week, I hope thats acceptable to everyone.

@Ditto20-さん I hope you will still be joining us even though we are too slow for you! Sorry!

3 Likes

Well, the book was available at my local library, so I just rented it. Due to the time limit, I plan to finish in a couple of days (depending on the other book clubs), so I won’t be exactly reading along, but once again a book club has swayed me into reading something I would never have picked on my own. I hope y’all are happy :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I forgot to mention last week when I added the week 2 discussion here.

1 Like

Anyways now we are on the third week

Well, I finished the first volume.

Thoughts, mostly spoiler-free

I did like the book well enough (let’s say 6~7 out of 10), which puts the series in the “will read if available for free” range. And it is (from my local library), so I will probably keep going for a few more volumes.
As a fan of classic JRPG, I did like the way stats were dealt with. In particular, I like seeing them increase… and boy do they increase. Many classic monsters with equally classic naming schemes… which really makes no sense in the context. I assume the gods probably named them too. In fact, for a while I thought the “gods” were just players of a fully immersive MMORPG (think SAO) with the “children” being AI driven NPC… but (actual spoiler) they seem to be legit mythology gods.

My major concern when picking up this book was the presence of fan service. Not being part of the target audience, I was afraid it would get annoying, especially concerning (what I thought would be) the theme of the book. Well, the illustrations (especially the color ones) are the worst offenders, but can be easily ignored. The text has some too the most facepalm-y ones being the sound effects being added to Hestia’s breasts… like… why…, but overall remains relatively tame.

I did like the fact that the main character is considered good-looking, rather than the usual harem trope of having a sub-average loser somehow getting all the girls. At least, if he can make a goddess fall head over heels at first sight, it makes some sense that he would gather attention. Not from other guys, though, although he does “admit” to himself that another dude is good-looking, so mayyyyybeeeee? (But I’m not going to hold my breath)

Alright, that’s it for now. I might lurk a bit in the threads and see what people think.

3 Likes

Im glad you decided to read it!

I also enjoyed the stats in this series, and the gods are indeed real mythology gods and the “children” are just normal humans.

1 Like

Week 4 thread now up!

2 Likes

Started week 5!

1 Like

Week 6!

2 Likes

Week 7 thread

4 Likes

Just want to mention if anyone has been stuck at home with some extra free time, you can still pick up danmachi and join us if you’d like! We arent that far and you can always read ahead.

2 Likes

Head on over to week 8! (Now 20 pages/week)

1 Like

Week 9, now at 30 pages p/w

2 Likes

:crabigator: Week 10 :crabigator:

1 Like

Week 11!

2 Likes

Now on Week 12

2 Likes

Week 13 thread

2 Likes